Page 666 of 671 FirstFirst ... 166566616656662663664665666667668669670 ... LastLast
Results 9,976 to 9,990 of 10059
    Fantastic Member

I think my favorite part about today's Teen Titans was all the references and comparisons to both Superman and Jason Todd. Crush's parents are the drug addicted Kents: fundamentally good people with hearts of gold and morals, but they can't shake or beat their addictions. Anybody else notice that they lived in Smallville for a while?

The Jason and Crush comparison is fantastic: both had parents who couldn't break their drug habits despite their best efforts. That's where the similarities end as Crush's mom and dad focused on keeping her safe, providing her with a relatively stable (emphasis on relatively) life as a nomad. They played with her. Ensured she kept up with her peers education wise. Didn't fight. Focused on her safety (mostly). She never doubts that they loved and wanted her. The most important thing of all is that they died protecting her, which is massive as most addicts really don't have any problems betraying their children for their addiction. For example: Jason's mom.

Every part of this issue was good. I even found myself liking Roundhouse despite being annoyed by him. His sister is a fascinating mystery, I look forward to finding out more about her and the inevitable meeting of his mom and the rest of the Titans. I look forward to her giving them all lectures, grounding them, and feeding them.

The fact that this team has two members with parents who love/loved them more than life itself sets it apart from every other iteration. It's making for some fun reading. I can't wait for Djinn's story, and Dick to get his memories back so he can be the annoying yet cool big brother. Whatever is about to go down with Jason needs resolved because I need a Red Hood and Crush road trip with emotional bonding over parents with drug habits and truck stop donnybrooks. In fact, I could go for all of the older Robins deciding to jump in and be those obnoxious older siblings who steal away Damian's time with his friends. Tim and Roundhouse would be a fun and funky read.

It's a pity this is a once a month comic, I'm looking forward to finding out the resolution of the greatest mystery in all of the Bat books: does Bruce know that Damian has stopped talking to him? Has anyone told him yet? Has he even noticed? Does he even care?

This was great issue. Awesome backstory and character building. Terrific art.

Believe it or not, this might be my favorite running book right now. I really look forward to every issue.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Those hunters weren't attacking Rachel (one of them flat out says he doesn't hurt children) and unlike them, the scientist wasn't just going to be scared off. Also Gar himself said he felt like biting the hunters. And they have dealt with it. Kory and he discussed it on the train in the Donna Troy episode and it was the basis of his visions in the most recent one. It's about the only thing of importance with Gar the show has focused on since it happened. There's only so much screen time you can dedicate to it without ignoring the plot. Saying it wasn't murder isn't splitting hairs since calling any killing murder is a huge problem comic fans seem to have.

What exactly did you expect Dick to do with those people? Sticking to your morals is one thing but with what these people have been shown as willing to do, leaving them alive would have been tantamount to suicide.
    No but they shot at Gar and not with a BB gun, but even so he subdued them and let them go.

Choosing to kill someone who is clearly subdued and outmatched when there is a non-lethal option is murder, no matter how you wish to justify it. It's not accidental, at best a crime of passion, but clearly it's something they thought about. Premeditation is key and present in both those scenes. Again, not what I'm focusing on and we can agree to disagree.

You can argue that about most supervillains, frankly. Dick doesn't kill. It's a pretty important part of his character. Furthermore, I do in fact fully expect characters to stick to their morals. Betraying their own moral compass is literally betraying their character. It was the wrong move to have Dick force their deaths. If you needed the entire place to go up, you have him walk out with the others and Kory torch it on her own call. Have it be a result of Rachel's powers manifesting or Trigon messing with her from his domain. Kory has taken lives before and Rachel wouldn't be responsible for actions out of her control. There are a lot of paths to the facility exploding that don't assassinate one's character, but they decided to just forgo that and have Dick order their deaths.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-20-2018 at 02:19 AM.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Trigon loves the number of this page.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Trigon loves the number of this page.
    I had the same thought lol.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    No but they shot at Gar and not with a BB gun, but even so he subdued them and let them go.
    They never shot at Gar. He growled at them and one accidentally shot his partner in panic. Then they ran. They never even pulled their weapons on Rachel or Gar.

