Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I’m not inherently against the idea of Clark spending time in the military.
    Wait, what? Is this rumor or for reals?

Actually, that's not even an original idea. Phillip Wylie did the same thing in Gladiator (which we know helped inspire Superman's creation). Great book, if you've never read it before. It might make an interesting wrinkle for Clark, and his "missing years" between college and Metropolis could use an anchor to revolve around. Okay, maybe I could be down with that, if this is legit.

Not sure on this title. It'll depend on which Millar shows up. It could be inspired and glorious or it could be.....something horrible. I really enjoy the man's work most of the time but he makes me damn nervous with Superman.

Regarding Bendis leaving the origin alone and what that might say about Year One being in continuity.....maybe, Millar's been working on this for ages and DC seems to support it, so maybe they're gonna spring this in, Birthright style. But let's not forget the "Manhattan screwed with time" stuff. Bendis might not be focusing on Clark's origin because DC is getting close to re-setting continuity. Snyder's League stuff could also easily lead to a reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Nice to see that Jor-El will be on the good side by this time. Speaks that his mental state is far more likely to be just that, a mental issue, as opposed to any genuine maliciousness. Not to say that's going to alter anyone's opinion on MOS and the start of this whole thing, but what's done is done there, I just don't want to see him in an antagonistic role anymore for as long as he's still around.
    I've been thinking ever since that Jon-Jor issue that all the talk about Jor being crazy and needing to be stopped wasn't "villain" stuff, but "Jor is sick and needs help before he hurts himself or someone else." It seems like a Bendis thing to go, and if done right will be interesting as hell.

Man, I feel for the people who were really digging on Tomasi and Jurgens (I really liked Tomasi too, up to Black Dawn or whatever it was) but Bendis is selling this, and while I've got my issues with some aspects I'm really liking this run. Leviathan sounds really good. Super pissed that Nightwing is nowhere to be seen. That spoils the whole thing for me but the story does look good.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Clark joining the military in Year One is confirmed, Romita talked about drawing some kind of Navy Seal sequence in an interview a while back.

Ok it looks Bleeding Cool was the source so it may or may not be true. I’m thinking it is though. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10...rman-year-one/
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-17-2019 at 10:30 PM.

Mighty Member

I mean it makes sense that Miller would do that. Militarization was a major theme in Miller's Batman work.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I mean it makes sense that Miller would do that. Militarization was a major theme in Miller's Batman work.
    I’m not opposed to it as an Elseworld take, in fact I rather like the idea as a non-canon take on Clark, but I’m definitely going to feel more negative about it if it’s canon.

Finally! Superman Year One is coming! Awesome! I am so pre-ordering this!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m not opposed to it as an Elseworld take, in fact I rather like the idea as a non-canon take on Clark, but I’m definitely going to feel more negative about it if it’s canon.
    It'll depend on how they spin it, for me. I *can* see Clark doing a short tour and I can see how that experience would benefit his character. But there's a lot of ways to go wrong with it too, and Millar being the one to write it makes me leery to begin with.

I'm split, like, 60-40 on it. But I'm definitely curious enough to give this book a shot now. Before I was going to skip it or trade wait. Now I might grab the first issue and go from there. We'll see what the previews look like.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It'll depend on how they spin it, for me. I *can* see Clark doing a short tour and I can see how that experience would benefit his character. But there's a lot of ways to go wrong with it too, and Millar being the one to write it makes me leery to begin with.
    Same.

Like, conceptually I don't actually have an issue with it at all. It works as a way to point back to all those old covers and stories from the 40s where Superman was in the war. It also helps anchor Clark's time after high school/the vague and often brushed aside "he traveled the world" years.

And I honest to goodness think it *could* be a very informative look at his character. I mean, you're in your late teens to early 20s and you're a ball of possibility with no real direction. The authority figures in your life have no real say anymore (possibly shown by the Kents dying), and you're kind of just on your own to make your choices. It's no so out of the realm of possibility to me that Clark joined the Navy in an attempt to feel like something bigger than himself and part of community to alleviate his inherent alienation (this is the same reason why I think Clark and Pa having a conversation about him joining team sports something to be explored). And he doesn't know the best way to put his abilities to greatest use.

But, what would make or break it for me is what he does there and how he decides to leave.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I said it before I'll say it again my main issue isn't that he aged up Jon. My issue is he's doing such a shitty job of having it all make sense it's just so sloppily written. And I enjoyed his recent issue but still the sloppy lack of direction, and lack of cohesive thinking in this run is just killing it for me.

