Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I grew up in the 80's and back then we had two men Siskel and Ebert who could make or break a film with a thumbs up or down and I use to enjoy Siskel and Ebert but at least with RT is a score based off collection of many critics.

I don't care if going to restaurant, buying a car, or going to a movie people look at reviews and they should you should get an idea on the quality of something before spending your money on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The complaints over RT scores are overblown discussions. If one doesn't agree with majority of critics, then that's their prerogative. RT aggregates critics reviews from across the US and indeed other parts of the world, it's simply an indicator of what most critics like, it's not a "brain washing" technique to pull people in the theater.

But the whole conspiracy about RT favoring Marvel, Disney, Pixar e.t.c is daft. Common sense (and a little googling) will explain that Disney will have the movies with the best reviews simply because they acquired a number of studios that have hitherto possessed pretty good track records. Like, why is this difficult to understand? If Time-Warner or Universal or Paramount had acquired Pixar and Marvel, then it stands to reason that a good chunk of their output will get good reviews.

A few days ago, some folks were attacking Marvel fans for spreading false info about Venom until it was discovered it was some Lady Gaga fans just messing around. Folks need to stop taking this stuff so seriously and simply enjoy what they enjoy, the tribalization and organization of fans into "gangs" has simply created toxicity within the fandom.
    Many companies pay for their cars to get good reviews.

Probably because Last Jedi, Iron Man 3, Spiderman Homecoming, GOTG 2, Thor III and Black Panther raised a lot of suspicion. The conspiracy did not look so far-fetched anymore when we discovered Disney were trying buy the Oscars.If Disney could do that, do you think they can't influence a film's reception. Read the reviews for superhero films that took place in a non cinematic universe, you will see a massive difference. Take Black Panther for instance, read the reviews. apart from the black cast there is nothing in the reviews that is impressive about the film.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The secret to living with Rotten Tomatoes is to ignore the score and actually read the reviews .
    100% Agreed. How many movies mostly comic movies get great reviews for story, depth, talent and characters. If your movies are not getting any positive reviews for that you don't really have a good movie and you good reviews become very suspicious. One of my colleagues who I sit with at work was chatting about Ant-Man 2, he found the movie silly and funny. And I ask myself, how does silly and funny amount to good reviews? if you read the reviews for Ant-Man , it says the same thing.Read the reviews for Spiderman 2 or Batman Begins. Silly and Funny is not the reason those movies got good reviews.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 10-05-2018 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    There should be no other movies. Sony is clearly throwing a bunch of crap at the wall hoping for something to stick. Sony should do the smart thing and continue the Marvel deal.
    There should be more movies outside of cinematic universes.

I have not seen Venom but I don't buy for a second it is any worse than Ant-Man 2 or Infinity War. What makes Venon bad to critics? If it is bad cgi, then didn't black panther have bad cgi? if it is bad plot then wasn't Ant man 2 plot flat? if it is action non stop and no substance then isnt that what Infinity war is? No more deals with MCU. The Fox deal has been more of a killer to me since I know I won't get any non-MCU formula movie anymore as a marvel fan (Logan, Deadpool or DOFP). I don't want Sony to suffer the same fate.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 10-05-2018 at 12:53 AM.

Ultimate Member

All the conspiracy theory trolling aside, a few reviewers that I follow actually say the movie isn't as bad as what we're hearing.

I think I'll make out time to see it this weekend, my expectations are already rock bottom so i doubt i'll really be disappointed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Sony is not looking to do anything outside of a cinematic Spider universe with their Spider-spinoffs. Venom is the first movie and setting it up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Doesn't work, the are plenty of reviews that go one way but get scored the opposite.
    Which is why I said the secret is to ignore the scores and pay attention to what the reviews say. For instance, a predominant theme of Venom reviews, even ones that scored the movie fresh, is that the script is disjointed and can't make up its mind what sort of movie it wants to be. If it was one or two reviewers saying this I wouldn't take it too seriously, but enough are saying it that I have a pretty good feeling it's true. I've been to enough movies like that to know I don't enjoy them, so I'll steer clear.

100% Agreed. How many movies mostly comic movies get great reviews for story, depth, talent and characters. If your movies are not getting any positive reviews for that you don't really have a good movie and you good reviews become very suspicious. One of my colleagues who I sit with at work was chatting about Ant-Man 2, he found the movie silly and funny. And I ask myself, how does silly and funny amount to good reviews? if you read the reviews for Ant-Man , it says the same thing.Read the reviews for Spiderman 2 or Batman Begins. Silly and Funny is not the reason those movies got good reviews.
    Another secret to living with Rotten Tomatoes is understanding that because a movie wasn't made the way I wish it was made, and the reviews praise it for that, doesn't make the movie bad or the review good. Critics (the good ones) critique films on how well they pull off what they are trying to be. Ant-Man was written, directed, and acted to be a silly and funny movie, and the majority of reviews say it does that well. If silly and funny isn't the movie you wanted it to be, then the movie isn't for you, but the review isn't bad and the movie isn't bad just because you wanted something else.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I have not seen Venom but I don't buy for a second it is any worse than Ant-Man 2 or Infinity War. What makes Venon bad to critics? If it is bad cgi, then didn't black panther have bad cgi? if it is bad plot then wasn't Ant man 2 plot flat? if it is action non stop and no substance then isnt that what Infinity war is? No more deals with MCU. The Fox deal has been more of a killer to me since I know I won't get any non-MCU formula movie anymore as a marvel fan (Logan, Deadpool or DOFP). I don't want Sony to suffer the same fate.
    Venom exists because Sony wants it's own cinematic universe. They eventually want for Tom Holland's Spider-Man to crossover into this universe once the Marvel deal is over.

