Page 56 of 62 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Man all I'm hearing is yara sucks, what about Donna and Cassie. I what Donna and Cassie, it's fare to Donna and Cassie lol.

The real answer is what about them! They're even more irrelevant than what you're saying about yara lol.

Yara's story was never incredibly compelling. I am not surprised her whole "Yara Will be The Next Big Thing" thing imploded and failed.

Well, I really don't care about Donna's part on the wonderfamily. Never really a part of it. And I consider Cass and Yara had their fair roles on the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, depending on what run you're reading.
    Nah, even aclaimed runs like George Perez and Rucka surround Diana with very basic character types. I love Cassie, but I wouldn't pretend she has a unique personality (nor did Vanessa before her). Same thing applies to Donna, Hippolyta, Steve Trevor, Philippus, Etta (aside from the Golden Age), etc.

People calling Yara Flor basic or saying she "lacks personality" is quite ironic.

To be clear, there are good versions of these characters, but they still don't stand out very much as characters. Most Wonder Woman characters have interchangeable dialogue and actions. They sct in accordance with plot, not personality
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-02-2022 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Nah, even aclaimed runs like George Perez and Rucka surround Diana with very basic character types. I love Cassie, but I wouldn't pretend she has a unique personality (nor did Vanessa before her). Same thing applies to Donna, Hippolyta, Steve Trevor, Philippus, Etta (aside from the Golden Age), etc.

People calling Yara Flor basic or saying she "lacks personality" is quite ironic.

To be clear, there are good versions of these characters, but they still don't stand out very much as characters. Most Wonder Woman characters have interchangeable dialogue and actions. They sct in accordance with plot, not personality
    Maybe if you go by the most narrow version of what "personality" means.

For the record, I like Yara just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Maybe if you go by the most narrow version of what "personality" means.

For the record, I like Yara just fine.
    The best test of all. A line of dialogue that only that character would say. If the line you choose sounds like something that the other characters around them would say, then that character doesn't have a unique voice even within it's world.

It's my main problem with the amazons, they all have interchangeable dialogue.
    (If it's a reference to their backstory then it obviously doesn't count since the only indication is factual details, not tone of voice).

You could do the same test not via dialogue but via actions. What single action would that character perform that imediately tells me who they are and that none of the characters around her would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, so far she seems like a quippy, irreverent, young woman which seems to be in-style at the moment.
    Yes, as I said uninteresting and a bore.

Sounds like a matter of preference.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I don't know about unique but I think Cassie has a very distinct and lively personality, as does Donna when she's written right.

Jiminez did a great job writing Diana and her supporting cast, for one.

Not sure how much of a conclusion it really is or if it necessarily ties into things, but I liked the Coronation special. Nothing to special about/doesn’t necessarily set up too much except for the whole Amazon space travel plot/not too distant future portion.

Either way I liked it, it’s nice and establishes a pretty big moment by clearly presenting Nubia as Queen.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Maybe they shouldn't have touted her as the new Wonder Girl or Wonder Woman, and let her naturally evolve into the next superhero with her own codename. The sales of her book could/should justify that. Otherwise, like Jon Kent, we are just getting Wonder Girl lite or Wonder Woman lite.
    This seems to be the crux of your issues with her, that Yara “threatens” Diana because she may end up taking the WW code name as well. Don’t really know why you fear that if so, Diana isn’t going anywhere, not with another movie and a video game on the way.

It’s fine if you don’t like Yara but I genuinely don’t get people who say Yara is “Diana Lite”, bluntly that’s an accusation that’s much more true of Donna, Nubia, or Cassie. Yara’s personality is very different from Diana. She’s hot-tempered, impulsive, not very well-mannered, immature, and brazenly disrespectful towards others in authority. In contrast Diana/Nubia/Donna are all regal, stoic, polite, and diplomatic unless they’ve really been angered, and that takes a lot to unsettle them. We just had a page between Diana and Yara in TotA no less that shows how different the two are!

I like Yara so I’m biased but I like Diana too and I don’t think it’s a big deal that DC is trying to do better with Latina rep within the Wonder Family. Yara’s issue to issue sales actually weren’t that bad, but the constant delays killed all momentum, and given Joelle is her creator and DC probably doesn’t feel comfortable outright taking Yara away from Joelle and giving her to someone else if Joelle isn’t ok with that herself. Since Joelle can’t seem to keep up with the monthly grind that means the series had to end until she could either reach an agreement with DC that’s to her satisfaction or DC just burns that bridge and gives Yara to someone else.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This seems to be the crux of your issues with her, that Yara “threatens” Diana because she may end up taking the WW code name as well. Don’t really know why you fear that if so, Diana isn’t going anywhere, not with another movie and a video game on the way.

