Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    Yeah, they should. But for that to happen, they need to get their editorial staff together. Sometimes, between the continuity inconsistencies across the titles, and the various grammatical/spelling errors in marvel books every week, it feels like the editors aren't even around. marvel needs to hire a few more to drop the work load, and then they can get an editor or 2 assigned to the newbies to ease them in.
    Can you name these books?

You are the second person who has accused Marvel editors of this. The first guy I don't trust because he has begged on youtube for money to get a haircut and made over 20 videos bashing Black Panther & Star Wars LJ based on trailers. I want someone who has read Marvel books to point these out.

And FYI to be a Marvel editor-all you needed as a knowledge of comics and a degree.
    This was the best link I could find-it's not on the book side

https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/n...ia/391/6988800
    A degree in Communications, Marketing or English is preferred.
    Interns for Marvel
    https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/n...18/391/7412651
    Students of all years, majors, and backgrounds are encouraged to apply. There are no creative qualifications. However, experience in narrative-based (published or performed) media is preferred, and editorial experience is desirable. Familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite is a must.
    They start in May and stay until August.

Can't say I know of any black female writers other than Roxanne Gay and the women who is pitching in on that rise of the black panther book (I think theres a co author) but I'd take any of them over Bendis. But please, no more YA novelist comic noobs. I want a fresh perspective for RiRi so I can actually read her, but I have hated every YA novlest that Marvel has picked up so far.
    Erika Alexander from the Cosby Show is sitting out there. Concrete park won some awards.
    Tee Ferguson is out there too with her book Bingo Love a top seller in LGBT on Amazon.

Marvel is OWNED by Disney-right? Who air Side Chick AKA Scandal, Grey's Anatomy & Blackish. I am SURE they can offer names of black female writers.

Also some of those YA folks are chosen for a reason and it's not SJW or Political this or PC Culture that. It is because they are NAMES in that industry and will make it EASIER to get those books into schools. Because the folks who do the BUYING of the books are not comic book nerds. Bendis and Johns and Al Ewing mean NOTHING to them. Jason Reynolds and the guy writing New Superman and Gabby Rivera are known to them.

There is a reason Jason Reynolds's Miles Morales novel is a best seller and New York Times best seller. I am reading that book and he has done a better JOB with Miles than Bendis has in 7 years. He gives that human side that is missing from Miles.

So while it annoys comic book fans-its serving the purpose for noncomic book fans.

It does get to a point of can there be a way to merge both sides and win?

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I wonder if the predicted Nor'Easter storm kept normal business from being conducted today.
    Didn't think about that. But it would explain why they didn't release anything today (assuming there's more to come) when they've been pretty darn consistent thus far in releasing something (or sometimes two things, like the Sentry and Deadpool yesterday) every day.

If you're confused, you're just overthinking it.

Some books are getting new creative teams. Some books are taking new directions. And some altogether new titles are being launched.

The same stuff that goes on all the time in comics.

One by one, each title is getting some attention in the comic press explaining what will be going on with that particular book.

What else do you need to know about "what exactly is going on?"
    My point is its impossible to tell if this is a line wide relaunch or partial. Is it like Rebirth or All New All Different and every single book is restarting? If so that affects my buying decisions.

Or is it a partial relaunch? Like Legacy or Now. Some people are saying Daredevil is continuing under the legacy imprint with legacy numbers. If this is true, the announcements could be done and we have no idea which current books are cancelled. This also effects my buying choices. And more than that it just effects my general excitement for marvel.

Marvel always does this, All New All Different had announcements for like 3 straight months, they were still announcing books considered to be part of the "initial" lineup when some books were already released.

You act like its straightforward, but you don't actually have the answer about what is happening. Because no one actually knows.

When DC does a relaunch I always know exactly what books are continuing and which are cancelled and what month to expect each book and I can adjust my pull list accordingly. They might spread out the story details etc, but at least we know what the full line looks like. With Marvel I can't make any decisions cause they might announce 3 books I would want more a month from now, but by then I might already have used up my pull budget on other earlier announcements or other publishers.

