Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense man View Post
    just make a kryptonian of color why change what is there

To make it simple everything goes back to golden and silver age and those characters were not made to reflect the real world. Those characters represent concepts and characters most fans want to see and back catalog books and products for company so putting out popular Superman book makes DC more money than Sideways book that is as popular. Companies have two choices mostly for character they want to stick

1. Create Legacy minority(or new character) and have them replace the original character for awhile which upsets fans
    2. Make the original character a minority when the medium provides a chance for it ala New 52 or movies like Aquaman which also upset fans

Creating legacy character seems like good idea until you remember that everything goes back to gold and silver age.Superhero Comics are super nostalgia based so new or even legacy concepts are hard to stick. Why not create Kryptonian of color but Calvin Ellis and Val Zod exist are not around. Because Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz are already not around, It isn't just minority characters Wally West isn't around again. Which bring us to my point

If Justice League was created today it wouldn't look like this, If X-men or Avengers were created today it wouldn't look like its original version and despite everyone of those groups looking more diverse than before when books go back to their core (which they have to keep fresh) the teams all look at certain way. If you want real lasting impact you have change one of golden or silver age characters. If you are putting characters in modern setting you have chance to fix one of comics biggest mistakes and make characters reflect the real world. An Alien Immigrant from another planet doesn't have to be white nor does kid from Brooklyn New York. Aquaman can be Polynesian make a nearly billion dollars and prove his skin color doesn't matter but a good story does.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-10-2019 at 06:53 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Man... Just imagine Idris Elba as John Henry Irons. Now imagine a cameo by Henry Cavill as Superman. First they need to give us MOS2 and a year later STEEL
    I just got a brainstorm for an MOS 2. Superman and Steel versus Metallo. Shades of Morrison's ACTION first arc ( the steel and Metallo parts). Call it MEN OF STEEL.

There WB I solved your Superman problem. Cavill gets to finish out his run on a high note ( but you'll resign him for more films because it'll be a hit) ,you get a new franchise spin off and gives the Superman franchise a soft reboot of sorts.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I just got a brainstorm for an MOS 2. Superman and Steel versus Metallo. Shades of Morrison's ACTION first arc ( the steel and Metallo parts). Call it MEN OF STEEL.

There WB I solved your Superman problem. Cavill gets to finish out his run on a high note ( but you'll resign him for more films because it'll be a hit) ,you get a new franchise spin off and gives the Superman franchise a soft reboot of sorts.
    That's... actually a great idea. I'd watch that movie.

Idk I'd have to see it first and think about it for a while. I'm pretty flexible when it comes to changing race/gender but at the same time i don't mind pushing ahead people of color etc.

For example in YJ, Im cool with Artemis being part vietnamese but Im also cool with Kaldur being used instead of Garth.

Plus Clark always felt trapped in amber so I don't mind using Kenan, Hernan, Calvin, Conner, Jon, and Kara instead of him.

Have it be General Sam Lane and Metallo vs. Steel and Superman and I’d be down. Keep it so that Irons helped design the Metallo suit but has a crisis of conscience and aids Supes in stopping Lane and Corbyn.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I was under the impression that they scrubbed that stuff away within about five years of his debut.
    Yeah, the shots taken at who he has become began before Siegel even stopped doing regular work the first time. Which is what kind of makes him the loudest ring false when it comes to being embroidered with a minority culture. Either it or casting race blind, but as reasonable as the people we talk to are, there are fools out there making threats over mere Heimdall.

Man, that'd be awesome
    And Vordan my man, you're a genius.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Like it says. If Superman was portrayed in film or TV as a black, Hispanic, or even Asian actor, would you like it, dislike it, or even care?
    Doesn't Dean Cain have some Asian ancestry? And he was a pretty great Superman. To me race is less important than the "look", so as long as he's a relatively white-skinned guy (from pale to reasonably tan) with dark hair and a decent build, I don't really care what the exact ethnic makeup of the actor's background is. So no, for a TV or film adaptation with a Clark Kent Superman representing classic continuity, I'd rather not have someone noticeably brown play the part just because they wouldn't look like he's been portrayed in the comics (if they decide to adapt an elseworld thing where Superman looks different, then this doesn't apply), but if they're mixed race or something I couldn't care less.

Keep in mind this is strictly in regards to adapting the source material. If the comics decide to pull like a Miles' Spider-Man or something and have a different race guy take on the Superman mantle I'd be pretty cool with that (as long as Clark's not dead to do it). I'm also more lenient about supporting cast, not minding much a black Jimmy in Supergirl (though frankly that guy's too tall and handsome to be Jimmy) or a black Zod in Krypton (or that reveal that Zod is Clark's uncle, that was hell of a neat twist).

Man... Just imagine Idris Elba as John Henry Irons. Now imagine a cameo by Henry Cavill as Superman. First they need to give us MOS2 and a year later STEEL
    Eh, I don't really see Elba as Irons personally. I'd like someone more like that guy playing Black Lightning on the CW (not necessarily him specifically, but similar appearance to that actor). But yeah, definitely agree that I'd love a Steel inspired by Superman like in the comics and getting his own movie. Just keep Snyder away from it. And maybe have Shaq make a cameo appearance as a wink/nod to the fans (it wasn't a good movie, but I actually liked him in the role back in the day).

STEEL would be an awesome character to bring to the big screen. I hope someday soon he gets his chance to star in a movie.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    STEEL would be an awesome character to bring to the big screen. I hope someday soon he gets his chance to star in a movie.
    Again. Steel would be an awesome character to bring to the big screen again. Can't forget he starred in a movie once before.

I'd sure like to forget though!

Ba bum BUM!

Thanks folks, I'm here all week! Try the veal and don't forget to tip your waitress!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

My question is if a Superman of color is just a question of melanin or does it need to be more.

Assume they are going to do a scene for scene remake of the 1978 film or Man of Steel being released today except with key roles going to minority actors. Would having a Superman whose story and dialogue worked for Chris Reeve or Henry Cavill work or do we have to play up cultural differences appropriate to the actor in the role? Does a Superman who looks African-American have to be any more involved in racial issues than usual? Does a Hispanic Superman (raised in Kansas) have to necessarily have to have strong ties to a Latino heritage (more than say an Italian or Irish one would be connected to those cultures)?

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I would absolutely love a Superman of color. All of the things that matter to me about Superman have nothing to do with his race. I think there is a ton of story telling potential that would be unique to a person of color who also happened to be Superman. The name Clark Kent would work just fine for me since he is adopted anyway, but a culturally different name would be fine as well. I think it would be good for everyone to look at "Superman" and see a different representation of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I don't really see Elba as Irons personally. I'd like someone more like that guy playing Black Lightning on the CW (not necessarily him specifically, but similar appearance to that actor). But yeah, definitely agree that I'd love a Steel inspired by Superman like in the comics and getting his own movie. Just keep Snyder away from it. And maybe have Shaq make a cameo appearance as a wink/nod to the fans (it wasn't a good movie, but I actually liked him in the role back in the day).
    Maybe Shaq can play Steel's dad. Shaq turns 47 this year.