Page 117 of 231 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127167217 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 3451

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    why create so many characters if you are going to kill so many of them too? and was killing them always a part of the plan?
    Yost and Kyle didnt create those characters they killed

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Trouble makers (I mean, if one were to identify our beloved Hellions as such) tend to be more entertaining. I loved seeing the two teams interact and play off one another, so their co-mingling was, imho, a very welcome and exciting dynamic shift.
    Julian and Santo were really the only Troublemakers. Santo is a big dumb lovable idiot and julian was at the time a glory hound, but Cess was pretty down to earth, Sooraya was the moral center and Kevin was their token angst kid
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

I think Icarus was kind of stagnant as a character. Other than his relationship with Sooraya there just wasn't much going on with him. He wasn't powerful like the rest of his team mates or the Hellions, and he didn't seem to have any real goals. He didn't have much of a future in regular cape comics.
    Which is fine, not every character needs to become an X-man, and as the third most famous Guthrie he could have shown up sporadically in stories with Sam or Paige with or without his powers.
    It's unfortunate that Jay was used as a sacrificial lamb to facilitate the Bus and Purifier stories but I enjoyed those stories so I've accepted it.

But what really sucks is that Sam and Paige's grief over losing a brother was completely glossed over. They both just went back to teaching at the school after Schism. Paige had a mental breakdown because of some ill defined secondary mutation. Sam got married, had a kid and moved off of the planet. Losing Jay should have been referenced at some point, just talking about him could have really helped illustrate why and how they made some of those choices.

I don't think either of them were even there in Phoenix Resurrection when the X-men fought that blonde Icarus.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Yost and Kyle didnt create those characters they killed
    To be fair I think they created Hydro. And about 30~ of the unnamed people on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    To be fair I think they created Hydro. And about 30~ of the unnamed people on the bus.
    come on those were all insignficant. I was referring to the major and minor characters placed on the various squads in Academy X. I had to look up Hydro as I didnt even remember who that was. He was mentioned in Academy X. Yost/Kyle didnt really create him but thats a technicality

Astonishing Member

it's weird how the AoA Guthrie sister (iirc her name was Amazon) never had her mutation appear, while we had Icarus and Aero.
    She could change her size, which is a pretty boring power, and we already have a character like that in limbo, Micromax.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    come on those were all insignficant. I was referring to the major and minor characters placed on the various squads in Academy X. I had to look up Hydro as I didnt even remember who that was. He was mentioned in Academy X. Yost/Kyle didnt really create him but thats a technicality
    Most of the named squad kids killed on the bus were insignificant. Am I supposed to mourn DJ, Rubbermaid and Preview?

Most of the named squad kids killed on the bus were insignificant. Am I supposed to mourn DJ, Rubbermaid and Preview?
    No nor was I suggesting that in my post

I mourn DJ
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    I mourn DJ
    I mourn DJ as well.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

I can’t remember what issue, but I’m almost certain we saw Sam And Paige mourn Jay. Anyone else recall what I may be talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by darkblue View Post
    I can’t remember what issue, but I’m almost certain we saw Sam And Paige mourn Jay. Anyone else recall what I may be talking about?
    Ma Guthrie, Sam, and Paige were there for the student funerals, weren't they? And I remember that Christos Gage wrote them as mentioning Jay's death when they were trying to decide what to do about the student memorials much later in X-Men Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Ma Guthrie, Sam, and Paige were there for the student funerals, weren't they? And I remember that Christos Gage wrote them as mentioning Jay's death when they were trying to decide what to do about the student memorials much later in X-Men Legacy.
    I'm talking about other than the funeral. And I guess mentioning him once in passing and never again for the rest of that run counts. If barely.

I guess you should only mention your dead sibling once every 10 years.

https://twitter.com/kristaferanka/st...34348932759552
    Kris Anka's top 5 mutants include: Magneto, Emma Frost, Namor, Surge, and Nightcrawler......
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    The bus, the impact it had, and the raised stakes of Decimation are part of what made NXM a compelling run. I wouldn’t remove those aspects.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Phenom2893 View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/38593-cabl...bloodbath.html
    Some X-Kids are going to show up in OML.
    OOP. still waiting on that OML/Armor one-in-done teamup issue.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    Nice!! The X-Girls hitting the mall is my fav concept. It's reminiscent of when Ororo, Betsy, Ali & Rogue hit the mall and rescued Jubilee. Maybe they could find a new mutant and help her out?
    Hopefully one that doesn't get shot in the head in her very next appearance. And, yes, I'm still bitter over Belen dying.....

