Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Ultimate Member

Not a big fan of that costume. I always pictured Circe wearing something more, what's a good word, "exotic" or "regal." That just looks like something that any old comic book mercenary might wear.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Not a big fan of that costume. I always pictured Circe wearing something more, what's a good word, "exotic" or "regal." That just looks like something that any old comic book mercenary might wear.
    or a dominatrix lol!

My idea for a Circe story. Remember the part in the Odyssey where Odyseus and his men stumble across Circe's island and get turned into animals? I'd add a twist to that. Odyseus and his men do find the island but instead are given shelter and food by Circe who has no ill intentions toward them. However, Odyseus drugs Circe and robs her home and kills her daughter Lyra. On their way, some of Odyseus' men consume a plant that was on Circe's island which turns them into beasts and kill some of the men who weren't turned. This betrayal by Odyseus as well as the following slander would be what sets Circe on a path to darkness. She'd also try to appeal to the Amazons as both are women who've been shunned and slandered by the world if men.

So what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-09-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    My idea for a Circe story. Remember the part in the Odyssey where Odyseus and his men stumble across Circe's island and get turned into animals? I'd add a twist to that. Odyseus and his men do find the island but instead are given shelter and food by Circe who has no ill intentions toward them. However, Odyseus drugs Circe and ribs her home and kills her daughter Lyra. On their way, some of Odyseus' men consume a plant that was on Circe's island which turns them into beasts and kill some of the men who weren't turned. This betrayal by Odyseus as well as the following slander would be what sets Circe on a path to darkness. She'd also try to appeal to the Amazons as both are women who've been shunned and slandered by the world if men.

So what do you guys think?

I think that's an interesting pitch for Circe. Sounds like you put a lot of thought into it.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I think that kind of sympathetic backstory would work better for Medusa than Circe, because Medusa was actually raped by Poseidon in Athena's temple, and then Athena ended up punishing Medusa instead of Poseidon, by cursing her with her monstrous form.

I like Circe as an ambitious and manipulative sorceress who is great at turning the pettiness of men against themselves for her own means and purposes. Not every female villain should be a victim of men after all (not that Agent Z was saying that).
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 01-23-2016 at 11:33 AM.

BANNED

Yeah I kinda have to agree on that, Circe seems to be one of those villains where it's best to not give her many or any redeeming traits or backstory, wanting power for power's sake is occasionally enough to drive people... especially in comics. The sympathetic angle does fit Medusa rather well due to how she came to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Yeah I kinda have to agree on that, Circe seems to be one of those villains where it's best to not give her many or any redeeming traits or backstory, wanting power for power's sake is occasionally enough to drive people... especially in comics. The sympathetic angle does fit Medusa rather well due to how she came to be.
    It's strange that Medusa has never been depicted as sympathetic in the WW comics, and Diana's always just been pretty quick to kill her.

As for Circe, I definitely prefer a less sympathetic version. What she needs most is a compelling reason to hate Diana. I would also love it if they elevated her to big-bad territories of villainy, like Darkseid/Brainiac/etc. Something so rare for a female villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    It's strange that Medusa has never been depicted as sympathetic in the WW comics, and Diana's always just been pretty quick to kill her.

As for Circe, I definitely prefer a less sympathetic version. What she needs most is a compelling reason to hate Diana. I would also love it if they elevated her to big-bad territories of villainy, like Darkseid/Brainiac/etc. Something so rare for a female villain.
    Yeah, I didn't know why Medusa and her sisters' tragic backstory wasn't touched upon in Eyes of the Gorgon. The first time I read about Medusa's origin, I had to actually do a double take because of how horribly sad it was.

And agree about elevating Circe to a much bigger status. She is a diva through and through, so at the very least have her clink glasses of the sparkly with DC's other major diva baddies like Lex and the Joker (assuming this new relaunch will make him closer to Leto's depiction in the movie as opposed to the faceless mess of the Nu52).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

Yeah that is kinda sad, you could have a great story (or decent depending on the writer) about Diana being tasked by Athena to find and kill Medusa, who's taken refuge somewhere isolated and Diana ends up defying Athena because it was her that made her that way. But I suppose we will have to wait a while before someone at DC wants to write Medusa as this purely evil character.

Credit where it's due, Tomasi did give it a good shot with his New 52 version of Circe simply carrying an age-old grudge against Hippolyta and every Amazon. Perez ofc also had a good one, with Diana sort of stumbling into Circe and the ensuring struggle took away everything Circe cared about.
    Another version you could make was teaming her with the Circle like; Circe used to be the Amazons chief mystic and oracle, but one day sees an image of herself coming to great harm because of Diana (still a child). So she plots to get rid of her, gets foiled and exiled... the irony is ofc that her image will then come to pass when she tries to take down Diana.

I am not sure if Darkseid/Brainiac levels of big bad really suits her, since it would remove her from Diana's rogues gallery and move her into the general major DC threat category. Also there seems to be this thing for DC that those super-sized badguys tend to be of their own creation rather than character based on other items. I am not saying it couldn't or shouldn't happen... but I am more inclined to think it would be someone like X'Hal or Lady Styx that would fill that part.

Medusa being a victim of rape is one version of the character and one that was added later. Some takes depict her as having consensual sex with Poseidon. Others have Aphrodute turn her into a Gorgon out of jealousy for Medusa's beauty. And if we're doing alternate takes on the Amazons why not do the same for Circe? But while the Amazons would merely exile themselves, Circe would basically go "So you wish me to be evil? Then let me be evil!"

Giving Magneto a sympathetic backstory seemed to elevate him, so maybe it'll work for Circe.

Medusa being a victim of rape is one version of the character and one that was added later. Some takes depict her as having consensual sex with Poseidon. Others have Aphrodute turn her into a Gorgon out of jealousy for Medusa's beauty. And if we're doing alternate takes on the Amazons why not do the same for Circe? But while the Amazons would merely exile themselves, Circe would basically go "So you wish me to be evil? Then let me be evil!"

Giving Magneto a sympathetic backstory seemed to elevate him, so maybe it'll work for Circe.

I think Medusa would work best as anally for Diana.

BANNED

Because the point of giving Magneto a sympathetic backstory was to put him on the road from plain villain to anti-hero... which also made him into one of comics greatest hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Because the point of giving Magneto a sympathetic backstory was to put him on the road from plain villain to anti-hero... which also made him into one of comics greatest hypocrites.
    Not really sure about that. He's gone back and forth between hero and villain.

BANNED

Not really sure about that. He's gone back and forth between hero and villain.
    So have most anti-heroes... thats why they are called anti-heroes