Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

So I wasn't a huge fan of the first issue but I really enjoyed this one. Bringing Evil Star back was a great nod to Hal's past villains and was really fun to read. I loved the picture of Oa. I have no problem with it being depicted as a Metropolitian city because I'm sure there is a need for everything that SiegePerilous02 pointed out plus, I would assume that there are probably ambassadors from the various sectors who come to visit to discuss how things are done in their home sectors. I think that would be good to explore and show how the Guardians aren't just making up their own laws and enforcing them. The idea of the Green Lanterns as space cops has been around for almost a decade and a half now, it's time to just accept that's what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Cell blocks for prisoners, training areas, mess halls, record halls (which span the entire cosmos) and I imagine part-time living accommodations for the Corps officers must be part of the make up of the above image.
    Still, y'know, that's not really enough for a big ol' megacity. I mean, megacities are what you get when you have tens of millions of permanent residents, and all the infrastructure required for them. Really, even with all their attendant space-prisons, computers, power batteries, and various other giant mysterious sci-fi machines, the civilized footprint of Oa shouldn't be much bigger than a good-sized university.

Astonishing Member

Could it be that since Maltus is so overcrowded that some Maltusians migrated to OA?

Minor Spoilers for "The Green Lantern" #3
    -- So nice to see Tom again!
    -- Grayven was an interesting surprise. He's being mentioned on that "overlooked cosmic villain" thread.
    -- I guess we know what that "Hal would never do that" cliffhanger ending was now. I am sure there's more to it than what it seems on the surface.
    -- I loved seeing Hal leading a squad of alien GLs again. Classic. Seems like ages since we've really seen that with all the emphasis on the earth GLs in the last volume.
    -- This continues in the Morrison vein of "weird and wacky stuff." I wouldn't want GL to be like this forever, but for a few years of stories, I can see it ending up being one of the classic runs that adds dimension to Hal and informs what he's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Minor Spoilers for "The Green Lantern" #3
    -- So nice to see Tom again!
    -- Grayven was an interesting surprise. He's being mentioned on that "overlooked cosmic villain" thread.
    -- I guess we know what that "Hal would never do that" cliffhanger ending was now. I am sure there's more to it than what it seems on the surface.
    -- I loved seeing Hal leading a squad of alien GLs again. Classic. Seems like ages since we've really seen that with all the emphasis on the earth GLs in the last volume.
    -- This continues in the Morrison vein of "weird and wacky stuff." I wouldn't want GL to be like this forever, but for a few years of stories, I can see it ending up being one of the classic runs that adds dimension to Hal and informs what he's all about.

I'm guessing the last few pages was the "Hal would never do that!" moment Morrison has been hinting at.

Was anyone else getting a kind of Ferengi vibe from the Kanjar-Ro guy? (I forgot this one's name) The total lack of empathy and value system of commerce above all else was striking that familiar chord. Looks like Hal is now a "space cop on the edge" though - He does look pissed. We're so used to seeing him tackle everything with a more devil-may-care attitude but I expect him to shout "I AM THE LAW!" next issue the way this is going...

I have a hard time believing that was him to be honest. My theory is it's the anti-matter Hal that we saw in the end of the first issue.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I have a hard time believing that was him to be honest. My theory is it's the anti-matter Hal that we saw in the end of the first issue.
    I've seen this theory in other places too but that does raise the question as to when Hal was swapped with anti-matter Hal.

I'm going to imagine this has to do with the whole "There's a traitor in the GLC" plotline. Hal has "gone rogue" under false pretenses before.

Not for nothing, but I hope we get to see Sharp's take on Kilowog and Salaak soon!

BTW, does anyone know what the "Opti-humans of the Fifth World" are?? Did Morrison just make that up here or is that from something else?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-09-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Yep, I'm out. This is not working for me anymore. If I want to read a cop story, there are plenty of places to get that.

This is like taking a cosmic level guy like Superman and having him decide it would be better for him to go make donuts for a living instead of, you know, doing what he is capable of doing.

At some point, I also expect a space donut shop to appear.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-09-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yep, I'm out. This is not working for me anymore. If I want to read a cop story, there are plenty of places to get that.

This is like taking a cosmic level guy like Superman and having him decide it would be better for him to go make donuts for a living instead of, you know, doing what he is capable of doing.

At some point, I also expect a space donut shop to appear.
    Except being a cop is what Hal has always been, just a cosmic-level one.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Except being a cop is what Hal has always been, just a cosmic-level one.
    Cop implies street level. The Green Lantern Corps is a cosmic law enforcement agency that encompasses much more than that. Morrison has turn Hal Jordan into Andy Sipowicz.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Cop implies street level. The Green Lantern Corps is a cosmic law enforcement agency that encompasses much more than that. Morrison has turn Hal Jordan into Andy Sipowicz.
    He stopped the Earth from getting sold off to an eldritch abomination. How do you get more cosmic than that?
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 01-09-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

When the word "cop" is the second half of the term "space cop," it is automatically no longer street level.

Law and Order certainly doesn't have a single episode featuring the Earth getting kidnapped by aliens for an auction, so there are not plenty of other cop dramas to watch for this type of story.