Page 66 of 103 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Not even the strongest MK Ultra conditioning could make Geoff Johns write a story where Hal meets a dark fate, and John has any substantial shine.
    This made me laugh pretty hard

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as to omit Hal altogether, now. Seems a bit too far.
    Was John in the 2011 film or in Hal's cartoon? Seems pointless to include a character just to include a character. That's why the DCAU didn't do it, making things simpler for both GL and Flash, as well as viewers

A Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle film wouldn't need the other incarnations of the character either.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 07-11-2019 at 05:35 AM.

BANNED

I agree with SecretWarrior. Having Hal Jordan out of a sense of obligation would be the wrong course of action, in my view. If I was going to commit to John Stewart, then I would fully commit to John Stewart, and Hal Jordan wouldn't be necessary there, and for the sake of the film, I would cut anything that isn't necessary. After Hal Jordan's 2011 film, it would be all the more easy to ignore him, because it would be best to remind audiences of that as little as possible. Featuring John solo would be a bold way of saying, "Hey, this is Green Lantern, but something way different, and we know many of you wanted this the first time around anyway, so here it is."

Fandom aside, I still think that's actually the wisest course of action for WB to take. I don't know if they will or not, though. Now that Johns is completely out of the picture as far as making critical decisions, there's more of a chance for that, I'd say. Furthermore, I'm still not confident another GL movie will be made anytime soon at all.

Fans of Hal Jordan would likely complain loudly, but if the film is very good, pretty much no one will care. The specter of Hal Jordan (no pun intended) would likely loom heavily over the film, and every video that talks about the movie will likely mention his absence, but if the movie is well received and makes money, then it will only be a footnote.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Was John in the 2011 film or in Hal's cartoon? Seems pointless to include a character just to include a character. That's why the DCAU didn't do it, making things simpler for both GL and Flash, as well as viewers

A Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle film wouldn't need the other incarnations of the character either.
    Yeah we all know the real reason why hal got a solo movie, but can you really get mad that they didn't start the gl movies with other Earth lanterns when they were starting from the very beginning? They did have plans to bring john into hals cartoon but it got cancelled. In regards to jaime, ted was dead when he came around, also look at the amount of ted fans vs the amount of hal fans. Some characters have a higher demand than others, which is why you could get away with choosing jaime over ted.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I agree with SecretWarrior. Having Hal Jordan out of a sense of obligation would be the wrong course of action, in my view. If I was going to commit to John Stewart, then I would fully commit to John Stewart, and Hal Jordan wouldn't be necessary there, and for the sake of the film, I would cut anything that isn't necessary. After Hal Jordan's 2011 film, it would be all the more easy to ignore him, because it would be best to remind audiences of that as little as possible. Featuring John solo would be a bold way of saying, "Hey, this is Green Lantern, but something way different, and we know many of you wanted this the first time around anyway, so here it is."

Fandom aside, I still think that's actually the wisest course of action for WB to take. I don't know if they will or not, though. Now that Johns is completely out of the picture as far as making critical decisions, there's more of a chance for that, I'd say. Furthermore, I'm still not confident another GL movie will be made anytime soon at all.

Fans of Hal Jordan would likely complain loudly, but if the film is very good, pretty much no one will care. The specter of Hal Jordan (no pun intended) would likely loom heavily over the film, and every video that talks about the movie will likely mention his absence, but if the movie is well received and makes money, then it will only be a footnote.
    I think you guys misunderstand me, I never said don't give john the solo movies, I said include hal in the universe for a limited amount of time then have him go out with a bang since he won't be around for the long run. John will still be the primary focus no matter what, just think of the Men in Black movies with Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones. I know K came back, but treat hals sendoff like k's in the first one except he doesn't come back. Will was always the focus character of the movie regardless. I believe it's possible to give all the earth lanterns time to shine while John is the focus.
    Last edited by Cosmic Emerald 23; 07-11-2019 at 02:56 PM.

BANNED

I don't really need any Hal worship or acknowledgement, and in an audience of 330 million Americans and 7 billion humans, I don't think you need to pander. A whole generation of Justice League fans got by just fine and none the wiser.

BANNED

Yeah, I'm still holding that I wouldn't include Hal Jordan just to kill him...just so he's there. Besides, I think that might even anger his fanbase more than just not having him. It's not even about spiting Hal Jordan or his fans, it's just that I don't see the point in having him if you're committing to John Stewart. I also wouldn't include all those other humans, for varying reasons. There would be no shortage of GLs with all the aliens around.

BANNED

I would like to see Jruk, Soranik, Maro, and Two-Six.

Extraordinary Member

Best

Line

Ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    "Wegotthiscovered" is a shady source at best, but the rumors of Hal going bad and/or dying and John taking over have been going around ever since Geoff Johns was co-running the DCEU. From that standpoint, I'm not that sure if it's truly impossible for him to write a story like that. After all Johns wrote Hal's redemption story and if we were to assume that he wanted to adapt a version of that story in live-action, then Hal needs to be portrayed as a villain first in order to be redeemed afterwards. Keep in mind that one of the reasons Parallax was chosen to be the main villain in the 2011 movie was because they apparently didn't want to risk having movie Hal become a bad guy down the line, so do you really think WB would want to blow their chance once again, especially if they're determined to replace Hal as soon as possible. Also, the pitch of veteran Hal/rookie John reportedly came from Johns himself since he was getting a "story by" credit at the time and he was still in charge back then. So while I don't put too much faith in this rumor, I don't think it's out of the question at all. Besides, Johns is only a writer now so if WB didn't like his draft, they could've easily had someone else rewrite it to where we have the scenario mentioned here.
    Good points, there. But seeing Johns being involved, I can understand why John Stewart fans are skeptical about this, but at the same time, their initial pitch from Deadline is that Hal Jordan was going to be the veteran and the story was going to focus on John's origin story and his relationship with the Green Lantern Corps as you've said in your post. So it may not be out of the realm of possibility that this could be what WB are (or was) aiming for here.

Wow, this is an amazing piece of art!!!

Would be nice for DC to release an All * Justice League. I would buy that for sure!

I wonder what kind of story would it be like?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Wow, this is an amazing piece of art!!!

Would be nice for DC to release an All * Justice League. I would buy that for sure!

I wonder what kind of story would it be like?
    It would be cool to see a standalone graphic novel like All-Star Superman or the Ultimates--Something you could give to a noob that would interest them in the monthlies.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

That suit tho...it's beautiful

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    That suit tho...it's beautiful
    Yeah, doesn't take much to make John's costume look more modern. It's essentially a space-based military uniform, and he keeps his hair and facial hair in the same way he did as a Marine. No need to overcomplicate things.

BANNED

I also like the idea of keeping the constructs simple and elemental instead of being so detailed. Why create a machine gun when you can just fire lasers, force blasts, or emerald flame? If a GL creates a hand construct, does it really need finger nails or grooves on it? Does a GL really need to make a motorcycle or jet plane when they can fly on their own power? Just sketch the constructs like hammers, gauntlets, razors, etc. as simply as possible--keeps the property from being too cheesey. Probably a better reflection of how the mind reacts on the fly anyway.