Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    and the fans are like “well, at least we got a marriage”
    So long as Peter and MJ remain married somewhere (RYV, daily comic strip) I'm fine with accommodating any given percentage of outrage. It doesn't piss me off half as much anymore because I still get what I want

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    So long as Peter and MJ remain married somewhere (RYV, daily comic strip) I'm fine with accommodating any given percentage of outrage. It doesn't piss me off half as much anymore because I still get what I want
    good to hear, man...i mean, that was the whole intent behind ryv. there’s no reason to give 616 more weight than 18119
    troo fan or death

BANNED

good to hear, man...i mean, that was the whole intent behind ryv. there’s no reason to give 616 more weight than 18119
    Mind you, with the emphasis more on Annie in recent issues, it's still possible RYV will be retooled as a Spider-Girl title if the marriage is restored to the main canon.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RD! View Post
    Slott is a good writer and clearly a big fan, but maybe it’s possible to be too close to something

We will soon have his whole body of work to analyse, but this close to the end, I think it’s safe to say he never truly ‘got’ who Peter Parker was.

As soon as he became sole writer he got Peter into a cashed up dream job where he kept his own hours, meaning he didn’t need to focus on the ‘everyman’ aspect as much. Then the book became Otto’s story, then Peter was the owner of a doctorate and a large company, then a billionaire CEO. Slott has only written classic Peter for two issues in his solo run, and then he gets a job as a newspaper editor.

There is more to Peter than being poor, don’t get me wrong, but Slott hasn’t shown that to my recollection. Putting Peter in embarrassing situations is different to showing us who the character is. In Zeb Wells first BND story, Peter gives his last twenty dollars to a homeless person. That’s classic Peter.

I’m using another example from Zeb Wells, in Avenging 5, Peter comments that he still plays with his old microscope. That’s classic Peter. Slott May have him telling fart jokes and being snarky, but to my mind he’s never captured the ‘heart’ of the character.

Peter never really developed under Slott either. Despite dying and running a company, he’s the same guy he was in 648.
    Batman wasn’t the same at the end of Moreison’s Run. Captain America wasn’t the same at the end of Brubaker’s.

Slott did great with Otto, but his Peter was never quite right. Came close, but never made it. Slott was a great plotter and ideas man, but not so good with character
    If you think Peter being a scientist is not true to the character, and that the ‘everyman’ aspect of Peter is something that even exists, let alone something that needs to be focused on, I think it’s safe to say you’re the one who never truly ‘got’ who Peter Parker is...

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Mind you, with the emphasis more on Annie in recent issues, it's still possible RYV will be retooled as a Spider-Girl title if the marriage is restored to the main canon.
    i actually think it would have been cooler to keep the book in the current time but act like 18119 was like 616 in every way except the parkers. that way, you could still have it interact with 616 events and other titles in an almost meta way.

you have a big event happen in 616, it also happens in 18119. if you choose to, you can read either asm or ryv and each still “fits”

it would probably become a big mess very quickly, but i like experiments
    troo fan or death

BANNED

If you think Peter being a scientist is not true to the character, and that the ‘everyman’ aspect of Peter is something that even exists, let alone something that needs to be focused on, I think it’s safe to say you’re the one who never truly ‘got’ who Peter Parker is...
    Peter can be flexable in both interpretations, and at the same time the execution of both can veer into extremes.

you have a big event happen in 616, it also happens in 18119. if you choose to, you can read either asm or ryv and each still “fits”

it would probably become a big mess very quickly, but i like experiments
    Good idea. And there's already a precedent for that because Harry's death happened in RYV as it did in 616 also. We often discuss how Kraven can be alive in the reality and whether or not Grim Hunt happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go
    Good idea. And there's already a precedent for that because Harry's death happened in RYV as it did in 616 also. We often discuss how Kraven can be alive in the reality and whether or not Grim Hunt happened.
    yeah, because the events revolving around spidey are relatively insular compared to the rest of the mcu, you can have wild differences within the actual titles but still fit them in the same space. like jigsaw puzzle pieces with the exact same shape but with a different surface.

though i imagine the concurrent events like harry’s death was a part of the reason they time jumped the status quo
    troo fan or death

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Peter’s scientific ability is part of the character, but his duties as Spider-Man prevent him from succeeding in that field. To make him succeed is a bigger deviation than a marriage. And I notice you didn’t address the behaviour of Peter, and focused only on a part of the post I made.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vrvr1 View Post
    Can't wait for this hack to finally leave ASM for good. So happy the Slott fan fiction internet troll era will soon be over. Looking forward to being able to read one of my favorite characters again .
    Way to jinx it, now someone worse is going to drag the character to the ground and make him probably sterile and the mockery of the superhero world.

Quote Originally Posted by Thursaiz View Post
    With Slott's history on the character, either way it's going to suck.

How about Peter comes out on top for once? I'm not asking for some monumental achievement, but just get him back to where the poor guy was happy. We have to sit back and watch his life be ruined once or twice a year. How about trading that for good writing as opposed to basic and cheap shock value?

