Default The Whizzer: Master of Speed (Golden Age version) Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This thread is to serve as continuation of the previous The Whizzer: Master of Speed (Golden Age version) Appreciation thread, which can be found at
    from the previous version (originally created 12-06-2018):
    First appearance: USA Comics #1 (August 1941), with an origin that's a tad . . . well, you be the judge!

When Robert Frank's origin was briefly retold in Marvel Premiere #29 (April 1976), it was hard for even a guy like Roy Thomas not to say anything about the character's name.

But, despite that less-than-auspicious origin and name, The Whizzer did manage to stay around among Timely Comics' superheroes, becoming a member of the All-Winners Squad (who appeared in All-Winners Comics, naturally!) along with Captain America & Bucky, Namor the Sub-Mariner, The Human Torch & Toro, plus Miss America in 1946.

Yay, Whizzer!

I always did like that origin story.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yay, Whizzer!

I always did like that origin story.
    With an origin like his, he should have had team-up with DC's Beast Boy/Changling (Garfield Logan).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    With an origin like his, he should have had team-up with DC's Beast Boy/Changling (Garfield Logan).
    Yes.

And you know the 1930'-50's were full of ideas even outside of comics with things like this idea. So glad Whizzer was involved.

I think Marvel later retconned the original idea of mongoose blood, having it activate Bob's latent mutant genes of super speed.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I remember when they brought him into the Silver Age and made him and Miss America Wanda and Pietro's parents. SO AWESOME.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I remember when they brought him into the Silver Age and made him and Miss America Wanda and Pietro's parents. SO AWESOME.
    Yes, I really loved that! To me, they should have remained that way.

But that concept didn't last very long . . .

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But that concept didn't last very long . . .
    I know. But I remember reading it as kid and thinking it was great. Maybe it was the Whizzer and Pietro both being speedsters.

Of course, I'm a big fan of them being Magneto's kids now.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I know. But I remember reading it as kid and thinking it was great. Maybe it was the Whizzer and Pietro both being speedsters.

Of course, I'm a big fan of them being Magneto's kids now.
    And Madeline and Wanda looking so much like each other, even being close in height and weight.

from All-Winners Comics #2 (Fall 1941):

BANNED

"Socko" is a great sound effect to read from a page LOL!

BANNED

Giant-Size Avengers #1 Aug 1974
    "Nuklo: The Invader That Time Forgot!" Guest-starring the Golden Age Whizzer.
    The Whizzer aka Robert Frank invades Avengers Mansion looking for the Chrono-Module.

After a brief battle with the Avengers, the Whizzer begins to explain his motives; but suddenly the module breaks open...and Nuklo emerges!
    The Avengers battle Nuklo throughout New York City; and the Scarlet Witch makes the team's final stand against the runaway nuclear child!
    During the story Robert Frank reveals that Nuklo is his son,

and Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch are apparently his children as well!

Story by Roy Thomas. Art by Rich Buckler and Dan Adkins.