Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I think I've finally accepted that even if Bunheads could still be greenlit for a second season/revival, it's been such a period of time that it simply wouldn't be worth it. You can't put the band back together on one season of high school students two or three years later.

Still holding out hopes for a fourth way late in the game season of Black Books, though.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member

I don't necessarily pine for this series as I saw it well after the fact. However, I feel I am uniquely aware of it. You see, when you have a certain obsession, a little digging can reveal TV shows that people have forgotten. For me, that obsession is fairy tales. Now these days, everybody knows about the fairy tale themed dramas like ABC's Once Upon a Time, NBC's Grimm and even the CW's Beauty and the Beast (itself a remake of a show from the '80s). But does anyone remember The Charmings?

The Charmings had a plot that sounds like "Disney's Enchanted the Series". After the events of the fairy tale "Snow White", she and her prince cast the Evil Queen down a bottomless pit. However, it turned out the pit wasn't all that bottomless as the enraged Queen climbed out and then used a spell so powerful she couldn't control it on the Charmings and their two children. She also manages to hit herself and one of the dwarfs with it. The result is they all sleep for a thousand years after which they wake up in the modern day (or rather, the 1980s) at which point they move to the suburbs of Los Angeles and try to adapt to a non-fairy tale life.

This show wasn't a "one season wonder" so much as a "two season wonder". However, the first season was short seeing as it was a midseason replacement show.

Season One intro:

Here's a link to the Season Two intro:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Um-e4iqYyA

The show came about years before Sabrina the Teenage Witch would create a (short-lived) interest in quirky magical sitcoms. However, it was probably around the same time as quirky family shows like ALF and Small Wonder. It is interesting to see that ABC did a fairy tale themed show well before they were bought by Disney. It's also interesting to see what their approach to fairy tales was at the time. Ages before we had Buzzfeed articles going on and on about how "dark" fairy tales were, they were still working from their reputation for being children's stories. So, naturally, the answer was a family sitcom. What killed this show? Well, they replaced their Snow White after the first season, which I don't think helped them. But mainly, as I understand it they put the The Charmings up opposite NBC's The Cosby Show which was instant ratings death at the time.

Perhaps not the best show out there, but an interesting example of forgotten TV and the interpretation of fairy tales in the media.
    Last edited by AdamFTF; 10-25-2015 at 06:33 AM.

The Good Guys

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by StrongStyleSpirit View Post
    Ally McBeal was quite good before Robert Downey Jr done gone went passed pout on drugs...
    He was just getting in character to play Stark early, that's all!

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    The Good Guys
    Good ol' Bradley Whitford is freaking awesome in that.
    Last edited by harashkupo; 10-25-2015 at 01:31 PM.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Good ol' Bradley Whitford is freaking awesome in that.
    Not to mention Hanks and the intimately lovely Jenny Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Not to mention Hanks and the intimately lovely Jenny Wade.
    I fell in love with her on that show.

That voice.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Incredible Member

MTV's DEATH VALLEY. Basically Cops/Reno 911 with vamps, werewolves, and zombies. Shame it only lasted one season. A police department task force dealing with all that goes bump in the night, and the expendable camera crew that follows them.

BANNED

I wanted to like The Good Guys, but it wasn't really all that funny. Same thing Death Valley, remember looking forward to it, never watched it beyond the first episode. They're both good ideas, but they weren't really good shows.

Watched some of Nichols, a western show from the '70s, it's a shame that didn't go beyond one season.

Last edited by simbob4000; 10-28-2015 at 09:00 PM.

After all these years, I'm still waiting for my chance to clobber the guy that cancelled The Pirates of Dark Water.

The Pirates of Dark Water was an absolutely fantastic show out of the early 90s. As beautiful as it was imaginative, I still rank it among the greatest cartoons of all time. But being one of the greatest cartoons of all time gets really expensive really fast, and the money well quickly dried up. The show was cancelled, it's plot unresolved, me and the rest of the fans furious. I still hold out hope that eventually someone will decide to do something with the franchise. Comic, reboot, whatever. It deserves better than to be forgotten.