Come on Slott...give us a good story without the pathetic hype for a change.
    Because thats how most people like it, Spider-Man must suck in order to appeal to their problems, especially other Superheroes, Peter is a concept of a Superhero who just sucks at being one of the greats when people like Captain America or Ironman exists.

Quote Originally Posted by RD! View Post
    Peter’s scientific ability is part of the character, but his duties as Spider-Man prevent him from succeeding in that field. To make him succeed is a bigger deviation than a marriage. And I notice you didn’t address the behaviour of Peter, and focused only on a part of the post I made.
    Bullshit, it's PIS that Spider-Man is written as a incompetent narrow minded nicompoop that can't balance his science with superheroics and normal life. There is no excuse to make Peter screw up something he can work towards in both his family life and his hero life and even had a company that supported that, but nope he has to suck ass at management stuff even though he's shown competent organization traits in the streets and super hero aliases without being caught for over 60 years.
    Last edited by SpideyCeo; 12-23-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Mephisto makes Pete remember the marriage. Not MJ however, who doesn't even recognize him and now sees only a creepy stalker that probably hacked all her personal information and has an alter to her in his bedroom.

Mephisto forces Pete to pay alimony by threatening to steal Aunt May's soul and burn it in eternal hellfire.

When MJ gets the checks she starts marking them 'Return to Sender', puts a restraining order on him, and Pete is now constantly under surveillance by the NYPD and Jessica Jones and is under pressure not to have them blow up his spot changing into Spidey at any moment.

In the final issue before Slott moves on, she marries Norman Osborne. Pregnant.
    LMAO, this would've pissed me right off a few years back before I started mellowing as far as the comics are concerned.

and the fans are like “well, at least we got a marriage”
    LOL, I can see a section of fans who are just happy that Peter and MJ aren't married going ''what're you complaining for? she's married isn't she?'' LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by vrvr1 View Post
    Can't wait for this hack to finally leave ASM for good. So happy the Slott fan fiction internet troll era will soon be over. Looking forward to being able to read one of my favorite characters again .
    I wouldn't go as far as to call him a ''hack''. But I am ready for a new writer on the ASM book, on that I think we can agree on.

BANNED

Slott > Any story from Late JMS and that guy who wrote Kickass. Im gonna miss him and not read amazing until Parker Industries comes back.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thursaiz View Post
    With Slott's history on the character, either way it's going to suck.

How about Peter comes out on top for once? I'm not asking for some monumental achievement, but just get him back to where the poor guy was happy. We have to sit back and watch his life be ruined once or twice a year. How about trading that for good writing as opposed to basic and cheap shock value?

Come on Slott...give us a good story without the pathetic hype for a change.
    Peter is pretty happy with his current status quo. Sucks he doesn't have a company anymore, but he's got a girlfriend and a job at the daily bugle again. Will Nick Spencer likely change all of this? Sure, but Slott has given Peter a few wins.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Peter is pretty happy with his current status quo. Sucks he doesn't have a company anymore, but he's got a girlfriend and a job at the daily bugle again. Will Nick Spencer likely change all of this? Sure, but Slott has given Peter a few wins.
    We don't know it'll be Nick Spencer coming next. He could do a pretty good job, given his work on Ant-Man (Scott Lang) and Superior Foes of Spider-Man and even Sam Wilson, Captain America to a lesser extent (all three being hard-luck cases struggling with their own issues and persevering despite the lack of respect and appreciation they get from others around them). At the same time, he's severely alienated a lot of fans and readers with his handling of Steve Rogers leading up to Secret Empire, and that's unfortunately going to make people very cautious about trusting him with another (if not more) iconic superhero like Spider-Man. That being said, I just hope Dan Slott does end his run on a high note for Spider-Man, or at least on a note that feels like an overall positive that Spidey (and the next writer) can build from.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I think Spencer would probably keep the Bugle, but Bobbi will probably be gone by the time Slott is finished (if he is finishing).
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    We don't know it'll be Nick Spencer coming next. He could do a pretty good job, given his work on Ant-Man (Scott Lang) and Superior Foes of Spider-Man and even Sam Wilson, Captain America to a lesser extent (all three being hard-luck cases struggling with their own issues and persevering despite the lack of respect and appreciation they get from others around them). At the same time, he's severely alienated a lot of fans and readers with his handling of Steve Rogers leading up to Secret Empire, and that's unfortunately going to make people very cautious about trusting him with another (if not more) iconic superhero like Spider-Man. That being said, I just hope Dan Slott does end his run on a high note for Spider-Man, or at least on a note that feels like an overall positive that Spidey (and the next writer) can build from.
    I'm curious to see how much a Nick Spencer ASM would sell given his books, even the critical darlings, have generally never sold all that well and now he's got the stigma of Secret Empire and HydraCap behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    Because thats how most people like it, Spider-Man must suck in order to appeal to their problems, especially other Superheroes, Peter is a concept of a Superhero who just sucks at being one of the greats when people like Captain America or Ironman exists.
    Peter being incompetent as a super hero is a more recent thing, he was far better pre-OMD (Though he still had dumb moments), there was even one time in New Avengers that Cap said nobody works harder than Spidey as a super hero, nowadays he's an incompetent manchild, while before he had dumb moments or just be a hot head, but it wasn't as bad as current Spidey.