Extraordinary Member

Default Aquaman: The Becoming #2 Preview

Aquaman: The Becoming #2 Preview
    Writer: Brandon Thomas
    Artists: Diego Olortegui and Skylar Patridge

Really liked the first issue, and I'm thrilled to see it's the same artist from #1

Great preview!

Mera in that dress .

(She should be queen...)

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

I'm not into women but I also noticed Mera in that dress She's so beautiful.

(And Jackson is cute. )
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

When will those guards ever learn that you don't just enter a hydrokinetic's room in an ocean uninvited

Sounds like a lot of the evidence pointing at Jackson is rooted in Xebel racism.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Sounds like a lot of the evidence pointing at Jackson is rooted in Xebel racism.
    Ah, a metaphor...

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I didn't think this was quite as strong as the first issue, but I'm still on board.

Can anyone fill me in on the story with Jackson's mother? I know all about his dad, but I'm not familiar with her. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I didn't think this was quite as strong as the first issue, but I'm still on board.

Can anyone fill me in on the story with Jackson's mother? I know all about his dad, but I'm not familiar with her. Thanks
    She's a Xebelian that found Manta and fell in love with him, not knowing that he was using her to get a treasure from Xebel and then he abandoned her when she was pregnant with his child and forced to live on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She's a Xebelian that found Manta and fell in love with him, not knowing that he was using her to get a treasure from Xebel and then he abandoned her when she was pregnant with his child and forced to live on the surface.
    So, aside from being from Xebel, is there anything significant about her? It seemed like she was aristocracy or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    So, aside from being from Xebel, is there anything significant about her? It seemed like she was aristocracy or something.
    I don't think she's, like, high up like Mera was but it seemed like she came from a renowned family that made it a big deal that she ended up helping a surfacer who stole from the kingdom.

Goes to show that when Manta goes and gets himself a girl that he gets the baddest one around who knows how to handle Atlantis guards.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I thought the issue did a terrible job of establishing the prejudice against Xebelians and who Jackson's mother is.
    Thomas should have actually reintroduced the history of Xebel to make it clear why there is so anymosity against them. As someone who is not very versed in Aquaman lore, not having the backstory felt like something was missing.
    For a mini that's supposed to be new-reader friendly as the introduction of a fresh take on Aquaman, I think it was a big misstep.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I thought the issue did a terrible job of establishing the prejudice against Xebelians and who Jackson's mother is.
    Thomas should have actually reintroduced the history of Xebel to make it clear why there is so anymosity against them. As someone who is not very versed in Aquaman lore, not having the backstory felt like something was missing.
    For a mini that's supposed to be new-reader friendly as the introduction of a fresh take on Aquaman, I think it was a big misstep.
    I would agree. Although I understand that anyone with a phone can easily Google this stuff whenever they want, it still feels like sloppy storytelling

I feel like googling things becomes a bit more difficult with time because we get more and more versions of same characters and concepts so what you found on google might not apply at all to current story.