View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Looks like Animal Man Deluxe Hardcover Volume 2 is never coming out...
    It seems theyve just reverted it to trade paperback. The omni went out of print quickly and I never had a chance to pick it up.
    Oh you gotta be kidding me... Is there some confirmation on this? So you're saying DC can't even finish 2 volume series in 1 format? I'll be really mad if they won't release vol.2 Deluxe.

At least it looks like they'll finish Promethea in Deluxe. Maybe there's also a chance for Animal Man? Come one, it's just 1 more volume!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

ABSOLUTE GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT
    written by BRIAN AUGUSTYN and JEFF PARKER
    art by MIKE MIGNOLA, P. CRAIG RUSSELL, EDUARDO BARRETO, GREG TOCCHINI, and EVAN “DOC” SHANER
    cover by MIKE MIGNOLA
    The groundbreaking Elseworlds tales of the Victorian era are back in a new Absolute edition! This volume includes the breakthrough tales Gotham by Gaslight and Master of the Future which pit the Dark Knight against Jack the Ripper and a death-dealer from the skies over Gotham City! This collection also includes further appearances from the Victorian Dark Knight, including Countdown Special: The Search for Ray Palmer: Gotham by Gaslight #1 and Convergence: Shazam! #1-2.
    ON SALE 09.09.20
    $49.99 US | 8.25” x 12.5” | 240 PAGES

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

BATMAN: CITY OF CRIME DELUXE EDITION OHC
    written by DAVID LAPHAM
    art by RAMON BACHS and DAVID LAPHAM
    cover by DAVID LAPHAM
    Collecting the epic tale from Detective Comics #800-808 and #811-814 written by David Lapham (Stray Bullets)! As the Dark Knight tries to shut down a drug ring turned deadly, Bruce Wayne must contend with a wayward 14-year-old who is dangerously close to Gotham City’s underworld!
    ON SALE 03.11.20
    $39.99 US | 7.0625” x 10.875” | 304 PAGES

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    ABSOLUTE GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT
    written by BRIAN AUGUSTYN and JEFF PARKER
    art by MIKE MIGNOLA, P. CRAIG RUSSELL, EDUARDO BARRETO, GREG TOCCHINI, and EVAN “DOC” SHANER
    cover by MIKE MIGNOLA
    The groundbreaking Elseworlds tales of the Victorian era are back in a new Absolute edition! This volume includes the breakthrough tales Gotham by Gaslight and Master of the Future which pit the Dark Knight against Jack the Ripper and a death-dealer from the skies over Gotham City! This collection also includes further appearances from the Victorian Dark Knight, including Countdown Special: The Search for Ray Palmer: Gotham by Gaslight #1 and Convergence: Shazam! #1-2.
    ON SALE 09.09.20
    $49.99 US | 8.25” x 12.5” | 240 PAGES

I wish this was just an OHC vs an Absolute.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    BATMAN: CITY OF CRIME DELUXE EDITION OHC
    written by DAVID LAPHAM
    art by RAMON BACHS and DAVID LAPHAM
    cover by DAVID LAPHAM
    Collecting the epic tale from Detective Comics #800-808 and #811-814 written by David Lapham (Stray Bullets)! As the Dark Knight tries to shut down a drug ring turned deadly, Bruce Wayne must contend with a wayward 14-year-old who is dangerously close to Gotham City’s underworld!
    ON SALE 03.11.20
    $39.99 US | 7.0625” x 10.875” | 304 PAGES

David Lapham is amazing! Do you guys recommend this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Antari View Post
    Oh you gotta be kidding me... Is there some confirmation on this? So you're saying DC can't even finish 2 volume series in 1 format? I'll be really mad if they won't release vol.2 Deluxe.