Come to think of it, I could probably use the exact same description for Reboot.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Tom Selleck has had a very long career in TV and films. Selleck rose to fame playing the awesome Magnum P.I. As Thomas Magnum he became a sex symbol with ladies and had a very long 8 season run. The show has a known fact , the people who had done Hawaii Five-0 had been behind this series. After the older series ended CBS fired up this one and those people stayed there and done it.

The actor would soon become very in demand and after nearly getting the role of Indiana Jones once (Magnum's filming schedule put kibosh on that) he would move into film roles in 1988 after the series ended. Its there Selleck would play in films and after his film career started to slow by the mid to late 1990's he did something that would give him a career re-jolt. He took a small recurring role on FRIENDS that saw him date Monica awhile. The role pretty much got Selleck noticed and Hollywood saw how solid he seemed in a comedy series.

So after NBC was unable to sign Selleck to a deal (rumors are they tried) CBS brought the man responsible for Magnum P.I. back to the network. And this would be a unique change of pace show for the older actor.

Selleck would play Jack McLaren an advertising executive would would start his own agency with his own wacky cast. And this show had a hell of a cast with Ed Asner . David Krumholtz and Penelope Ann Miller involved. The show would also have moments with Selleck's character trying to handle a grown daughter and ex-wife as well. So overall the cast and show had a huge pedigree behind it.

But sadly for Selleck the show itself never caught on when it was scheduled on Monday nights and it would only run 10 episodes. Cancelled after CBS had such high hopes for it.

Selleck would move on and go back to something he knew and it was playing a cop. In the TV Movie series of Jesse Stone. Then in 2010 , Selleck would latch on his next biggest role on CBS now. A 50ish father of policemen . The show is still running.

Not bad for a 70 year old huh.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    After all these years, I'm still waiting for my chance to clobber the guy that cancelled The Pirates of Dark Water.

The Pirates of Dark Water was an absolutely fantastic show out of the early 90s. As beautiful as it was imaginative, I still rank it among the greatest cartoons of all time. But being one of the greatest cartoons of all time gets really expensive really fast, and the money well quickly dried up. The show was cancelled, it's plot unresolved, me and the rest of the fans furious. I still hold out hope that eventually someone will decide to do something with the franchise. Comic, reboot, whatever. It deserves better than to be forgotten.

Come to think of it, I could probably use the exact same description for Reboot.
    Kind of surprised Cartoon Network never brought Dark Water back, there was a while in the '90s where they ran it quite a bit

BANNED

@SuperECW - nice with the deep cut on Selleck there

speaking of CBS - Robert Pastorelli left Murphy Brown to star in a show of his own

it was called 'Double Rush' and starred a young DL Hughley and David Arquette as part of a group of bike messengers in NYC, Pastorelli played a former musician who ended up running this business, also starred Ted from Scrubs, lasted a season, I thought it was clever

Incredible Member

Stargate Atlantis-yeah, I know it lasted four seasons, but it's cancellation kind of came out of left field. The ratings were decent, but rising production costs offset those, and it ended up cancelled. SyFy threw all the Stargate eggs into the basket which was UNIVERSE, which borrowed a little too much from LOST, and the overhyped snoozefest Battlestar Galactica. Never held my interest, and seemed to fade away rather quickly. Always thought if they had kept Atlantis for another season ,and Universe got its start. The transition would've gone easier, and not feel like all hope for the franchise was on Universe's shoulders.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    I wanted to like The Good Guys, but it wasn't really all that funny. Same thing Death Valley, remember looking forward to it, never watched it beyond the first episode. They're both good ideas, but they weren't really good shows.

Watched some of Nichols, a western show from the '70s, it's a shame that didn't go beyond one season.

I remember that one . Had a pre-Superman Margot Kidder too as I recall.