The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

...but I'm still blaming you, Nik.

^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Having flipped through the other fights, maaaan. It's just the usual Baki crap, isn't it? Suddenly Sumo is the epitome of danger!
    Well, Sukune, who crushes coal into diamonds and stands above all other sumo wrestlers is the epitome of danger.

The other sumo dudes are getting swept right now. I mean, I unironically really enjoy Baki as a series so I'm fine with this development.

Also, if you've not seen it Sharp, you might want to look at Koukou Tekken-den Tough for a fight manga that's pretty no frills but has a surprisingly competent representation of grappling and a fairly strong focus on it that other manga do not. Might interest you?

It's considerably less silly than Baki.

Also, if people want a very silly series to read, look into Rooster Fighter. It's got strong One Punch Man energy but the main character is a buff chicken.

Like a literal chicken as in the animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Well, Sukune, who crushes coal into diamonds and stands above all other sumo wrestlers is the epitome of danger.

The other sumo dudes are getting swept right now. I mean, I unironically really enjoy Baki as a series so I'm fine with this development.

Also, if you've not seen it Sharp, you might want to look at Koukou Tekken-den Tough for a fight manga that's pretty no frills but has a surprisingly competent representation of grappling and a fairly strong focus on it that other manga do not. Might interest you?

It's considerably less silly than Baki.

Also, if people want a very silly series to read, look into Rooster Fighter. It's got strong One Punch Man energy but the main character is a buff chicken.

Like a literal chicken as in the animal.
    *immediately runs off to check out the non-chicken manga*

Kengan used to have some really good grappling stuff in it. So did that one a while back about the girl who got into MMA (I now forget the name, which is a shame).
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    *immediately runs off to check out the non-chicken manga*

Kengan used to have some really good grappling stuff in it. So did that one a while back about the girl who got into MMA (I now forget the name, which is a shame).
    Teppu is the one you're thinking of.

Though, I should caveat; Koukou Tekken-den Tough does have some magical realism grappling bollocks in it. Pro-Wrestlers are treated in an interesting way. It's... plausible but also a bit silly. Not Baki levels but it's nowhere near as grounded as Teppu was.

I'd say it's more realistic than Kengan Asura/Omega but less real than Teppu, if that helps ground you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Teppu is the one you're thinking of.
    Gaaaah, yes. Must go read that one again.

Though, I should caveat; Koukou Tekken-den Tough does have some magical realism grappling bollocks in it. Pro-Wrestlers are treated in an interesting way. It's... plausible but also a bit silly. Not Baki levels but it's nowhere near as grounded as Teppu was.

I'd say it's more realistic than Kengan Asura/Omega but less real than Teppu, if that helps ground you.
    Well, I've already watched the guy toss someone around by a nostril and get a cinderblock smashed over his head (doing nothing). So...I can handle some BS in the manga.

It depends on how bad it is, and how much it is presented as 'reality' (I mean, Holyland was fairly realistic but had some stuff put forward by the author that was just...ugh, no).
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by kahnno6 View Post
    Runaways is not great. I feel like they lose a lot of the core what made the characters likeable in the comics. That said, I'd recommend AoS. The first half of the first season is a bit of a slog, but after that it's really good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    I wholeheartedly second this. AoS is an amazing show after the first half of season one is out of the way. It gets even better once it stopped pretending it needed to stay connected to the movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    thirded.

it starts woobly for the first half but after the events of TWS, it gets really good. takes a bit to find its legs but once it does, it goes off and running.
    Just to be the slightly dissenting voice (and I still watch and enjoy it), I’ve found that over the last few seasons 3-4 seasons, AoS has been scrabbling round for reasons to exist.

My main concerns are:
    spoilers:
    1. It seemed to completely lose direction after Ward died. For the nth time.
    2. They can’t decide what to do with Coulson. He’s been dead and alive more times than 616 Jean Grey. It’s like they want to get rid of him but can’t.
    3. In recent series they’ve ceased to be members of a spy organisation and just been Wacky-Friends-With-Ranks, bouncing around space, time, other dimensions, virtual reality etc. The title has seemed obsolete for a while, because they have nothing to do with SHIELD.
    4. The sheer breathtaking inevitability and predictability of the ending of this final season is wearing a little. We’ve even now got Garrett, as they go forward in time gathering former enemies, so it can clearly all wind up with a final battle against a version of Grant Ward rescued from the timestream by the Malick kid and the Chronicoms.

Like I said, I still enjoy it, but it’s been limping for a while.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Beadle; 01-11-2021 at 12:35 PM.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

just found out jonas neubauer passed away.

tetris has lost a god.

Extraordinary Member

Bowser's still gonna screw it up.

Team Rocket are more successful than Bowser

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Just to be the slightly dissenting voice (and I still watch and enjoy it), I’ve found that over the last few seasons 3-4 seasons, AoS has been scrabbling round for reasons to exist.

My main concerns are:
    spoilers:
    1. It seemed to completely lose direction after Ward died. For the nth time.
    2. They can’t decide what to do with Coulson. He’s been dead and alive more times than 616 Jean Grey. It’s like they want to get rid of him but can’t.
    3. In recent series they’ve ceased to be members of a spy organisation and just been Wacky-Friends-With-Ranks, bouncing around space, time, other dimensions, virtual reality etc. The title has seemed obsolete for a while, because they have nothing to do with SHIELD.
    4. The sheer breathtaking inevitability and predictability of the ending of this final season is wearing a little. We’ve even now got Garrett, as they go forward in time gathering former enemies, so it can clearly all wind up with a final battle against a version of Grant Ward rescued from the timestream by the Malick kid and the Chronicoms.

Like I said, I still enjoy it, but it’s been limping for a while.
    end of spoilers
    If you were strapped to a chair and forced to pick between this, or a currently running DC show; what would you pick?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Bowser's still gonna screw it up.

Team Rocket are more successful than Bowser
    I don't think so. Bowser always "wins" and then Mario has to come in and put everything right. Team Rocket rarely even gets that initial win.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    If you were strapped to a chair and forced to pick between this, or a currently running DC show; what would you pick?
    I don’t hate it. In fact I still enjoy it.

And I don’t hate Titans or Legends of Tomorrow (is that still going?).

It’s just... not as good as it was.

And I’m disappointed that more interesting things like Netflix Marvel and Cloak & Dagger had to be shelved, while this has (slowly) petered out.

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    As long as the team developing the remake focuses on the remake, sure. Otherwise they should slow their roll and focus on the main game instead of a ton of spinoffs.