At least it looks like they'll finish Promethea in Deluxe. Maybe there's also a chance for Animal Man? Come one, it's just 1 more volume!
    Animal Man Deluxe Hardcover Vol 1 came out December 2018. We have the solicits for the next few months of 2020 and nothing - no news. That would obviously be more than a year since Vol 1. All we know is that they are printing Animal Man Vol 1 again as a trade paperback in Jan or Feb 2020. On the flipside, Promethea Deluxe HC vol 1 came out in March 2019 and is getting vol 2 in Dec of the same year.

No concrete news - just connecting the dots. Perhaps Animal Man volume 1 HC just didnt sell well? I need vol 2 in oversized deluxe hardcover!!!
    Last edited by Destro777; 11-18-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Mighty Member
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    LoSH: 5 Years Later, Superman by Byrne vol 1, and JLI vol 2 omnibus are all automatic buys. I just hope DC doesn't cancel them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    LoSH: 5 Years Later, Superman by Byrne vol 1, and JLI vol 2 omnibus are all automatic buys. I just hope DC doesn't cancel them.
    One would hope the previous 5YL HC was cancelled solely because they wanted to do the omnibus instead. I'm a Legion novice, but I'd be excited to get this omni

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I wish they'd stop this 1500 page nonsense. Those things are unreadable. I'd much prefer a box set with two or three HCs instead.

For example those recently released three COIE Companion Deluxe Edition HCs are soooooo much better and much more reader-friendly than one 1500+ pages Omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Flash Golden Age Omni vol. 1 has me excited!! Now, to just hope it doesn't get cancelled.
    This is my number one most wanted Golden Age series. I seriously hope this volume materializes. It's visible on Amazon too.

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Golden-...4185295&sr=8-5

The first tales of Jay Garrick, the original Fastest Man Alive!

Jay Garrick was just a normal Joe until an accident turned him into the Flash! This reprint of 1940s-era classics follows the success of the All Star Comics Archives series, and is the first to feature the solo adventures of this iconic character.
    Last edited by andersonh1; 11-19-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaboo View Post
    I wish they'd stop this 1500 page nonsense. Those things are unreadable. I'd much prefer a box set with two or three HCs instead.

For example those recently released three COIE Companion Deluxe Edition HCs are soooooo much better and much more reader-friendly than one 1500+ pages Omnibus.
    I don't disagree, but I have enough collections from DC that peter out before a logical stopping point that I'm not going to complain too much if DC wants to put out a complete run of something.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm with Bob on this. I do agree however that 1500 pg tomes should be the exception vs becoming regular.

DC cancels so much before it even hits the stands that IF they solicit it as ONE complete package perhaps it'll encourage more pre-orders which = to market.

Marvel has a number of orphaned lines stuck at volume one but at least they made what they solicited.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Super stoked for the LoSH 5 Yrs Later omni! That overpriced HC they solicited previously (12 bargain bin issues for $50?!) was ill-advised.

And while I too would rather see 2 or 3 smaller volumes, blowing their load in a single shot seems to be the only way DC can actually make these books see print...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Animal Man Deluxe Hardcover Vol 1 came out December 2018. We have the solicits for the next few months of 2020 and nothing - no news. That would obviously be more than a year since Vol 1. All we know is that they are printing Animal Man Vol 1 again as a trade paperback in Jan or Feb 2020. On the flipside, Promethea Deluxe HC vol 1 came out in March 2019 and is getting vol 2 in Dec of the same year.

No concrete news - just connecting the dots. Perhaps Animal Man volume 1 HC just didnt sell well? I need vol 2 in oversized deluxe hardcover!!!
    If it didn't sell well, why bother with tpb? It's not about the price, it was already very cheap. If people didn't get it, it's because they didn't' like the story, not format. Which is kida surprising to me.

I'll get mad if this turns out to be true. They can't finish this Morrison masterpiece in proper format, but release ton of trash/medicore stories in oversied HC. No word on Animal Man Omnibus rerelease too. What are we suppose to do? I thought releasing this anniversary edition is their way to quickly get it done without rereleasing omni.