You act like I'm being ridiculous but I tend to spend a lot more money on DC relaunches because they consistently provide enough clarity to budget and form a pull list.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    My point is its impossible to tell if this is a line wide relaunch or partial. Is it like Rebirth or All New All Different and every single book is restarting? If so that affects my buying decisions.

Or is it a partial relaunch? Like Legacy or Now. Some people are saying Daredevil is continuing under the legacy imprint with legacy numbers. If this is true, the announcements could be done and we have no idea which current books are cancelled. This also effects my buying choices. And more than that it just effects my general excitement for marvel.

Marvel always does this, All New All Different had announcements for like 3 straight months, they were still announcing books considered to be part of the "initial" lineup when some books were already released.

You act like its straightforward, but you don't actually have the answer about what is happening. Because no one actually knows.

When DC does a relaunch I always know exactly what books are continuing and which are cancelled and what month to expect each book and I can adjust my pull list accordingly. They might spread out the story details etc, but at least we know what the full line looks like. With Marvel I can't make any decisions cause they might announce 3 books I would want more a month from now, but by then I might already have used up my pull budget on other earlier announcements or other publishers.

You act like I'm being ridiculous but I tend to spend a lot more money on DC relaunches because they consistently provide enough clarity to budget and form a pull list.
    I guess this doesn't strike me to be any particular challenge as a consumer.

You know that once upon a time comic fans just went into their local shops or wherever they bought their books and just picked up what interested them, right? Readers didn't even know ahead of time what was going to be on the shelves until they walked in and saw the books. Imagine that!

These days, complete solicitations come out three months before books arrive. So, say, by mid-March you'll know every single Marvel title that's coming out in June. How much more clarity do you need than that?

Do I know "exactly what's happening" with every single book in Marvel's line yet beyond the May solicitations? No. Why would I need to? Thanks to the recent announcements, I know about some of the big launches coming up past May. Some of them look really interesting to me so I'll be keeping an eye out for them when I know they're coming out and as time goes on, I know I'll have all the information I'll need about those books well in advance of anything actually hitting shelves so I'm not worried or confused in the slightest. It all seems pretty straightforward to me.

Astonishing Member

The big problem is how infomation is being distrbutes compared to rebirth. Rebirth we got a clear image out of the get go, continues information, and it was all phrased as a apology to give fans what they wanted and shown they were listing to fan feedback and giving them what they wanted. Fresh start as of now we got a vauge consept, chunks of info every few days, no comment on any input fans had, and with the dozen of previous relaunches noting to conform that this is a well thought out plan. And thats the biggest problem there were so many relaunches from marvel theres no point in being invested in fresh start if it will be undone by another relunch 6 months later.

I guess this doesn't strike me to be any particular challenge as a consumer.

You know that once upon a time comic fans just went into their local shops or wherever they bought their books and just picked up what interested them, right? Readers didn't even know ahead of time what was going to be on the shelves until they walked in and saw the books. Imagine that!

These days, complete solicitations come out three months before books arrive. So, say, by mid-March you'll know every single Marvel title that's coming out in June. How much more clarity do you need than that?

Do I know "exactly what's happening" with every single book in Marvel's line yet beyond the May solicitations? No. Why would I need to? Thanks to the recent announcements, I know about some of the big launches coming up past May. Some of them look really interesting to me so I'll be keeping an eye out for them when I know they're coming out and as time goes on, I know I'll have all the information I'll need about those books well in advance of anything actually hitting shelves so I'm not worried or confused in the slightest. It all seems pretty straightforward to me.
    And some people prefer to spend their limited money on full story arcs of books they enjoy rather then random shit they see on the shelf each week! Imagine that. Sometimes society changes. We also have cell phones now and this nifty thing called the internet!

3 months is kind of useless when a normal arc lasts around 6 issues, I'm not going to pull then drop a book mid arc. And because of that I'm not going to put Cates' Venom on my pull list until I know the full line up, because if they announce something I really want 2 months from now (say an Elektra ongoing) like they were doing in All New All Different, well now I have already told my shop to pull 2 issues of Venom, but I can't afford to finish that arc AND buy Elektra which I'd want more. So I end up not getting the book I want OR I have 2 useless issues of Venom I paid $10 for and only get half the story.

