Boisterously Confused

Default Coronavirus, College, and On-line Education

I suppose that I am mainly aiming this at The Old Farts in the crowd (who most often pay for their kids' education). But, I'm also aiming it at those view that might be in college right now, and fighting it out on your own.

How do you feel about the prospect of college education having to go online to cope with the pandemic?
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 07-09-2020 at 10:09 AM.

Obviously needed for the health of the public, but charging the same price is ridiculous. It's not the same education.

But higher education has been a racket for decades.

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Obviously needed for the health of the public, but charging the same price is ridiculous. It's not the same education.

But higher education has been a racket for decades.
    Of course it is a racket. I guess the college administrators must be very greedy. That is why the college admission scandals got out of hand and were exposed.

Boisterously Confused

Most of the cost of US college is not related to pay or education. The cost to teach a student has risen pretty steadily in sync with the cost of living. The costs have come from 3 main sources:
    • The various luxury experiences that students and their parents demand these days (including athletics)
    • The cost of professional money-raising organizations to fund those luxury experiences
    • The administrative bloat that's resulted as institutions grow larger

Now certainly, there are some other sources of cost as well. The steady decrease of public funding of education is a big one (i.e. most public US universities, even the state flagships, get 10% or less of their budgets from tax payers).

But I digress.