Page 911 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 4118118619019079089099109119129139149159219611011 ... LastLast
Results 13,651 to 13,665 of 17573
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Reagan merely fed off of a perfect cocktail of long-festering opposition to FDR-era programs and married it to long-festering opposition to Civil Rights to create a coalition of white, working class voters, libertarians, and high level executives. This is hardly something that came out of nowhere. It was Reagan who saw two powerful constituencies and married them together through the tactics listed, but I think we are giving it too much credit for being “transformative”. These things had long existed and been litigated as separate things for a long time. Reagan was able to create a narrative that these programs and taxes businesses hated were a liberal plot to give it to black, single mothers who wouldn’t bother working.

The reason Obama didn’t get more things like the ACA done was because he had to govern with Republican obstructionists for six out of his eight years in office. You can’t expect that there are no compromises made in that situation. Sanders would likely get even less done with the opposition coming from both Republicans and Democrats who he has not been shy about slamming. He never cared to get the party to fall in love with him. That’s fine for a campaign, but bad for governing. Reagan was able to consolidate the rest of the Southern Dixiecrats to fall in line behind the Republican Party, who now became the bastion of both economic and social conservatism. Sanders isn’t Reagan and he isn’t seeing pre-existing demographics that can form a unique coalition either. He is depending and staking his candidacy, and the White House, on something new. That isn’t bankable.
    The idea was to try and build a progressive coalition that would unite the working classes and their economic grievances with middle class minority voters who wanted more social reform, which together would greatly outnumber and overwhelm any opposition. However the Democratic party pretty effectively fractured that by painting progressives as a bunch of toxic racist bros and sold enlightened centrism as the only way to achieve any of our goals which, as history has shown us, it absolutely isn't. I do feel like in terms of optics, Bernie wasn't quite the candidate to unite economic and social progressives because he is after all just another crusty old white guy telling us what they should do, and this race had a lot of apparently young and diverse faces jump in. However, one by one they either revealed themselves to be frauds selling an empty message, or just proved to be unsuited to the spotlight, and we're back to the dueling grandpas once more.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The idea was to try and build a progressive coalition that would unite the working classes and their economic grievances with middle class minority voters who wanted more social reform, which together would greatly outnumber and overwhelm any opposition. However the Democratic party pretty effectively fractured that by painting progressives as a bunch of toxic racist bros and sold enlightened centrism as the only way to achieve any of our goals which, as history has shown us, it absolutely isn't. I do feel like in terms of optics, Bernie wasn't quite the candidate to unite economic and social progressives because he is after all just another crusty old white guy telling us what they should do, and this race had a lot of apparently young and diverse faces jump in. However, one by one they either revealed themselves to be frauds selling an empty message, or just proved to be unsuited to the spotlight, and we're back to the dueling grandpas once more.
    In all fairness, the progressives attack the other centrists (is that a new word... don't recall it prior to this election) just as much as the centrists attack the progressives. Any episode of the Young Turks will illustrate that clearly.

I honestly think the only reason we don't have a third party is because the progressives know they can't get anything done without the democratic party behind them. Otherwise Bernie and his supporters probably would have walked away from the DNC a long time ago.

Which isn't to say the Republicans don't have similar divides... but they are much better at circling the wagons and coming togther when they need to. For better or for worse, they are a much more united party than the Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Maybe folding was too strong of a word. I do understand you need compromise but One of the biggest bad things I hear about him is that he will give up too much.
    I see your "hypothetical compromising Biden" and gesture in the direction of the "actual incompetent, mentally ill, spiteful f***wad in orange bronzer" and think there's no contest that Biden will serve us far better.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, I think that's the issue with a guy like Sanders. Some may imagine him bringing about all sorts of reforms if he becomes president but honestly I imagine he'd get almost NOTHING done. His inability to compromise even with his own party I think gurantees that he'll end up with a single term and not a lot to show for it.

More than anything, it would just give his policies a HUGE platform. Which in and of itself I imagine has great value... he just won't do anywhere near as much as I think some might hope he would.

Not that I think Biden will get a whole lot done either.
    Getting elected would give Berine a great platform. But that doesnt look like it is going to happen. One thing Bernie is good at his getting his message out there. he is a fairly good speaker and gets his views across. But one thing people need to see is that he is not the one who will be able to deliver on his promises. That is for a number of reasons. Alienating his own party, The public not ready for such drastic changes, Republican road blocks etc... Berine is the messenger not the savior.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I see your "hypothetical compromising Biden" and gesture in the direction of the "actual incompetent, mentally ill, spiteful f***wad in orange bronzer" and think there's no contest that Biden will serve us far better.
    I do think Biden will be better then Trump. I never said he wouldnt be.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I do think Biden will be better then Trump. I never said he wouldnt be.
    I mean, I was more enthusiastic about Warren, Harris, and Castro, but I'm more than prepared to put stock in Biden or Sanders if it's them in the end. (It's gonna be Biden.)
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I mean, I was more enthusiastic about Warren, Harris, and Castro, but I'm more than prepared to put stock in Biden or Sanders if it's them in the end. (It's gonna be Biden.)
    Ah Okay I get you now. Sorry. And yes I was more excited about a couple of the others as well.

