Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's not going to be worth it. Why would anyone pay £8 for a copy of Detective Comics in the shop when you can get it digitally for £3? If Panini were to expand their Collectors Editions line (which currently comprises six Marvel titles and one DC one), they'd be undercutting the US releases too, at £4.50 for a mag that reprints two comics (so equivalent to £2.25 per issue).
    Because digital has been a complete failure for comics. Customers arent interested. For most of the market the choice is physical book or no book.

Easy choice for me - no book. If they arent supplying books in the uk then my custom isnt needed or wanted so i will take it to another publisher.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I've been lurking but don't really get it but this I get. Thank you.
    Welcome. I was talking to a shop owner and this was kinda what they were saying. The shop mostly gets people ordering DC books, but with everything diamond offers a discount. However, if they cut 60% to switch over to a new shipper, and pay them shipping, they loose the discount from Diamond and they have to pay more on both sides. Again, I'm not an owner, so I may be mixing things up. But that's what I believe the owner was say.
    PLEASE READ CLOAK & DAGGER IN SAVAGE AVENGERS!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. Marvel: Savage Avengers, She Hulk. Dynamite: Vampirella.
    Support Indie Comics: Coffin Comics, Lion Forge, and so much more!!!
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Welcome. I was talking to a shop owner and this was kinda what they were saying. The shop mostly gets people ordering DC books, but with everything diamond offers a discount. However, if they cut 60% to switch over to a new shipper, and pay them shipping, they loose the discount from Diamond and they have to pay more on both sides. Again, I'm not an owner, so I may be mixing things up. But that's what I believe the owner was say.
    Thats a very good point.

Incredible Member

At this point, I feel like DC is telling me, directly to my face, that they don't want me as their customer.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Because digital has been a complete failure for comics. Customers arent interested. For most of the market the choice is physical book or no book.

Easy choice for me - no book. If they arent supplying books in the uk then my custom isnt needed or wanted so i will take it to another publisher.
    Is that really true? The British market isn't the same as the American one. Anthologies are known to be poor sellers in the US. Not so in the UK, where Beano and 2000AD remain popular (Beano, in fact, sells about 40k a week, which is more than most US comics sell per issue despite America being a larger country!). So why should you assume digital sales are low in the UK like they apparently are in the US?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    At this point, I feel like DC is telling me, directly to my face, that they don't want me as their customer.
    Kind of a weird perspective honestly. Seeing as this all started with DC wanting to get new comics in the hands of customers.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-06-2020 at 05:28 AM.

BANNED

Is that really true? The British market isn't the same as the American one. Anthologies are known to be poor sellers in the US. Not so in the UK, where Beano and 2000AD remain popular (Beano, in fact, sells about 40k a week, which is more than most US comics sell per issue despite America being a larger country!). So why should you assume digital sales are low in the UK like they apparently are in the US?
    I think it is a really limited look at things. Digital comics have been very successful for many people, like Reina Telgameier, Zach Weinersmith, Jeremy Holkins, the guy behind One Punch Man, plenty of people on Webtoon, and many, many others. Granted, I guess one can say it's not a completely apples to apples comparison with Marvel and DC, which are their own...kind of thing, in some respects, but enough people have gotten wealthy doing digital comics to label them a failure, and I'm getting a feeling DC specifically wants to get in on some of that type of market, hence the YA books they put out, which are somewhat benefiting from the success of Raina Telgameier's webcomic. Digital comics can and do work. They just haven't worked all that great for DC and Marvel. I believe it would behoove those companies to figure out why that is, instead of just throwing their hands up in the air and saying "they don't work." Because that's actually not true.

So who does manga books? They were still coming out even when diamond was shut down? Are they all coming out by the same group?

Found a video from shop owners that looks at both sides. The diamond as mcdonalds was a great way to put it. It looks at both sides of things.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Kind of a weird perspective honestly. Seeing as this all started with DC wanting to get new comics in the hands of customers.
    It might have started that way, and in fact, it might be the case for US-based customers.

But for international customers (such as myself), neither of the two new distributors seem to have the proper logistic hub that will allow me to get comics at an affordable price, while supporting my LCS.

Using their proposed system is incredibly expensive, and it also takes quite some time. I know because I still get some of my comics through certain US-based comic book stores (more often than now, back issues).

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    DC does want you as a customer. That's why they're trying a new distribution model rather than dropping monthlies altogether. However, I understand that for non-US readers, there are still further obstacles that DC needs to address.

It takes a lot of work to set this new system up, and so I have to believe that DC is committed to keeping monthlies as a viable option in spite of how they don't bring all that much money into the company.

If the rumors are true about Pam Lifford not being in love with the monthlies, I can see her point. We live in a world where Captain Underpants graphic novels have sold 80 million books worldwide -- based on just 12 books in the series published. Why the hell aren't Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and the rest selling that? Even a tenth of that would be spectacular for any comics company.

Given that nothing DC or Marvel has tried over the last several decades has resulted in a massive influx of new readers into comic shops -- not even Free Comic Book Day where they're giving the stuff away, it makes sense for her to explore other options in getting the very recognizable DC characters in front of the public.