I also have NO idea which current books I pull are ending, so I don't know how much money I now have in my budget to add these new Fresh Start books. If a new version of Secret Warriors is announced in a couple months (highly plausible since they are getting an animated movie but who knows) well I don't want to have given up its spot on my pull list to the new Ant Man book. But if I know its not part of the relaunch, then I can buy Ant Man.

Again, literally every DC relaunch its perfectly clear what the full line is and its simple to budget accordingly, so its not like its hard for Marvel to do this.

All I get out of your posts is that you aren't someone who's finances require them to long term budget. Lucky you.
    Last edited by dan12456; 03-07-2018 at 08:52 PM.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    The big problem is how infomation is being distrbutes compared to rebirth. Rebirth we got a clear image out of the get go, continues information, and it was all phrased as a apology to give fans what they wanted and shown they were listing to fan feedback and giving them what they wanted. Fresh start as of now we got a vauge consept, chunks of info every few days, no comment on any input fans had, and with the dozen of previous relaunches noting to conform that this is a well thought out plan. And thats the biggest problem there were so many relaunches from marvel theres no point in being invested in fresh start if it will be undone by another relunch 6 months later.
    Rebirth would need more advance info as it was a complete reboot of the line, affecting continuity and being intended as a clean break from the New52 era.

This is not that. Books are getting new creative teams and/or taking new directions while the universe and continuity will remain the same.

And this hand-wringing from some fans about "what if it will be undone by another relaunch?" is just silly. Nothing is being undone by this relaunch. Nothing was undone by the last relaunch, or the one before that. Continuity has never been affected. When they do another promotional push like this next year, nothing will be undone then. So feel free to get invested in whatever books you want. If you're worried that the book you're following might be cancelled - well, that's always been a problem with comics. It sucks that, say, Hawkeye is over. But we had sixteen great issues. Should I have not bothered getting invested in the first place because Marvel couldn't guarantee me when the first issue was solicited that it would never come to an end? No, of course not.

And if you're worried that the book you're following might be renumbered in a year, so what? How many volumes has Jason Aaron's Thor run been through over the years and over the course of how many relaunches? Or Gerry Duggan's Deadpool? Or Dan Slott's Spider-Man? Did the renumbering ever affect the storytelling in the slightest? No. As long as the continuity is intact and the creative team can keep telling the stories they want to tell, what about a new #1 every so often would keep a reader from staying invested? Nothing, right? Because nothing has been undone. It's still the same story, just continued over the course of several volumes.

The only thing you need to know about the upcoming books is what the books are, which creators are involved, and what their plans for the books are. After that, it's just a matter of deciding your level of interest.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 03-07-2018 at 09:11 PM.

BANNED

And some people prefer to spend their limited money on full story arcs of books they enjoy rather then random shit they see on the shelf each week! Imagine that. Sometimes society changes. We also have cell phones now and this nifty thing called the internet!

3 months is kind of useless when a normal arc lasts around 6 issues, I'm not going to pull then drop a book mid arc. And because of that I'm not going to put Cates' Venom on my pull list until I know the full line up, because if they announce something I really want 2 months from now (say an Elektra ongoing) like they were doing in All New All Different, well now I have already told my shop to pull 2 issues of Venom, but I can't afford to finish that arc AND buy Elektra which I'd want more. So I end up not getting the book I want OR I have 2 useless issues of Venom I paid $10 for and only get half the story.

I also have NO idea which current books I pull are ending, so I don't know how much money I now have in my budget to add these new Fresh Start books. If a new version of Secret Warriors is announced in a couple months (highly plausible since they are getting an animated movie but who knows) well I don't want to have given up its spot on my pull list to the new Ant Man book. But if I know its not part of the relaunch, then I can buy Ant Man.

Again, literally every DC relaunch its perfectly clear what the full line is and its simple to budget accordingly, so its not like its hard for Marvel to do this.

