Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I never minded him in the WCA days, but he never really thrilled me. I actually liked Firebird a bit better. I was hoping when the call went out for ALL Avengers, maybe Stingray or Jack of Hearts would show up. Oh well. It's still good to see an old character pop up. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    I'm with you on that. I can just look at a visual and be excited for a character without them doing anything. It happened with the Avengers Academy kids promotional art, Apex and Deathlocket over at AA and various new X-characters that come out. I welcome this guy because he looks pretty cool and I like his abilities. I wanted more from him when he made his appearance in AA as Striker's bodyguard. Reading his background from that one appearance made me like him a bit more learning about his GLA infamous scene. You don't get many confident gay characters so hes a gem (I know of northstar, but hes a prick).
    Thank you.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Lighting is already a interesting character and has potential to be a major hitter for the Avengers. Yet no love or buzz at all about him on the forums. Which is interesting considering how the forums are on a regular bases in-regards to LGBT characters.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Thank you.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Lighting is already a interesting character and has potential to be a major hitter for the Avengers. Yet no love or buzz at all about him on the forums. Which is interesting considering how the forums are on a regular bases in-regards to LGBT characters.
    Yeah, I guess you can't please some people unless Captain America or Iron Man turn out to be gay.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And maybe most of us weren't reading comics when he was around in the past? He dates back to the early 90s, that's about 25 years ago.

A West Coast Avenger, yes. He goes by just Lightning now. Real world reason is that the name is more modern. In-universe, it's because people mistook for for the Living Laser, who of course is a villain!
    I think the in-universe reason is the real world reason as well. I honestly had them mixed up.

Anyway, I can't afford to read Avengers weekly and only have read the very, very early West Coast Avengers issues, so I'm unfamiliar with both his original stories and his return.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

Sorry I never really knew about this character before, but from what I have seen ok pretty cool, Elementalist usually don't get much attention except for Storm, Human Torch, and Iceman.

I remember liking him in the AWC; mostly because I was a lot younger and he was the youngest character. but I also remember him not making much of an impression. I thought that he might be a spoof on Vibe; with that ugly costume (gray and yellow?!).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember a lot of people talking about him once it was announced he'd be part of the storyline.
    Bingo. At this point its sort of "old" news. I am very excited for Miguel's return--and have been since it was announced months ago. I enjoyed his introductory scene in part 1 of "No Surrender". And now I'm waiting to see what happens with him next, when he gets a chance to do something. The storyline is just getting started, and the cast is huge.

Because this is a D-list character who was apparently last relevant when I was an infant and I had no idea even existed.

I didn't know he existed until recently and I keep confusing him with Living Laser.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

Thank you.

Are you serious?
    It's Living Lightning. He has somewhere below D-Man levels of excitement associated with his name. Just turning him gay won't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Are you serious?
    It's Living Lightning. He has somewhere below D-Man levels of excitement associated with his name. Just turning him gay won't change that.
    Also, his coming out was literally a punchline about a decade back, and, as far as I'm aware, hasn't been addressed since. Worth an "Oh, OK." on the representation front, but not something to get hot and bothered over. Zub and Ewing are two very good writers, and I'm sure they'll treat the character well, but that's something to get excited about after we've seen the execution. Coming in, Miguel just doesn't have a lot going for him.

He might as well be a new character, but with no hype before his introduction in No Surrender. They should treat him like one in the way they introduce him to the audience as most know nothing about him.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Are you serious?
    He was always gay but that is not the point. There have been a few "New" characters introduced in the last few years and fans jumped at them. Defending them at every turn when anything negative is even hinted at. I'm talking about Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl, Miles, and so on. Same thing happen when characters changed from what they really where to something else. I'm talking about Sam as Cap, Jane as Thor, Cho as Hulk, Iceman going from straight to bi/gay and so on. However, now we have a Avenger who is still relatively new , really cool powerset, a person of color and openly gay and nothing.

It's just weird. Especially, considering this forum spent the better part of 2 years arguing back an forth over , new characters vs old, racism, nostalgia, and so on. Lightning checks all the box on both sides of the ANAD debates and neither want show him any love. It's especially weird with how many straight characters get put up to bat for "coming out" this guy doesn't need to he is out.

Just don't get it. I'm excited for potential Lightning brings and I would love for him to become a big name. But if fans don't show any interest he is going back to the bottom of the toy box.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Also, his coming out was literally a punchline about a decade back, and, as far as I'm aware, hasn't been addressed since. Worth an "Oh, OK." on the representation front, but not something to get hot and bothered over. Zub and Ewing are two very good writers, and I'm sure they'll treat the character well, but that's something to get excited about after we've seen the execution. Coming in, Miguel just doesn't have a lot going for him.
    ....Eh, this wasn't much different.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 01-24-2018 at 05:41 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member

1) He's a character many aren't even aware of since he's barely been used in the last 2 decades.

2) He hasn't gotten to do anything yet.

3) Lightning as his new codename is actually WAY less cool than Living Lightning. I mean seriously. if Living Lightning is obscure...Living Laser? I literally only know about him because of a What If I read long ago. So IMO Living Lightning should've kept the name or at least changed it to something catchier.

He was always gay but that is not the point. There have been a few "New" characters introduced in the last few years and fans jumped at them. Defending them at every turn when anything negative is even hinted at. I'm talking about Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl, Miles, and so on. Same thing happen when characters changed from what they really where to something else. I'm talking about Sam as Cap, Jane as Thor, Cho as Hulk, Iceman going from straight to bi/gay and so on. However, now we have a Avenger who is still relatively new , really cool powerset, a person of color and openly gay and nothing.

It's just weird. Especially, considering this forum spent the better part of 2 years arguing back an forth over , new characters vs old, racism, nostalgia, and so on. Lightning checks all the box on both sides of the ANAD debates and neither want show him any love. It's especially weird with how many straight characters get put up to bat for "coming out" this guy doesn't need to he is out.

Just don't get it. I'm excited for potential Lightning brings and I would love for him to become a big name. But if fans don't show any interest he is going back to the bottom of the toy box.
    I feel like you're ignoring a lot of the answers people have already given here. He literally JUST showed up again 2 weeks ago, in a story that's packed with characters. Give it time, if he's even moderately involved in the story I'm sure he'll get some traction. And you can't compare the support Ms. Marvel, Miles or Moon Girl got/get because each of those characters have their own books where they're the sole focus, and which directly supports them if you buy them. Had Marvel announced a Living Lightning solo title, I'm quite positive there would be more vocal support and enthusiasm, especially since we just lost two LGBT solo books.

Also, and I don't mean this to be personal and apologize if I'm wrong in my assumption, but the timing of this thread being made soon after the other one about a new gay character is a little too coincidental. It feels to me like you made it in reaction to that, as some sort of counterpoint. But again, I'm sorry if that isn't true, it just looks that way to me.