Rather than trying to get new readers into comic shops, Lifford may just be thinking, "Hey, let's try it the other way. If we can't get readers into comic shops, let's get comics into the places where readers already are going -- namely bookstores -- and with lots of new material not just trade reprints." If that's her thought process, that's not stupid at all.

But the fact that DC has taken the time to set up three new distributors for the comic shop market does indicate that they aren't going to abandon it. I understand the fears and frustrations of the comic shop owners, but DC is a publishing company, and to stay in business and thrive not just barely make it by the skin of their teeth, they have to make decisions that they feel will help themselves.

Really, this has been a long time coming. DC and Marvel have to get their characters out of the comic shop ghetto and in front of the general public. It's crazy that characters that star in billion dollar movies aren't more widely read.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I think it is a really limited look at things. Digital comics have been very successful for many people, like Reina Telgameier, Zach Weinersmith, Jeremy Holkins, the guy behind One Punch Man, plenty of people on Webtoon, and many, many others. Granted, I guess one can say it's not a completely apples to apples comparison with Marvel and DC, which are their own...kind of thing, in some respects, but enough people have gotten wealthy doing digital comics to label them a failure, and I'm getting a feeling DC specifically wants to get in on some of that type of market, hence the YA books they put out, which are somewhat benefiting from the success of Raina Telgameier's webcomic. Digital comics can and do work. They just haven't worked all that great for DC and Marvel. I believe it would behoove those companies to figure out why that is, instead of just throwing their hands up in the air and saying "they don't work." Because that's actually not true.
    I am pulling this from my ass, I know, because I have zero interest in digital comics AND I have no idea who those authors you mentioned are, BUT I think the digital market is far more suitable (I define suitable here as the possibility to make a profit) for independent artist/writers, than for comic companies, because there are fewer people involved in the distribution of the earnings.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    DC does want you as a customer. That's why they're trying a new distribution model rather than dropping monthlies altogether. However, I understand that for non-US readers, there are still further obstacles that DC needs to address.

It takes a lot of work to set this new system up, and so I have to believe that DC is committed to keeping monthlies as a viable option in spite of how they don't bring all that much money into the company.

If the rumors are true about Pam Lifford not being in love with the monthlies, I can see her point. We live in a world where Captain Underpants graphic novels have sold 80 million books worldwide -- based on just 12 books in the series published. Why the hell aren't Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and the rest selling that? Even a tenth of that would be spectacular for any comics company.

Given that nothing DC or Marvel has tried over the last several decades has resulted in a massive influx of new readers into comic shops -- not even Free Comic Book Day where they're giving the stuff away, it makes sense for her to explore other options in getting the very recognizable DC characters in front of the public.

Rather than trying to get new readers into comic shops, Lifford may just be thinking, "Hey, let's try it the other way. If we can't get readers into comic shops, let's get comics into the places where readers already are going -- namely bookstores -- and with lots of new material not just trade reprints." If that's her thought process, that's not stupid at all.

But the fact that DC has taken the time to set up three new distributors for the comic shop market does indicate that they aren't going to abandon it. I understand the fears and frustrations of the comic shop owners, but DC is a publishing company, and to stay in business and thrive not just barely make it by the skin of their teeth, they have to make decisions that they feel will help themselves.

Really, this has been a long time coming. DC and Marvel have to get their characters out of the comic shop ghetto and in front of the general public. It's crazy that characters that star in billion dollar movies aren't more widely read.
    Don't get me wrong. I am ALL for a change in distribution methods IF well-planned AND resulting in a WIN (i.e. more readers, more products, etc). In fact, most of the bookstores in my city carry a healthy dose of independent trades.

But this move by DC doesn't look like that (yet).

Incredible Member

2000ad only sells 20k a week. That and Viz will account for 90% of all british newstand comic sales excluding pre teens. Its a pretty sorry state of affairs.

Beyond that its nobrow and beyond that your straight into small press and self published for everything not an ogn or newspaper collection.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    So who does manga books? They were still coming out even when diamond was shut down? Are they all coming out by the same group?

Found a video from shop owners that looks at both sides. The diamond as mcdonalds was a great way to put it. It looks at both sides of things.

Manga has mutiple distributers in the US theirs 3 or 4 viz is the big one and the use the same printers and normal books and novels. In japan on the other hand , because shueisha the people who own jump is the the comics division of the monstress Hitotsubashi Group, it's any printer and distributor they want

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    You are right - thats not to disparage digital comics, the freativity there, or the people whove had big success there.

But in the case of music in 25 years the industry went from 100% physical to 80% digital. However, the mainstays of the comic shop (dc, marvel, darkhorse, image, idw etc) have seen that their readers dont want to switch. A lot of readers view them as art books - and art books whether it be of paintings, photograhy, drawings, architecture are still most popular as printed books.

Youve even seen a big boom in physical photography books over last 10 years and a boom in kids into physical music - more record shops opening, pressing plants at max capacity, re-release of technics 1210s etc.

So rather than seeing comic book customers as stuck in the past or resistant to change, you are actually seeing customers in other media slowly following comic readers tastes and going back to physical media.