Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Diamond Distributors is trying to outfit drug and toy stores with comic racks, which will feature Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse and Dynamite titles.

https://www.newsarama.com/40453-diam...retailers.html

Meanwhile, Gamestop is also going to start selling comics, including both Marvel and DC. Only tent-pole characters, though, so probably Avengers, Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and Black Panther.

https://www.cbr.com/gamestop-selling-marvel-dc-comics/
    Don't you mean that they're trying to bring back Comic Racks to stores ?

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I suspect the reasons were multifaceted, but IMO the ‘positive feedback’ from the early days of the Direct Market drove the publisher decisions. The new distribution model became far more lucrative in a very quick time period. This did lead to many problems including the huge reduction in comic shops when the bubble burst. Indeed the phenomenon of bubbles and the way they lead to crashes is a tell-tale economic sign that decisions are being made based on positive feedback.

Now that online retail has ridden out its own bubble and settled into a mature business model, physical retail has to adapt, and we really are in the end game of the direct market, which I am fully aware many have been forecasting for decades. The reason this time is for real, is that we have seen multiple attempts to keep retail alive or to diversify retail. It remains to be seen if spinner racks are a lifeline or a sign of an encroaching apocalypse. Let’s hope it is the former, and comic stores can find a way to survive.
    Another problem with the newsstand distribution model here in the U.S. was that, unlike the direct market, copies sold through the newsstands were returnable if they weren't sold. (And by "returnable", the publishers didn't actually get back the complete comic book. Stores only had to rip off and send back the covers to the magazine distribution service.) So even as many larger chains didn't want to be bothered with carrying (and the constant clean-up/restocking, etc.) comic books, publishers would make less money from the newsstand copies they printed.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This is definitely an interesting move on DC's part. Whether it will be a success or not, who knows, but it's certainly worth a shot.

As others have noted, Marvel already has collections and digest-sized books in big box stores. This is slightly different as there's the added incentive of having original material in them.

Would Marvel do the same? I'm sure some of what would decide that is seeing how well this does for DC first. One thing I would say is that I think Marvel would be reluctant to assign their top talent to do a project like this. While it's cool that creators like King and Bendis are involved, the argument might be that they should be focused on assignments in the main line. And, of course, conversely you could say that it's important that DC put it's best foot forward as far as trying to appeal to new readers.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I guess I'm most interested to see how these books are displayed in store. I think it's imperative that they be put in a very visible place, ideally in the magazine racks at the check out line, where they can be a impulse buy on the way out of the store. If they're stuck back in the toy department or in some other area where they aren't going to immediately stand out, that'll be a problem.
    As for placement, I'm assuming on the regular magazine/book racks in Walmart would be the more logical spot. As for those titles located near the registers, I don't know if that's just the store's whim as to what goes there or if publishers have to pay $'s to be placed there.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Diamond Distributors is trying to outfit drug and toy stores with comic racks, which will feature Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse and Dynamite titles.

https://www.newsarama.com/40453-diam...retailers.html

Meanwhile, Gamestop is also going to start selling comics, including both Marvel and DC. Only tent-pole characters, though, so probably Avengers, Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and Black Panther.

https://www.cbr.com/gamestop-selling-marvel-dc-comics/
    Aren't toy stores on the decline? toys r us is going bust and closing down
    I'm not sure how many kids go into drug stores either.

Selling comics in supermarkets seems like a smart move. Supermarkets still get plenty of footfall and the abundance of them makes comics more accessible.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Aren't toy stores on the decline? toys r us is going bust and closing down
    I'm not sure how many kids go into drug stores either.

Selling comics in supermarkets seems like a smart move. Supermarkets still get plenty of footfall and the abundance of them makes comics more accessible.
    That's funny the Toys R'Us over here are still open.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    That's funny the Toys R'Us over here are still open.
    Here's a link to a USA Today article from April that might reveal some more about that:

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Here's a link to a USA Today article from April that might reveal some more about that:
    So by the skin of their teeth Toys R'Us managed to survive somehow that would explain why the Asian branches are still operational. Thanks.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 06-24-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    So by the skin of their teeth Toys R'Us managed to survive somehow that would explain why the Asian branches are still operational. Thanks.
    Only some have survived.
    I think all the U.S. locations are suppose to be closed before the end of this month (if they haven't already).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Only some have survived.
    I think all the U.S. locations are suppose to be closed before the end of this month (if they haven't already).
    I guess then Toys R'Us will now be under new management in Canada when I heard of them going bankrupt I thought it meant every Toy R'Us across the globe would be shut down it was evidently not the case.

