Page 1 of 82 123451151 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Lack of females is for the upcoming Justice League Movies is embarrassing

Out of all 7 leaguers (Green Lantern is not confirmed but we all we know he will join the team later on in the DCCU), Wonder Woman is the only female. I am not an hardcore feminist but it feels wrong. Women represents 51% to 53% of the world population and we have only one female in the league. I know recently people have been obsessed with racial diversity not only in comic book movies but also in general.

For instance, the next James Bond is rumoured to be played by a black. People can't wait for the upcoming Black Panther movie because he is well black. Nick Fury was once white and now he is black. Cyborg being a founding member of the Justice in the New 52 instead of Martian Manhunter is because DC wanted an excuse to put a black in the team. Lest be honest here. I am black myself and I think that while it appreciated, it still kinda feels forced especially since blacks are a minority.

But I am missing the point here. If people are that obsessed with racial diversity why they are not obsessed with gender diversity ? I mean I am not asking for 50% female and 50% male in the Justice League. I am just asking for balance here and having one female in the team is not balance at all. Women are not a minority after all they are in fact the majority according to numbers.

Sorry if I sound too feminist for some people. I am just trying to be an humanist here. Sorry for the english too. English is not my native language.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnightReturns; 12-31-2014 at 10:41 AM.

The batman movies did use catwoman as a hero. For New 52 JL, I would've preferred Vixen over Cyborg and I would've maybe included Looker and Nightshade. Avengers movie had Black Widow and Dc probably should include Black Canary early. I prefer Black Canary with no sonic cry like Black Widow. I think it is also possible to include Zatanna earlier in the JL movie.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

The Justice League has always had gender balance issues. The Avengers are the same way.

DC had a unique opportunity to do something amazing but instead they went down the safe route.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    Out of all 7 leaguers (Green Lantern is not confirmed but we all we know he will join the team later on in the DCCU), Wonder Woman is the only female. I am not an hardcore feminist but it feels wrong. Women represents 51% to 53% of the world population and we have only one female in the league. I know recently people have been obsessed with racial diversity not only in comic book movies but also in general.

For instance, the next James Bond is rumoured to be played by a black. People can't wait for the upcoming Black Panther movie because he is well black. Nick Fury was once white and now he is black. Cyborg being a founding member of the Justice in the New 52 instead of Martian Manhunter is because DC wanted an excuse to put a black in the team. Lest be honest here. I am black myself and I think that while it appreciated, it still kinda feels forced especially since blacks are a minority.

But I am missing the point here. If people are that obsessed with racial diversity why they are not obsessed with gender diversity ? I mean I am not asking for 50% female and 50% male in the Justice League. I am just asking for balance here and having one female in the team is not balance at all. Women are not a minority after all they are in fact the majority according to numbers.

Sorry if I sound too feminist for some people. I am just trying to be an humanist here. Sorry for the english too. English is not my native language.
    Agreed, but then again the "we can only have one woman on the team to start with" cliché seems to be present A LOT, and it's annoying as Hell. Heck even the New 52 JL suffers from this. WW was the only female on the team for a long time. Then we brought in the female Atom (who turned out to be an evil traitor), Zatanna, and Element Woman. Neither of them really did anything important and have apparently left the team, leaving WW as the only female member yet again. So the movie is no different in that regard, not that that's any excuse. Attention DC, there are more worthy candidates than just WW. Zatanna, Black Canary, Mera, Vixen, Batwoman, etc.

Originally, they seemed to have wanted more females in JL bec. early promo images had Element Woman and Lady Luck.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Hawkwoman, Zatanna, Vixen, and/or Black Canary should've been easy picks for a Justice League movie. I hope they at least add them before the sequel. It's disappointing how half the population is represented by 1/7 of the League.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

The fact that Wonder Woman is getting a solo movie is already a surprise, considering WB's previous stance on the matter.

We all want more diversity in all forms - color, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation - but let's just be realistic and accept that it won't happen overnight. It would be great if it would, but it won't.

The first Avengers movie had only Black Widow on the team - and no black person on the actual field team, despite Nick Fury being the top dog. We'll get Wanda now, Carol Danvers a lit bit already.

Yes, one female (and one black guy) is pretty terrible, but things are turning around for the better, even if at an slower pace than the ideal.

Nick Fury was only Black in the movies to prevent a lawsuit

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Hawkwoman is a lot like Wonder Woman (strength, durability, warrior, outsider) and Zatanna is weird because Magic is difficult to pull off.

Vixen and Black Canary would have been solid includes. For all we know, they could be apart of the Justice League. It's not like they have the name cashe to hold their own film.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Agreed, but then again the "we can only have one woman on the team to start with" cliché seems to be present A LOT, and it's annoying as Hell. Heck even the New 52 JL suffers from this. WW was the only female on the team for a long time. Then we brought in the female Atom (who turned out to be an evil traitor), Zatanna, and Element Woman. Neither of them really did anything important and have apparently left the team, leaving WW as the only female member yet again. So the movie is no different in that regard, not that that's any excuse. Attention DC, there are more worthy candidates than just WW. Zatanna, Black Canary, Mera, Vixen, Batwoman, etc.
    Mera is such an easy pick. It surprised me that she not even part of the team in the New 52. Zatanna is an easy pick as well. Sorry but I just don't just care about JLD. Put her back in the main New 52 Justice League team please as well in the Justice League live action movies. Black Canary, Vixen, Batwoman (especially since her book is getting cancelled) to name a few are no brainer as well.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnightReturns; 12-31-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Hawkwoman is a lot like Wonder Woman (strength, durability, warrior, outsider)
    Aquaman is superficially similar to Wonder Woman as well, but that's not stopping WB from using him. Hawkwoman would look pretty awesome on screen too if they don't cheap out on their budget.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    The fact that Wonder Woman is getting a solo movie is already a surprise, considering WB's previous stance on the matter.

We all want more diversity in all forms - color, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation - but let's just be realistic and accept that it won't happen overnight. It would be great if it would, but it won't.

The first Avengers movie had only Black Widow on the team - and no black person on the actual field team, despite Nick Fury being the top dog. We'll get Wanda now, Carol Danvers a lit bit already.

Yes, one female (and one black guy) is pretty terrible, but things are turning around for the better, even if at an slower pace than the ideal.
    So because Avengers was bad in that regard (and I say that as someone who really liked both the movie and Black Widow), JL gets a pass. No, not really. They have a chance to do better in this regard, which they do not appear to be doing. And why should we have to wait until sequels? Why are the original films/teams always such sausage-fests? That's the annoying part, they should be doing better from the beginning.

BANNED

I'm not one for tokenism.....which leads me to the next point. Having another woman in the cast would have made it look like WW is not being shoehorned inn for diversity reasons. Canary or Hawkgirl would be a natural fit for the film. Especially Canary due to her appearance in Arrow and the fact that she can handle herself well.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Hawkwoman is a lot like Wonder Woman (strength, durability, warrior, outsider) and Zatanna is weird because Magic is difficult to pull off.

Vixen and Black Canary would have been solid includes. For all we know, they could be apart of the Justice League. It's not like they have the name cashe to hold their own film.
    Marvel is doing Scarlet Witch, Doctor Strange, and the Infinity Stones. DC/WB is doing WW, Aquaman, and Shazam. So I don't want to hear that magic "is difficult to do."

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    Mera is such an easy pick.
    No she isn't all of the films are probably origin films and Mera starts out at a Assassin anyway with her sole reason to kill Aquaman she can't be placed on a JL team like that come to think of it as Mera ever been a full time leaguer?

The best way to go about it is using that New female Lantern instead of the male ones.