Same goes for a number of mutants. It's one of the things I liked about Utopia and X-Haven, as at least we knew they were around. Now mutants are scattered again, and many of them unaccounted for.
    We STILL haven't seen Loa post-Secret Wars and I'm SO scared that some writer is gonna take this chance to use her as cannon fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    What other plans did they have in mind had they been kept on Academy X? I wonder what plans Yost and Kyle had it not been cancelled.
    -I'm pretty sure Anole was originally supposed to be bullied for his sexuality whereas he'd eventually kill himself. And Hellion wold make a grandiose speech calling out everyone on their hypocrisy for how they treat certain sectors of diversity. I'm not sure what else, but we could speculate for Kyle and Yost (actually IDK if this counts but they wanted to kill off Gentle but couldn't):

-A reconciliation issue between Nori and David
    -Bringing the "B-team" up to prominence
    -Dust finally finding her mother

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post

-I'm pretty sure Anole was originally supposed to be bullied for his sexuality whereas he'd eventually kill himself. And Hellion wold make a grandiose speech calling out everyone on their hypocrisy for how they treat certain sectors of diversity. I'm not sure what else, but we could speculate for Kyle and Yost (actually IDK if this counts but they wanted to kill off Gentle but couldn't):

-Dust finally finding her mother
    Right if only Nori and David reconciled then he could have been saved from being trapped in the mediocre book America Chavez. I would have killed to see Dust find her family. Who are the B-Team? And killing off Gentle really even though he had no role I kind of liked him for being one of the few level headed members. Not to mention I would love to have seen Laura and Julian's relationship develop instead of it get interrupted by cancellations and big events which came about thanks to the incompetent Joe Quesada who thought going back to great story telling meant doubling down on the event gimmick.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-14-2018 at 12:25 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

https://twitter.com/kristaferanka/st...34348932759552
    Kris Anka's top 5 mutants include: Magneto, Emma Frost, Namor, Surge, and Nightcrawler......
    Minus Namor, who I'm not overly fond of, that's a great selection. I'd LOVE Anka to do some NXM stuff. His conceptual work is brilliant, and fashion design/awareness really helps capture the essence of the character.

Hopefully, one that doesn't get shot in the head in her very next appearance. And, yes, I'm still bitter over Belen dying.....
    Well, you have a point. Can't say I'm all that surprised given Guggenheim wrote it. He can't do anything right when it comes to the X-Men. Seriously though, that story practically writes itself. Just a matter of creating a new mutant for the school- perhaps a hydrokinetic?

We STILL haven't seen Loa post-Secret Wars and I'm SO scared that some writer is gonna take this chance to use her as cannon fodder.
    I share that same fear. She's not at the school. She wasn't on New Tian. She's not in X-Men Red, Blue or Gold. Where in the hell is she? Same goes for Hollow/Penance. Neither of them has been seen since the days of Avengers Academy; I'm waiting for an X-writer to call them home.

-I'm pretty sure Anole was originally supposed to be bullied for his sexuality whereas he'd eventually kill himself. And Hellion would make a grandiose speech calling out everyone on their hypocrisy for how they treat certain sectors of diversity. I'm not sure what else, but we could speculate for Kyle and Yost (actually IDK if this counts but they wanted to kill off Gentle but couldn't):

-Oy vey. That would have been dark as hell, I'd have hated to see Anole lose his life that way. How tragic. In relation to that, I do find it interesting that for non-heterosexual mutants, it's double the discrimination. Kinda sucks for Anole and Graymalkin huh.
    Hellion has been snubbed ever since NXM ended, I waited and waited for him to join a cause that'd explore his righteousness and the time never came. Magneto or Exodus should've swept him up and taken him in when they had the chance. I remember him being so angry for a time, and probably very susceptible to manipulation.
    - I imagine the number of dead mutants would increase drastically had Kyle & Yost stayed- Gentle, Match, Glob, Ernst & No-Girl might never have survived.
    -Surge/Prodigy was lackluster in my opinion, but closure would have been nice. I'm not sure who I'd ship 'em with now. Maybe speedsters Surge & Velocidad together, and Prodigy with Anole (he kissed Hulkling over in YA, so he can't mind the green)
    -And how I wish the B-Team (I assume you mean Loa, Trance, Match, Quill, Wolf Cub etc.) had been further developed. At least the primary NXM can boast of having stories to their name. This bunch got used like once each beyond being wallpaper.