TRU UK's gone and US and Australia are about to be. You're right about Canada, it's been bought by a company called Fairfax Financial Holdings, and in Germany, Austria and Switzerland it's been taken over by UK retailer Smyths, which wasn't previously operating in those countries.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toys_%..._Us#Bankruptcy
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    This is really fascinating and encouraging. A big but. I find it very odd that one of the highlighted ‘incentives’ offered is access to limited variants. For the kind of retailer they want to attract this incentive would be baffling and entirely lacking of context.
    The limited variant thing is COMPLETELY baffling. It's doubtful the person who will order the comics even knows what variants are and how they work. And let's say they do get a large order requirement variant... Will the person receiving and stocking the comics know and/or care to separate the variants? Then what, are they going to bag and board it for above cover price? Customers at Walmart are going to expect to pay the cover price. And how many Walmart shoppers are going to impulsively purchase a comic for hundreds of dollars?

I could go on. SO many questions.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This is definitely an interesting move on DC's part. Whether it will be a success or not, who knows, but it's certainly worth a shot.
    What good is putting in stuff that LOL is available to read at any time at the public library?

What good is putting in stuff that features characters DC has CRAPPED on like the Teen Titans? Or guys who do not have stuff in trade like Cassie & Bart Allen.

Where are the POC at? How many more parents of color have to scream out loud where is the content with stuff that looks like them? Instead of this mind set that if it's POC it's not going to sell. You don't want them going to Boom & Lion Forge-who is going after them.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I guess I'm most interested to see how these books are displayed in store. I think it's imperative that they be put in a very visible place, ideally in the magazine racks at the check out line, where they can be a impulse buy on the way out of the store.

If they're stuck back in the toy department or in some other area where they aren't going to immediately stand out, that'll be a problem.
    Most Wal-Marts have the magazines set up in the BACK with electronics. Some have them by jewelry. Some have them by auto/paint.
    Most Wal-Marts do not have more than 4 check out open and the rest be self -check out. NO Wal-Mart is going to take down Time, People, Hip Hop trash magazines and gossip rags fro DC nor Marvel. Heck they don't do it for Archie.
    Archie-a digest you will be LUCKY to find at Wal-Mart. Not all of them sell it. Which is why you see them at Target now in EVERY check out lane.

TOYS might be the only place they can go to be seen.

IN all honesty-if Marvel was to do this-they need to go to Target.

Who has a huge section set aside for comics, games and shows like Stranger Things-generally located by the electronics and games.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What good is putting in stuff that LOL is available to read at any time at the public library?
    Is this kind of stuff available at libraries? It would make it convenient for me to get a hold of them (I'm not often in Walmarts) .
    Where are the POC at? How many more parents of color have to scream out loud where is the content with stuff that looks like them? Instead of this mind set that if it's POC it's not going to sell. You don't want them going to Boom & Lion Forge-who is going after them.
    In fairness, didn't Marvel's digests emphasize their main, mostly white, heroes?

I think a Black Panther digest was only released later on, and closer to the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Most Wal-Marts have the magazines set up in the BACK with electronics. Some have them by jewelry. Some have them by auto/paint.
    Most Wal-Marts do not have more than 4 check out open and the rest be self -check out. NO Wal-Mart is going to take down Time, People, Hip Hop trash magazines and gossip rags fro DC nor Marvel. Heck they don't do it for Archie.
    Archie-a digest you will be LUCKY to find at Wal-Mart. Not all of them sell it. Which is why you see them at Target now in EVERY check out lane.
    My closest Walmart has books/magazines towards the middle of the store, right across from greeting cards. Not all that close to electronics, nor jewelry, nor auto/paint. (Closer to the food aisles, and not all that far from the registers.)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    The limited variant thing is COMPLETELY baffling. It's doubtful the person who will order the comics even knows what variants are and how they work. And let's say they do get a large order requirement variant... Will the person receiving and stocking the comics know and/or care to separate the variants? Then what, are they going to bag and board it for above cover price? Customers at Walmart are going to expect to pay the cover price. And how many Walmart shoppers are going to impulsively purchase a comic for hundreds of dollars?

I could go on. SO many questions.
    It is very odd. I imagine the person doing the purchasing having a small pile of books that they don’t know what to do with. Sure they might just put them on the rack and sell them for cover price. They might just give them to a kid they know. They might read up what a variant is and be even more baffled that they have no way of marketing them in their store so instead just keep them in a draw. Vaguely knowing they are worth something but not really being that bothered otherwise.

These are the displays Wal*Mart will be using for the DC books (photos courtesy Dan Didio via Newsarama)

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato