View Poll Results: Who are the greatest Spider-Man villains of this century?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Morlun

22 34.92%
  • Shathra

4 6.35%
  • Gabriel Stacy (Gray Goblin, American Son)

1 1.59%
  • The Other

4 6.35%
  • Mister Negative and the Inner Demons

32 50.79%
  • Lily Hollister (Menace)

1 1.59%
  • Freak

1 1.59%
  • Screwball

6 9.52%
  • Overdrive and Beetle (Janice Lincoln)

12 19.05%
  • Sasha and Ana Kravinoff

3 4.76%
  • Tiberius Stone

2 3.17%
  • Massacre

3 4.76%
  • Adriana Soria (The Queen)

2 3.17%
  • Inheritors

4 6.35%
  • Someone else!

7 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Greatest 21st century Spider-Man villains

Did a similar poll over in the Batman forums a few months ago...

Who, in your opinion, are the greatest Spider-Man villains to have debuted this century thus far? I included as many characters as I could think of that applied, but feel free to name others that you found interesting! "Greatest" is subjective, so even if a recently-created villain that you liked was only around for an arc or so but you believe still has potential, feel free to vote for them! This poll is multiple-choice, too.

BANNED

Mister Negative would be my first choice.

But I have a soft spot for Ana Kravinoff. She's such a screwed up kid.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Shathra gets my vote. Sexy, scary and fun.

A runner-up would be Tracer, the sentient machine villain introduced in "The Other." He was a major threat in a goofy, almost likable package. But pretty much vanished forever after that, though.

Morlun, alas, was one of those villains you just disliked ... he was intimidating, yes, but not in a "love-to-hate this guy" kind of way. He was more of a "will Spider-Man please hurry up and find a way to kill this creep?" kind of guy.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

I think SpOck should have been considered a villain, but if not, him, Morlun, JMS' Morlun. That Coming Home arc makes him a top tier Spidey villain for me.

Morlun followed closely by Mr. Negative, imho.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    Shathra gets my vote.
    Glad to see someone give a vote for Shathra! I always thought that she was an overlooked gem during Straczynski's tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I think SpOck should have been considered a villain, but if not, him, Morlun, JMS' Morlun. That Coming Home arc makes him a top tier Spidey villain for me.
    Yea, I was about to put SpOck in, but changed my mind since he could go both ways depending on who's arguing...

BANNED

I went with Morlun the interdimensional vampire. And the only story I really liked with him in it was his first.

This list of villains kinda shows how dry the well has gotten with new bad guys being produced for Spider-man, unfortunately.

Morlun wasn't even the best villain to debut that month.

I'm going with Jenkins' Fusion.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Screwball is fun, though I don't even remember the last time she was used, and Overdrive and Beetle under Spencer were great even if they're not as prevalent as other villains in terms of actually fighting Spider-Man.

Morlun was big in JMS' run, but he was successful as a villain moreso for his sheer strength, effectiveness, and power than his actual character. And I can't say there's much about the rest of his family that makes them standout...

Tiberius is at least a good villain in that I want nothing more than to see him get punched in the face, and PAD seems to be giving his character a lot more layers so there's definitely potential with him.

Ana is cool, and I think there would've been more with making her a real prominent villain in the books instead of just reviving Kraven considering how little has been done with either since Grim Hunt.

As for Lily...let's just say I think she looks better as the White Cat then she ever did as Menace .

Out of all the villains on the list I'd say Mr. Negative's gotten the most use, appearances, and prominence compared to the rest on the list, so he'd be the closest to being the "Greatest" of the bunch in my opinion.

Out of the choices:

1. Spider-Queen - A powerful foe for Spider-Man who had her own event.
    2. Mr Negative - Great villian
    3. Freak - A regular weird villian that refreshing to see
    4. Shathra - Dark and creepy cool
    5. Massacre - A dangerous villain but now that I think of it would have a better Punisher villian.

Sasha Kravinoff has a special place in hell for what she did to Cassandra Webb and Maddie Franklin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Screwball is fun, though I don't even remember the last time she was used, and Overdrive and Beetle under Spencer were great even if they're not as prevalent as other villains in terms of actually fighting Spider-Man.

Morlun was big in JMS' run, but he was successful as a villain moreso for his sheer strength, effectiveness, and power than his actual character. And I can't say there's much about the rest of his family that makes them standout...

Tiberius is at least a good villain in that I want nothing more than to see him get punched in the face, and PAD seems to be giving his character a lot more layers so there's definitely potential with him.

Ana is cool, and I think there would've been more with making her a real prominent villain in the books instead of just reviving Kraven considering how little has been done with either since Grim Hunt.

As for Lily...let's just say I think she looks better as the White Cat then she ever did as Menace .

Out of all the villains on the list I'd say Mr. Negative's gotten the most use, appearances, and prominence compared to the rest on the list, so he'd be the closest to being the "Greatest" of the bunch in my opinion.
    Agreed on your thoughts about Morlun, Ana and Lily.

Grim Hunt was enjoyable, but I'd have been fine if Sergei had never been brought back, really. And had Ana been developed further instead.

Wasn't it Queen Cat not White Cat for Lily? Either way, I like her far better in that persona than the whole Menace thing.

I really like Shatra, wish she was used more. Same goes for Spider-Queen.

Between all of those Morlun is my favorite though!

Finding a destination in the infinite multiverse

Morlun for me, if Ezekiel Sims was in options, then him.
    Note: This person is a Peter Parker, Hank Pym, Bruce Banner, Reed Richards and James Howlett fanboy, used to be a Steve Rogers fanboy before he turned grumpy.

Shathra and Paperdoll for me. Shatra I think made more sense as a predator over Morlun given how like Scorpion she's based on Spider-Wasp the hunters of spiders. Plus it would have added a much needed female antagonist to Spidey's rogues. As to Paperdoll I liked her mainly for the way Marcos Martin designed her aesthetically and her powers I hope to see her written by someone other than Slott.