How Fox News has shifted its coronavirus rhetoric
    Twitter Link with video

On Fox News, suddenly a very different tune about the coronavirus

Fox News personalities such as Sean Hannity and Laura In*graham accused the news media of whipping up “mass hysteria” and being “panic pushers.” Fox Business host Trish Regan called the alleged media-Democratic alliance “yet another attempt to impeach the president.”

But that was then.

With Trump’s declaration on Friday that the virus constitutes a national emergency, the tone on Fox News has quickly shifted.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

U.S. and Canada agree to close border to 'nonessential traffic,' Trump says

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that the U.S. is temporarily closing its northern border with Canada to all “nonessential traffic" due to the spread of the coronavirus.

In the announcement on Twitter, Trump indicated that it was agreed upon by Canada as well and it will not affect trade between the two countries.

Trump indicated in his announcement on Twitter that it will not affect trade between the two countries but did not offer any additional details.

“We will be, by mutual consent, temporarily closing our Northern Border with Canada to non-essential traffic. Trade will not be affected. Details to follow!” Trump tweeted.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Mighty Member

All over for Bernie now. If you lose Florida and Arizona that have significant Hispanic votes, it shows your not the right guy. Time to back Biden. If Biden's smart he will pick a not just pick a woman for VP, but a woman of African decent. He needs that Obama coalition to win, because to two to with Trump...I'm not sure if he can win.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    All over for Bernie now. If you lose Florida and Arizona that have significant Hispanic votes, it shows your not the right guy. Time to back Biden. If Biden's smart he will pick a not just pick a woman for VP, but a woman of African decent. He needs that Obama coalition to win, because to two to with Trump...I'm not sure if he can win.
    Because I'm honestly doubtful that Biden will be a 2 term president even if he does win (due to age obviously), I think his choice of VP will be huge. It could very well be the democratic nominee in 4 years. And that's something which has to be in the back of his mind, even though he obviously needs to concern himself first and foremost with winning THIS election.

He's already stated it will be a woman. In all likelihood it probably needs to be a minority. And probably someone slightly more progressive than him (which won't be that hard), even though I doubt he'll pick anyone too extreme.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Faux News had been on shaky ground with Caramel Caligula of late because they hadn't kissed his ass enough. This turnaround, in my eyes, is nothing more than a blatant kowtow to get back in his graces, those cretins no doubt still think it's a hoax, the minute Trump has a relapse and says as much, it'll be back to business as usual.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The idea was to try and build a progressive coalition that would unite the working classes and their economic grievances with middle class minority voters who wanted more social reform, which together would greatly outnumber and overwhelm any opposition.
    If you really want to build said coalition, then stop arguing with us and trying to tell us that you know better than we do what is good for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    "Sanders will 'assess his campaign' after recent losses, campaign manager says"

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-losses-135395

Clyburn urges Biden to pick black woman as running mate: 'African American women need to be rewarded' for loyalty"

"House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) urged former Vice President Joe Biden on Wednesday to pick a black woman as his running mate to "reward" them for loyalty to the Democratic Party if he is its presidential nominee.

Clyburn, who endorsed Biden ahead of his South Carolina primary win late last month, told NPR, "I really believe that we've reached a point in this country where African American women need to be rewarded for the loyalty that they've given to this party."

He named a number of black women who he thinks would be good choices to share a ticket with Biden, including Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and Georgia Democratic gubernatorial nominee and voting rights activist Stacey Abrams.

Clyburn also mentioned Democratic Reps. Marcia Fudge (Ohio), Val Demings (Fla.) and Karen Bass (Calif.) as potential choices, as well as Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms.

Biden has said he could choose a female running mate, citing Abrams as someone who would be qualified.

The 2020 Democratic front-runner has also vowed to nominate a black woman to the Supreme Court if he's elected.

Exit polls from Edison Research found 61 percent of Democratic voters in South Carolina said Clyburn's endorsement of Biden was a significant factor in their voting choice, The Hill previously reported."

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...-women-need-to

----

I prefer Harris -- as both Sanders and Biden agree, some people need to go to jail for their actions and Harris is on that same page.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-18-2020 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It's even worse when you consider Bernie isn't acting like that. His reluctance to take heavy shots at Biden show that Bernie is really only staying in to keep his message in the public eye rather than any belief he can win. Too bad his Stans are so enraged they can't even listen to the guy they claim to support.
    This has been a big problem for a long time now.

Mighty Member

I do think he will pick a black woman for his running mate, Harris would be good, but she comes from the easiest region for the Democrats to win (California & the west coast) I think the running mate will probably be someone from the midwest or south, I could be wrong...just my guess.