Choosing to kill someone who is clearly subdued and outmatched when there is a non-lethal option is murder, no matter how you wish to justify it. It's not accidental, at best a crime of passion, but clearly it's something they thought about. Premeditation is key and present in both those scenes. Again, not what I'm focusing on and we can agree to disagree.
    What was the non-lethal option? Taking them to the cops won’t work as they have spies everywhere. Just running away wouldn’t help as they already showed they can track the team. Killing them was the only smart option and severely crippled their organization. The only reason it didn’t get them completely off their backs was because spoilers:
    they didn’t know Rachel’s mother was working for them
    end of spoilers.

You can argue that about most supervillains, frankly.
    I have. Several times. Outside of very few cases, I don’t much care for the no killing rule and think it is dumb 90% of the time it’s applied in DC stories.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-20-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Why are we acting like Gar is some experienced veteran in the show? The dude is a novice that can barely control his powers who thought his friend was in danger and just reacted. He didn’t have the experience or training to do anything else.

They never shot at Gar. He growled at them and one accidentally shot his partner in panic. Then they ran. They never even pulled their weapons on Rachel or Gar.

What was the non-lethal option? Taking them to the cops won’t work as they have spies everywhere. Just running away wouldn’t help as they already showed they can track the team. Killing them was the only smart option and severely crippled their organization. The only reason it didn’t get them completely off their backs was because spoilers:
    end of spoilers.

You can argue that about most supervillains, frankly.
    I have. Several times. Outside of very few cases, I don’t much care for the no killing rule and think it is dumb 90% of the time it’s applied in DC stories.
    The no killing rule is pretty much a staple of a majority of the DC heroes.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Spectacular Member

Titans 33 variant

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    The no killing rule is pretty much a staple of a majority of the DC heroes.
    Yeah. So? I still think it's dumb. At least the way it's been handled most of the time.

Yeah. So? I still think it's dumb. At least the way it's been handled most of the time.
    You can think that, that's cool. I just think it's kinda weird. Going into DC and seeing a big prominent feature of the universe it and being annoyed/not liking it seems weird to me.

I suspect a lot of the writers and editors agree with you, although some (Mark Waid comes to mind) seem to genuinely believe in the no-killing principle. The no killing rule these days is primarily as a business tool to efficiently monetize intellectual properties. After all, otherwise there would no money to be made off Joker merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    You can think that, that's cool. I just think it's kinda weird. Going into DC and seeing a big prominent feature of the universe it and being annoyed/not liking it seems weird to me.
    Just because I'm a DC fan doesn't mean I have to live every feature of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    I suspect a lot of the writers and editors agree with you, although some (Mark Waid comes to mind) seem to genuinely believe in the no-killing principle. The no killing rule these days is primarily as a business tool to efficiently monetize intellectual properties. After all, otherwise there would no money to be made off Joker merchandise.
    Frankly, I'd have a lot more respect for DC if they remembered that and stopped trying to wring drama out of whether or not mosters like the Joker should be killed. We know you aren't going to do it DC so stop bringing it up. You're not fooling anyone.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

end of spoilers.

Could have sworn they did shoot at him when he confronted them but I'll take your word for it since I'm unable to confirm. I can very well be in error.

The no-kill policy is a defining factor of many DC characters and I quite like that they draw the line there. We'll have to agree to disagree with one another because that moves the discussion away from the Titans and more to a greater DCU discussion.

Just because I'm a DC fan doesn't mean I have to live every feature of the universe.
    I'm aware of that. To me it's kinda like getting upset that Seattle rains a lot, it's a part of the identity.