Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1102
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    In fact, ALL of Luke's clothes other than the cloak went with him into the Force. That's the first for a Jedi. When Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin went, they left their garb behind.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    He is also the only Jedi we've seen pass into the Force at perfect peace with himself and the universe.

Yoda dies of natural causes, but he's clearly still anxious about Luke's upcoming confrontation with Vader.

Luke seems perfectly confident that whatever happens, balance will be restored and good will prevail.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Since no clothing is sentient, and therefore cannot become a ghost, all ghost Jedi should be naked. Its not as if one of the force powers is "force them to see clothing on me!" or the equivalent.

Although the notion that Yoda has been actually naked in every single film, and just has been force-projecting clothing on himself, is actually very "Yoda" and does make me chuckle.

All ghosts actually should be naked. Clothing doesn't die and become a ghost.
    I go with The Matrix's explanation (cop out): "Residual Self Image." The projections we see are some combination of how the departed conceptualized themselves, and how those seeing them conceptualized the departed.

EDIT: Also accounts for why Illusion Luke looked a bit less Gray-Bearded and Homeless-Dude than Real Luke during TLJ's climax.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 01-11-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I go with The Matrix's explanation (cop out): "Residual Self Image." The projections we see are some combination of how the departed conceptualized themselves, and how those seeing them conceptualized the departed.
    Absolutely.

Also of note, religions often invoke imagery of saints being 'clothed' in their good actions while being stripped naked is seen as evil deeds exposed.

So naturally, the Jedi Force ghosts wear their robes, which speak to the highest ideals of their religion.

But somewhere Palpatine, Dooku and Darth Maul are running around looking for a bath towel.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Absolutely.

Also of note, religions often invoke imagery of saints being 'clothed' in their good actions while being stripped naked is seen as evil deeds exposed.

So naturally, the Jedi Force ghosts wear their robes, which speak to the highest ideals of their religion.

But somewhere Palpatine, Dooku and Darth Maul are running around looking for a bath towel.
    Well not Darth Maul, since he was cut in half.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Went to see TLJ with my family last night and we mostly all concluded it was the best Star Wars since Return of the Jedi. So why do some people online hate this movie again?

It was a hundred times better than TFA. The characters were better and more well-rounded. The acting was better from everybody. I really like the way Po was so "take charge" in the movie.

The only things I didn't like was Leia siding with the pink-hair woman, the Del Toro character and Luke dying. Cause he didn't need to do that. They already established that it was an illusion that fought Kylo Ren and that Luke was on the planet. Just wait for another adventure to use proper Luke. (I'm guessing they or he didn't want to be any more movies?)

But all in all I thought it was pretty well-made. Characters was far less cartoonish. In TFA, Finn was a bumbling idiot but here there was one comedy scene and the rest he really brought it, getting things done.

BANNED

I'm going to make a prediction based on past Star Wars history.

TLJ will be vindicated in the years to come. Just like The Empire Strikes Back was.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    I'm going to make a prediction based on past Star Wars history.

TLJ will be vindicated in the years to come. Just like The Empire Strikes Back was.
    There was never a point where The Empire Strikes Back needed vindication.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Went to see TLJ with my family last night and we mostly all concluded it was the best Star Wars since Return of the Jedi. So why do some people online hate this movie again?
    Return to the beginning of the thread and work your way down. Enough reasons are in there that there's no point in re-visiting the arguments again. Glad you liked it, I did not.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    It was not initially as popular as the first film. People were expecting something a little different and were taken a bit aback by what they got at first. EMPIRE's reputation grew as time went on and especially after RETURN OF THE JEDI was released to put its story into the greater context.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Yeah, ESB was also more critically mixed in its reception. So in that regards there could be what one sees as a vindication now as over time its critical response improved as well.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    It did in 1980.

It was not initially as popular as the first film. People were expecting something a little different and were taken a bit aback by what they got at first. EMPIRE's reputation grew as time went on and especially after RETURN OF THE JEDI was released to put its story into the greater context.

I was a teenager when ESB came out and I do not recall any such reaction.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    I was a teenager when ESB came out and I do not recall any such reaction.
    Check out these links: there was a wide range of responses, and views of EMPIRE often evolved over time. Some critics who initially felt put-off by it changed their minds later:

http://www.starwars.com/news/critica...iginal-reviews

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...0-movie-752672

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHcASj8eom8

http://www.acriticalhit.com/fans-rea...kes-back-1980/

Thus, in 1980, among both fans and critics, a wide range of opinions of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. Near universal acclaim would come later, but was not immediately apparent in 1980 when the movie was newly released.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Check out these links: there was a wide range of responses, and views of EMPIRE often evolved over time. Some critics who initially felt put-off by it changed their minds later:

http://www.starwars.com/news/critica...iginal-reviews

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...0-movie-752672

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHcASj8eom8

http://www.acriticalhit.com/fans-rea...kes-back-1980/

Thus, in 1980, among both fans and critics, a wide range of opinions of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. Near universal acclaim would come later, but was not immediately apparent in 1980 when the movie was newly released.

I don't recall reading any critics back then, but I read a lot of fanzines: Starlog, Cinefantastique, a bunch of others I don't remember the titles of, and I don't remember any negative or mixed reaction among fans. I certainly don't remember any negative reactions from the kids I knew who saw it. (Well, EVERYONE saw it.)