Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    The current deal has Disney paying Sony for every Spider-Man movie they make actually, to the order of a maximum of $35 MM iirc. This is to compensate them for the additional promotion value that the movies bring to the merchandising which Disney owns. The success of the MCU films is supposed to offset this fee. Sony isn’t paying Disney anything otherwise.
    Not quite. The money does not change hands for good reasons. You are reading the wrong sources.

There was one payment made as a sweetener which was the cost of the movie but importantly it is not Disney paying for the movie for legal reasons. This was theoretically repaid in a bonus. Both of those are one off payments. The continuing deal does not invoke money changing hands because the value of the marketing matches the value of the production input. That is deliberate. These two studios are cooperating but legally they are not forcing anything on each other. They are neither legally or contractually bound.

Most importantly Sony never sold back the merchandise rights. They are too valuable. Instead the arrangement lends them to Disney on a per movie basis.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-09-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Not quite. The money does not change hands for good reasons. You are reading the wrong sources.

There was one payment made as a sweetener which was the cost of the movie but importantly it is not Disney paying for the movie for legal reasons. This was theoretically repaid in a bonus. Both of those are one off payments. The continuing deal does not invoke money changing hands because the value of the marketing matches the value of the production input. That is deliberate. These two studios are cooperating but legally they are not forcing anything on each other. They are neither legally or contractually bound.

Most importantly Sony never sold back the merchandise rights. They are too valuable. Instead the arrangement lends them to Disney on a per movie basis.
    Sony sold the TV and Merchandising rights back to Marvel/Disney

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/02...-were-short-s/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Like I said. Storm in a teacup. This is fan expanded nonsense.
    Τhe look on his face was definitely NOT fan expanded nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Τhe look on his face was definitely NOT fan expanded nonsense.
    I think he was nervous that she was trying to claim the non-MCU Spider-films were somehow related to the MCU (though she didn't exactly do that but didn't deny the connection either). Otherwise it's just fan exaggeration.

Also, after the success of Venom and Spider-Verse, I don't think Feige will have too much of a problem with the MCU being associated with Pascal's Spider-Movie Universe.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 01-12-2019 at 12:29 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I think he was nervous that she was trying to claim the non-MCU Spider-films were somehow related to the MCU (though she didn't exactly do that but didn't deny the connection either). Otherwise it's just fan exaggeration.

Also, after the success of Venom and Spider-Verse, I don't think Feige will have too much of a problem with the MCU being associated with Pascal's Spider-Movie Universe.
    Sorry but i tend to believe otherwise. Until Feige himself steps out and put things up, i am locked to my previous assuption.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Sorry but i tend to believe otherwise. Until Feige himself steps out and put things up, i am locked to my previous assuption.
    I read the Sony Hacks and I don't have a high opinion of Amy Pascal and leave it at that.

Probably Spider-Verse moreso then Venom (although who knows, maybe Feige liked Venom ).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Probably Spider-Verse moreso then Venom (although who knows, maybe Feige liked Venom ).
    Venom did outearn 3/4ths of all MCU films And Spider-Verse earned a Golden Globe before any MCU film did. Not bad for a fledgling universe that "no one" wanted.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 01-13-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Venom did outearn 2/3rds of all MCU films And Spider-Verse earned a Golden Globe before any MCU film did. Not bad for a fledgling universe that "no one" wanted.
    I still don't, but it is what it is .

Venom did outearn 2/3rds of all MCU films And Spider-Verse earned a Golden Globe before any MCU film did. Not bad for a fledgling universe that "no one" wanted.
    Eh, still cynical about all the non-Venom properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still don't, but it is what it is .
    IMO the general consensus is Spiderverse is a good movie Venom is entertaining schlock and I'm not knocking entertaining schlock I love entertaining schlock heck there's nothing better than watching an 80's Slasher movie or a Cannon Film IMO.

So while I think Marvel Studios won't mind any brand confusion with Spiderverse especially since its animation and clearly not the MCU I don't think Feige will ever want any confusion between the live action Sony Spider films as being part of the MCU so he'll always want it clear they are separate and their own thing.

RIGHTS: SPE has the exclusive right to utilize the “Spider-Man” character and the other
    Creative Elements listed in Paragraph 1 above to (a) develop and produce live action or
    animated theatrical motion pictures (each, a “Picture”) and live-action television series
    (and also animated television series with episodes longer than 44 minutes), during the
    Production Term, and (b) distribute, advertise and otherwise exploit in perpetuity any
    motion picture or television series that commenced production during the Production
    Term.
    Directly from the Sony leaked documents. I guess that resolves the mystery about how can Sony do animated shows.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Directly from the Sony leaked documents. I guess that resolves the mystery about how can Sony do animated shows.
    Hour long animated series which is basically 2-Part episodes back-to-back released in one package.

This means that Sony could do stuff like what DC/WB have been doing with their animated adaptations of famous stories made for home video and so on, right?

It also explains why Gwen/Ghost Spider wasn't in the Marvel Rising animated movie.

Spectacular DTV's when ?

BANNED

This agreement was dated back in 2011...so the Sony Hacks where 4 years later and things change since then, right ?