View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 98 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 48889495969798991001011021081481985981098 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 16973

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Haha I actually thought it might be a saeed cameo from buzzfeed but now you mention it...

Plus, I love that gay people are a huge part of the marvel u
    That's a bit on an overstatement. haha
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Well yeah they are. They're superheroes, they exist happily, lgbt issues are featured prominently. It's not perfect but it's way better than other media

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

I agree with Silvermoth. I struggle to think of another form of media where gay characters don't just exist as a protagonist or a plotline, but as characters.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    I agree with Silvermoth. I struggle to think of another form of media where gay characters don't just exist as a protagonist or a plotline, but as characters.
    Marcus and Finch WERE cool, just that they purely exist as two locals helping our hero. Their gayness was briefly touched on in their first appearance (the implications they'd been together for years waiting to get married, and their location in California), but after that, it wasn't a factor at ALL.

I think the media needs two types of LGBT+ characters: those whose identities are explored and/or have really been shaped by their status as non-heterosexual and/or non-cisgender, and those whose overall identities are completely unaffected by their sexuality and/or gender identity. The former improves understanding, the latter works on normalization of open LGBT+ people in society. Both are crucial and important, and I think Marvel's got a good start in both areas. Right now they're a bit scant in the former category, but 2013 was a good year in that area, and hopefully the future will be, too.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

Haha I actually thought it might be a saeed cameo from buzzfeed but now you mention it...

I've made my opinion on the current state of gay characters with Marvel abundantly clear in the past, so I won't repeat it again.
    Suffice it to say I disagree. A lot.

I am really glad that you feel inclusion but I have to disagree. More than half of the LGBT characters aren't even featured in a book at the moment and there aren't that many to start with. Marvel is overdue for a solo book starring a LGBT character. The Avengers are LONG overdue for a LGBT characters (and sorry, Marvel, saying there is one but there hasn't been time to address it is bs)

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    I think the media needs two types of LGBT+ characters: those whose identities are explored and/or have really been shaped by their status as non-heterosexual and/or non-cisgender, and those whose overall identities are completely unaffected by their sexuality and/or gender identity. The former improves understanding, the latter works on normalization of open LGBT+ people in society. Both are crucial and important, and I think Marvel's got a good start in both areas. Right now they're a bit scant in the former category, but 2013 was a good year in that area, and hopefully the future will be, too.
    But Marvel GENERALLY follows the later. Sure, they have gay characters but they rarely ever do anything. Most of the gay characters never explore their sexuality and when they do its only in their committed long term relationship. They are always paired off and rarely shown in intimate situation. The gay characters are desexualized.

Imagine a gay character like Iron Man, Daredevil, Wolverine, Hawkeye; that has a history of sleeping around, or constant dating, etc. We don't get that. Many times I don't even feel the chemistry between the couples either, I'm just told they are a couple and go with it.

Daken was a favorite because he was the opposite of that. You could say its a negative portrayal because he is a villain but I would disagree. And my favorite couple has been RicStar because you feel how important they are to each other even though they might struggle. (Ugh even typing that makes me miss seeing them)

We have progress, which is fantastic. Marvel is a supportive. But separate but equal is not equal.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    But Marvel GENERALLY follows the later. Sure, they have gay characters but they rarely ever do anything. Most of the gay characters never explore their sexuality and when they do its only in their committed long term relationship. They are always paired off and rarely shown in intimate situation. The gay characters are desexualized.

Imagine a gay character like Iron Man, Daredevil, Wolverine, Hawkeye; that has a history of sleeping around, or constant dating, etc. We don't get that. Many times I don't even feel the chemistry between the couples either, I'm just told they are a couple and go with it.

Daken was a favorite because he was the opposite of that. You could say its a negative portrayal because he is a villain but I would disagree. And my favorite couple has been RicStar because you feel how important they are to each other even though they might struggle. (Ugh even typing that makes me miss seeing them)

We have progress, which is fantastic. Marvel is a supportive. But separate but equal is not equal.
    I think one of the issues with showing a gay character who sleeps around is that there's already a stereotype about gay people being more promiscuous. So I think, before having a promiscuous gay character, it might be important to have multiple gay characters in committed, monogamous relationships.

This is a problem that I think may have hit bisexual characters particularly hard. Marvel's two big bisexual characters are Mystique and Daken. Both villains, both hedonists, both twisted in the head, and both very, very promiscuous. It feeds into negative stereotypes about bisexuals.

I do agree, though, that there's a tendency to desexualize LGBT characters, likely out of a desire to avoid making audiences uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I think one of the issues with showing a gay character who sleeps around is that there's already a stereotype about gay people being more promiscuous. So I think, before having a promiscuous gay character, it might be important to have multiple gay characters in committed, monogamous relationships.

This is a problem that I think may have hit bisexual characters particularly hard. Marvel's two big bisexual characters are Mystique and Daken. Both villains, both hedonists, both twisted in the head, and both very, very promiscuous. It feeds into negative stereotypes about bisexuals.

I do agree, though, that there's a tendency to desexualize LGBT characters, likely out of a desire to avoid making audiences uncomfortable.
    I get the promiscuous stereotype. But that doesn't mean that you can't show that. And there is a whole grey area not explore. You could have them flirt with random people and not sleep with them. Those details are what makes characters different and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post

Either go full bore stereotype with U-Hauls or just treat it like a regular relationship.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I think the problem with having any character who sleeps around too much is that it soon becomes all they are known for.

On top of that, I just can't imagine any of our current LGBT characters being huge Grindr users or whatever. Maybe Striker for the ego boost of having lots of msgs.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I think the problem with having any character who sleeps around too much is that it soon becomes all they are known for.

On top of that, I just can't imagine any of our current LGBT characters being huge Grindr users or whatever. Maybe Striker for the ego boost of having lots of msgs.
    Why does that become all they are known for? That's not all Iron Man, Daredevil, etc are known for.

I get the promiscuous stereotype. But that doesn't mean that you can't show that. And there is a whole grey area not explore. You could have them flirt with random people and not sleep with them. Those details are what makes characters different and interesting.
    Sure, they should have some LGBT characters who are more sexually active. I'd be fine with that. I'd be fine with all sorts of stuff.

Also, I'd be totally fine with polyamory being shown in a positive light in a comic. I'm not poly, myself (though the question of multiple partners does become moot when you don't even have one partner), but it's something that could be shown.

I find the range of human sexual and romantic orientations to be really interesting, and I'm all for exploring all of them in superhero comics, because I tend to forget that superhero comics are at least ostensibly supposed to be about punching. Less punching, more flirting! That's what I want.

That and context does matter. When better than 90% of the queer characters in play at the Big Two are either monogamous or don't have their sex lives explored at all, having a gay character who just isn't interested in anything more than FWB situations is actually writing against type.

BANNED

Marvel should make some lgbt solo comic series like they're doing with their female solo books.