Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Would you care if Superman was portrayed by a person of color?

Like it says. If Superman was portrayed in film or TV as a black, Hispanic, or even Asian actor, would you like it, dislike it, or even care?

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

I just wouldn't mind because I already got my Superman with MoS and BvS. Having POC play Superman won't take that away, but will give other people their own favorite version of Superman to love and get inspired by.

BANNED

Not fussed. A black Spider-Man recently proved award-winning and pure box office.

Kon93

You know you can have "your superman" and him look nothing like you,it has happened before.

Miles is not peter,peter is still Peter as always,its not the same thing.

I would be against any adaptation that tries to change him,he has been around much longer than we have and will be around a lot long than any of us will.

Clark Kent/kal-el=NO
    Different character that has the superhero name superman=YES

Master Hero Vladimir

I will accept a person of color as Superman if he doesn't play Clark Kent/Kal-El. I mean, Clark Kent? Kal-El? Those have to be some of the whitest names in comic book history, alongside Peter Parker or Bruce Wayne. Maybe they can play Calvin Ellis, Val-Zod or Kenan Kong. I want my Clark Kent to be white. Don't fix what isn't broken.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

When you say Asian. What do you mean exactly? The race or people of that continent. I mean,this guy is also asian

I am not advocating for a casting.
    I don't want Clark to be race bended. He is perfect as he is. Maybe an elseworld like val-zod

It could be weird at first because in my head there is a preconceived image of what the physical aspect of Kal-el / Superman / Clark should look like, I mean it's an image that has been with us for 80 years. But with time I could get used to the change. Anyway, I think it's better to create new and iconic characters that can represent the minorities that for years have been prohibited from playing a leading role in the different forms of entertainment.

I'm a POC and don't support that idea. I'm uncomfortable with saying I hate whitewashing (and I do; the guys who think White Goku and White Kyo Kusanagi were smart ideas can do that thing Derrick Rose recently suggested**), but then saying it's perfectly okay to change to make him some other race than what we're accustomed to seeing. I understand the need for representation, but the better way to do it is by adding new characters and making the credible and likable. You can have your Peter Parker and Miles Morales.

**Neither Derrick Rose nor I are being literal, just conveying that the topics of discussion are beyond stupid and somewhat offensive.

Kon93

Ok we ALL spend all day and night on here talking about make believe characters,SO that means we take them pretty serious.now that I got that out of the way,how would you like it if someone changed you?superman has been a "real" person for over 80 years now,would you like it if someone told you,you had to change?

If you dont look like the character,then you shouldn't play the character,the character should not have to change for the actor,who the hell does the actor think he is anyway.

Clark Kent is Clark kent,nothing wrong with that,if you want to change him personally,make his ship land in another country,it would still he him,just not living the same life of events.

Bendis is bringing val zod into the main DCU somehow,atleast that's what has been hinted at,so we could very easily get our superman that isnt Clark kent.

Btw you can have a minority in a certain country,and not in the world altogether,so I wish ppl who be more specific about this,cause in some countries white ppl are the minority,it depends on where you are talking about,but we are a community that is world wide now,so talking like this is silly anyway

I''d enjoy the Miles Morales route, different incarnations of color, like Calvin Ellis. Kal-El himself though I prefer in the look he's had for 80 years.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Kinda torn, to be honest.

One the one hand, I have a very strong image of these characters - and what they look like is a big part of that. So my initial reaction is "no" - one of the reasons being that it threatens to take attention away (imo) from characters like John Henry Irons/etc who's limited amount of screen time is criminal.

That said, I was initially reluctant on Laurence Fishburne as Perry, but seeing the movie he was awesome (which I knew he'd be beforehand) and my over-technical, nit-picky fan brain didn't raise a peep, lol. Ditto with Lana & Pete from Smallville, etc.

And I also enjoy Jonathan Belle's Superman cosplay very much - his love of Superman and Superman's optimism just jumps from him. Inspirational, beautiful stuff. He fits the suit well.

So, all of that is to say.....

It's complicated, and depends on the execution. Or maybe the better description is that I'm against the idea in principle, but not so much in practice?
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Kon93

Perry white isnt superman lol,he is a bit player on superman's stage,nobody cares if he was played by anybody or anything,so no that is not a good creditable equal comparison at all.

Cosplay is awesome,but its what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    Perry white isnt superman lol,he is a bit player on superman's stage,nobody cares if he was played by anybody or anything,so no that is not a good creditable equal comparison at all.

Cosplay is awesome,but its what it is.
    Also, I don't feel like there's a universal standard for what Perry looks like. I mean, he's usually older (50's plus), and usually white, but what else is there that you can add as a definitive descriptor?

Now that I think of it, of the DP staff, I feel like Jimmy is the only one in my head with major distinctions: young, redhead, maybe freckly. Lois is generally a brunette, but what's the "distinct" Lois look? The only one that readily pops in my head is STAS with all the purple, and black hair.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Jason Momoa has a varied background, but Tom and young Arthur clearly weren't white. Nick Fury was undeniably black, and before someone mentions Ultimate I'd have to point out that we weren't dealing with am adaptation of Ultimate Marvel so that doesn't really change things. Neither of those characters will get as many chances as Superman, but it's accepted that they cam be different?

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm a POC and don't support that idea. I'm uncomfortable with saying I hate whitewashing (and I do; the guys who think White Goku and White Kyo Kusanagi were smart ideas can do that thing Derrick Rose recently suggested**), but then saying it's perfectly okay to change to make him some other race than what we're accustomed to seeing. I understand the need for representation, but the better way to do it is by adding new characters and making the credible and likable. You can have your Peter Parker and Miles Morales.

**Neither Derrick Rose nor I are being literal, just conveying that the topics of discussion are beyond stupid and somewhat offensive.
    The cases vary.

Kyo is Japanese by name, and the fact that the Kusanagi bloodline explicitly dominates his story makes for an exceptional case where you cannot cast someone else without a major problem. But Goku isn't Japanese. Maybe he should be Chinese instead anyway, but he's not Asian. His planet doesn't have an Asia, it has blue hair and talking dogs. Hey I'd probably cast a Brazilian guy with good capoeira.

Superman isn't actually white, but he was adopted by two white people who passed him off as a son. You could make his parents black, but then you're clearly getting away from the idea that casting a black lead was about something other than a race swap. After eight films I don't think the proper response should resemble a gamble for its own sake. I think the opportunity is better spent actually trying someone new like Calvin Ellis or Hernan. Or Kenan, who was actually the star of a very good comic series that could likely kill in an adaptation.

But you know, I kind of hate using terms like gamble. It bugs me how bugged people get. "You can't be Superman, you're black!" That's really what I feel like I'm being told. I mean he's a work of fiction, chill out.

And Eddie Murphy would have been a good late 80s Superman anyway, fight me lol