All I get out of your posts is that you aren't someone who's finances require them to long term budget. Lucky you.
    Yes, I am lucky in that I don't have to plot out my comic book purchases six months in advance. I get what I want each week according to my level of interest and how much money I have to spend at the time. I've been doing it that way for decades and it's really, really simple. I don't always have the money to get everything I want but that's where I prioritize my buys and make some choices. I don't know. It seems like you're making something that is incredibly easy sound absolutely impossible. But, hey, I guess everybody has their own way of doing things.

Yes, I am lucky in that I don't have to plot out my comic book purchases six months in advance. I get what I want each week according to my level of interest and how much money I have to spend at the time. I've been doing it that way for decades and it's really, really simple. I don't always have the money to get everything I want but that's where I prioritize my buys and make some choices. I don't know. It seems like you're making something that is incredibly easy sound absolutely impossible. But, hey, I guess everybody has their own way of doing things.
    It also sounds like we have very different comic shops, at mine if you don't pull it, 50% chance its sold out by the end of wednesday. There isn't really an option to decide each week unless you get there for opening (which isn't possible for people that work) or want to pick from the leftovers only. If I don't pull the first two issues of Cates' Venom, I'm simply not getting them. So I can't wait 3 months then start pulling the third issue once I see the full line, cause I'll never get the first two issues of the story. Again you are assuming something is easy just because you have the good fortune of it being easy.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Does anyone know when Marvel will start printing Conan books?

It also sounds like we have very different comic shops, at mine if you don't pull it, 50% chance its sold out by the end of wednesday. There isn't really an option to decide each week unless you get there for opening (which isn't possible for people that work) or want to pick from the leftovers only. If I don't pull the first two issues of Cates' Venom, I'm simply not getting them. So I can't wait 3 months then start pulling the third issue once I see the full line, cause I'll never get the first two issues of the story. Again you are assuming something is easy just because you have the good fortune of it being easy.
    Though I admit I'm heavily biased, the upcoming Venom book looks like it might be the best Venom solo story yet, going all the way back to 1993.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post

Though I admit I'm heavily biased, the upcoming Venom book looks like it might be the best Venom solo story yet, going all the way back to 1993.
    Cates definitely seems like the next big thing. Could really impress on the title. I've admittedly never been a huge Venom fan but this book has me very intrigued.

Cates definitely seems like the next big thing. Could really impress on the title. I've admittedly never been a huge Venom fan but this book has me very intrigued.
    I think that the upcoming two parter The Nativity is going to be something of a prequel. It's going to be in Venom #164-165. Speaking of Conan, some of the art for #1 leads me to believe that the beginning of the story might be taking place in Hyboria:

"I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post

Marvel can start with Conan in 2019.

It's going to take a lot for me to like Cate's Venom more than Remender's run. I just love that run so much. Although since every single thing I have read from Cates has been fantastic, he might be able to top it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Marvel can start with Conan in 2019.

It's going to take a lot for me to like Cate's Venom more than Remender's run. I just love that run so much. Although since every single thing I have read from Cates has been fantastic, he might be able to top it.
    I agree, Remender was amazing, and it's a shame that it ended when it did. There's actually going to be an interview of Cates and Stegman on The Venom Site pretty soon. You can still submit questions for them here or the Venom Site reddit:

http://www.thevenomsite.com/2018/02/...ates-ryan.html

Both have stated that they're going to mine old Venom characters, so we might see a return of the Symbiote Slayers, Toxin, etc., as well as possibly older characters like Beck. I think Mania will be showing up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    So while it annoys comic book fans-its serving the purpose for noncomic book fans.

It does get to a point of can there be a way to merge both sides and win?
    I skipped over many of your excellent points. I would like to focus on your last question and answer it by saying that that combining both sides may be the only way to win.

I don't see the advantage to having one slate of books all homogeneous and interconnected with underlying stories tying them all in together. Sure, there are people who love that and that's OK, but there are others who prefer a few titles and still others who prefer the newer stuff.

Why can't there be books for everybody? Go back to the good old days and look at some Bullpen Bulletin pages and the checklists on them. There were Millie the Models and Sgt Furys. Rawhide Kids and Creatures on the Loose. Crazy and Not Brand Ecch. Star Comics. Epic Comics.

Marvel doesn't come in just one flavor. It never did.