The biggest negative mark I've seen about the movie is how it feels like a pre-MCU Marvel movie. Overly dark movie that can't decide if it wants to be taken seriously, terrible dialogue, a flat supporting cast, boring villain. I haven't seen the film yet but I have spoiler myself on it and it's plot is definitely not better than Ant-Man 2.

Many companies pay for their cars to get good reviews.

Probably because Last Jedi, Iron Man 3, Spiderman Homecoming, GOTG 2, Thor III and Black Panther raised a lot of suspicion. The conspiracy did not look so far-fetched anymore when we discovered Disney were trying buy the Oscars.If Disney could do that, do you think they can't influence a film's reception. Read the reviews for superhero films that took place in a non cinematic universe, you will see a massive difference. Take Black Panther for instance, read the reviews. apart from the black cast there is nothing in the reviews that is impressive about the film.

While I personally disliked Last Jedi objectivity it was a good film I just disliked the direction for Luke. But yeah Last Jedi, Iron Man 3, GOTG Vol 2, Homecoming, Black Panther, Ant-Man and the Wasp, and Thor Ragnarok are all good movies so I don't see your point. I mean seriously my complaints for TLJ are personal and those other films go from good to Awesome and they're all well made, well acted, with cohesive stories from an objective point.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 10-05-2018 at 08:59 AM.

That was actually pretty good. I liked it a lot. I'd firmly put it in the "I'd see it again immediately" category. To paraphrase one review that I agree with, "a rom-com disguised as a superhero movie", though IMO with a bit of the Seymour/Audrey II/Jr relationship. I swear every word that came out of the symbiote's mouth was funny and quotable. I thought the villain was good, and that music...they need to just sign Ludwig Göransson to the next ten Marvel movies.

You know RT is partially owned by WB right? So Disney is bribing another movie studio for good reviews?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lammasu View Post
    You know RT is partially owned by WB right? So Disney is bribing another movie studio for good reviews?
    RT just aggregates reviews. Theoretically WB couldn't do anything if Disney bribed individual reviewers to give good ratings.

Have to say I really enjoyed this movie. I highly doubt it will be anyone's favorite comic book movie or even in someone's top 10 but overall this was a solid movie that sets up some potential sequels. For the life of me I can't figure out the extreme negativity on this movie. It wasn't perfect, it has some flaws and a few over the top moments but nothing near what has been exaggerated. Kinda feels like a ton of critics didn't want to like the movie and went into this looking for anything negative they could find and exaggerating what they found. Also the complaints about the CGI are kinda crazy to me, most comic films have bad cgi in them at some point during the movie(Wonder Woman final battle, black Panther final battle, even rhodey and banner at the end of infinity war) yet those movies didn't get soundly trashed for those moments, not sure why this film garnered such outrage over the few moments in the final fight scene that have dodgy CGI in it. Overall Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams were great in the movie and the eddie/venom interaction was really entertaining. It could have been better but what we got was entertaining and sets solid ground for followup with this character.
    Last edited by regg215; 10-06-2018 at 01:05 AM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Have to say I really enjoyed this movie. I highly doubt it will be anyone's favorite comic book movie or even in someone's top 10 but overall this was a solid movie that sets up some potential sequels. For the life of me I can't figure out the extreme negativity on this movie. It wasn't perfect, it has some flaws and a few over the top moments but nothing near what has been exaggerated. Kinda feels like a ton of critics didn't want to like the movie and went into this looking for anything negative they could find and exaggerating what they found. Also the complaints about the CGI are kinda crazy to me, most comic films have bad cgi in them at some point during the movie(Wonder Woman final battle, black Panther final battle, even rhodey and banner at the end of infinity war) yet those movies didn't get soundly trashed for those moments, not sure why this film garnered such outrage over the few moments in the final fight scene that have dodgy CGI in it. Overall Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams were great in the movie and the eddie/venom interaction was really entertaining. It could have been better but what we got was entertaining and sets solid ground for followup with this character.
    Ok, no. There is no extreme negativity to this film. This is what AJBopp was saying. Don't just concentrate on that 28%. I have seen reviews that point blank says, "The movie's not good. But I had a fun time watching it."

I enjoyed the heck out of this movie. So did my non-comic-fan cousin.

It wasn't perfect, and maybe the cut scenes and a hard R would of improved it, but I enjoyed it but honestly, I'd see it again in theater if a buddy wanted to go.

This really was a good movie way better than SMHC.

So fun movie. Would never call it good because theres too many wtf moments that are awfull. But I still.laughed and enjoyed some of the action scenes. Most of them except the Big showdown. That was a muddled mess. Saw reports saying its gonna make 80m oending weekend. Way more then I thought. The execution of the stinger was unintentionally funny.