It’s fine if you don’t like Yara but I genuinely don’t get people who say Yara is “Diana Lite”, bluntly that’s an accusation that’s much more true of Donna, Nubia, or Cassie. Yara’s personality is very different from Diana. She’s hot-tempered, impulsive, not very well-mannered, immature, and brazenly disrespectful towards others in authority. In contrast Diana/Nubia/Donna are all regal, stoic, polite, and diplomatic unless they’ve really been angered, and that takes a lot to unsettle them. We just had a page between Diana and Yara in TotA no less that shows how different the two are!

I like Yara so I’m biased but I like Diana too and I don’t think it’s a big deal that DC is trying to do better with Latina rep within the Wonder Family. Yara’s issue to issue sales actually weren’t that bad, but the constant delays killed all momentum, and given Joelle is her creator and DC probably doesn’t feel comfortable outright taking Yara away from Joelle and giving her to someone else if Joelle isn’t ok with that herself. Since Joelle can’t seem to keep up with the monthly grind that means the series had to end until she could either reach an agreement with DC that’s to her satisfaction or DC just burns that bridge and gives Yara to someone else.
    Eh, "Wonder Woman-lite" is fair if the critique is DC touted it as Brazilian Wonder Woman/"an Amazon from the Amazon" but most of her solo stuff so far dealt with primarily Greek Mythology. Or the dude from her mini being a very obvious transplant of the superpowered woman/normal man setup with Steve Trevor or even some of Donna's love interests.

Personality wise, if Yara's derivative of anyone it's that she's less antagonistic Artemis.
    Last edited by Gaius; 05-03-2022 at 08:13 PM.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

I know Diana isn't going away. But the fact that Yara and other characters are being groomed to fail by being the 'lite' characters of Wonder Woman or Superman is just one reason I don't like this Kill the Justice League decision and let Yara and others 'take their place'. It's like what happens in wrestling story lines, have someone job, in this case the Justice League, and then let the replacements show how good they are by taking care of the menace that the previous ones could not. Or at least, that is how I am interpreting the event.

But...if Yara is this great personality that has charmed everyone, why would she need the Wonder Girl or Wonder Woman moniker? They haven't even developed other characters who have had the Wonder Girl title, for instance, before Diana is trying to shoe horn her in to it. This great banter that you displayed between Yara and Diana is more cringe worthy to me. How many times have they interacted (I don't know if I have seen one yet), and this is the big moment they have between the two, whether or not Diana has the authority to call her Wonder Girl. More of a head scratcher to me.

Also, let's not give reasons why the Yara series failed. It's always, if this, or if that. If Joelle had written or if Joelle had drawn faster, the series would have flourished. Do you really believe that? You think Joelle could have written a monthly, and maybe even let others draw when she couldn't that it still wouldn't have been cancelled? If that is the case, why didn't DC get other artists to draw when she couldn't? Maybe when she couldn't get a TV show ruined the momentum. But...that is another what if reason.
    Last edited by BiteTheBullet; 05-03-2022 at 11:17 AM.

Can't speak for others but for me, it's like this 'if you can't do right by existing characters or even the lead of the franchise, why should I care about any new character who may or may not get the same treatment?'. It's not the first time the WW comics have tried to introduce a new character with much fanfare only for said character to disappear into the ether. Remember Jason? Or when Gail was promoting Genocide as the big new WW villain?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I know Diana isn't going away. But the fact that Yara and other characters are being groomed to fail by being the 'lite' characters of Wonder Woman or Superman is just one reason I don't like this Kill the Justice League decision and let Yara and others 'take their place'. It's like what happens in wrestling story lines, have someone job, in this case the Justice League, and then let the replacements show how good they are by taking care of the menace that the previous ones could not. Or at least, that is how I am interpreting the event.

But...if Yara is this great personality that has charmed everyone, why would she need the Wonder Girl or Wonder Woman moniker? They haven't even developed other characters who have had the Wonder Girl title, for instance, before Diana is trying to shoe horn her in to it. This great banter that you displayed between Yara and Diana is more cringe worthy to me. How many times have they interacted (I don't know if I have seen one yet), and this is the big moment they have between the two, whether or not Diana has the authority to call her Wonder Girl. More of a head scratcher to me.

Also, let's not give reasons why the Yara series failed. It's always, if this, or if that. If Joelle had written or if Joelle had drawn faster, the series would have flourished. Do you really believe that? You think Joelle could have written a monthly, and maybe even let others draw when she couldn't that it still wouldn't have been cancelled? If that is the case, why didn't DC get other artists to draw when she couldn't? Maybe when she couldn't get a TV show ruined the momentum. But...that is another what if reason.
    Likely a case of editorial not putting their foot down. Jones has apparently had delays on her books where she's done both writing/art duties before.