And I still stand by the fact that nothing he's written so far could have been done without the age jump. Furthering my belief it was done for shock value and nothing else. However due to whatseems to be mostly negative backlash, and that's just me going off what I've seen, and average/less than average sales I still think this **** won't last more then a year so whatever *shrugs*

IDK how I feel about the crossover it just seems so meh. I just don't really see anything major coming out of it so I don't really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I said it before I'll say it again my main issue isn't that he aged up Jon. My issue is he's doing such a shitty job of having it all make sense it's just so sloppily written. And I enjoyed his recent issue but still the sloppy lack of direction, and lack of cohesive thinking in this run is just killing it for me.
    I really wish he hadn't aged up Jon. I really liked the younger version (especially working with Damian). I think it would be kind of silly to "de-age" him but I definitely preferred him being younger. Also, I'm worried about how he's going to address Lois and Clark's son no longer being around to the world. I like Bendis and have faith he'll tell a good story though, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think I'll give Miller and Romita Jr the benefit of the doubt though when it comes to Superman Year One! I don't think Miller can write a good story anymore (His "god da**ed Batman" book 100% took him out of my pull list permanently. As for Romita Jr, he ranks slightly above Rob Liefeld in the artist department as far as I'm concerned. I truly hate his artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post

And I still stand by the fact that nothing he's written so far could have been done without the age jump. Furthering my belief it was done for shock value and nothing else.
    That's not true at all. You can't tell this story with a character who leaves a child and comes back a child of very incidental aging because the driving elements with his characterization here is how the years of trials and tribulations he went through shaped him. You can't tell that story with a character who hasn't aged. None of this goes as intended if Jon endured this for a few days, for instance.

None of that means one has to like the very idea, but its not at all apt to say you could tell the exact story Bendis wants to tell while keeping Jon a kid. As its the complete antithesis to the ideas Bendis is trying to execute with his story arc.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-20-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That's not true at all. You can't tell this story with a character who leaves a child and comes back a child of very incidental aging because the driving elements with his characterization here is how the years of trials and tribulations he went through shaped him. You can't tell that story with a character who hasn't aged. None of this goes as intended if Jon endured this for a few days, for instance.

None of that means one has to like the very idea, but its not at all apt to say you could tell the exact story Bendis wants to tell while keeping Jon a kid. As its the complete antithesis to the ideas Bendis is trying to execute with his story arc.
    No, I agree with Journey on that one. If there is a thematic reasoning that Jon had to age seven years, it really isn't coming across. Nothing that has been shown on the page isn't something that couldn't have been done in a matter of months. The flashbacks don't make it feel like seven years has past for him.

The only reason we've seen on the page to age Jon up has been to give Superman angst, which is lame.
    Currently Reading:

No, I agree with Journey on that one. If there is a thematic reasoning that Jon had to age seven years, it really isn't coming across. Nothing that has been shown on the page isn't something that couldn't have been done in a matter of months. The flashbacks don't make it feel like seven years has past for him.

The only reason we've seen on the page to age Jon up has been to give Superman angst, which is lame.
    Edit: Months just away makes this story another "near misses" that Bendis has said Clark has had a lot of. Months doesn't make this a loss. It makes it an inconvenience.

For Jon? I'm guessing the specifics will become clear as is present day story and developments come more into focus. Stuff like any alterations to his secret identity (or foregoing of said ID), views on Earth in relation to the galaxy, or stories with him in a legitimate romantic sense (not the playground crush stuff with Kathy) inappropriate for his age (he'd be 11 to 12).
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-20-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Edit: Months just away makes this story another "near misses" that Bendis has said Clark has had a lot of. Months doesn't make this a loss. It makes it an inconvenience.
    From Clark's perspective sure, but Bendis hasn't down anything with Clark's reaction to it beyond, ANGST!!!!!!! And again, the development of Jon as a character should not just be to service Clark. That undercuts the importance and the following the character developed during the Rebirth era.

For Jon? I'm guessing the specifics will become clear as is present day story and developments come more into focus. Stuff like any alterations to his secret identity (or foregoing of said ID), views on Earth in relation to the galaxy, or stories with him in a legitimate romantic sense (not the playground crush stuff with Kathy) inappropriate for his age (he'd be 11 to 12).
    So wait and see, basically. Well, we've gotten three issues so far and the whole affair has been rushed and unsatisfying and doesn't justify aging up Jon (not that anything could). You can't justify it by what may be. You can just go but what is happening now. And as it stands the only reason for aging up Jon is...Clark angst.
    Currently Reading:

From Clark's perspective sure, but Bendis hasn't down anything with Clark's reaction to it beyond, ANGST!!!!!!!
    It's been, what, an hour to a few hours since the guy's son got home aged to roughly 17 with a harrowing story about his travels? Pretty sure "angst" is the response here. Confusion, sadness, and some anger are what he and Lois should be and are feeling right now. How they deal with it comes later, but for now it's a shock that's still sinking in.

And again, the development of Jon as a character should not just be to service Clark.
    Can't say I really felt that at all once Jon started telling his story. Last issue in particular was in service of Jon's character and no one else's. And I recently had a debate going over this, and I felt like issue 9 of Superman doesn't work unless you've followed Jon as a character till this point. As a character he's always had some from of a support system ready to take whatever burden he's under. Funny enough, it's always characters that are older than him (his dad, mom, and Damian in particular), and DC always seemed to like to dangle the idea that he could be corrupted and turned against his dad and good in general (Black Dawn). So I had a particularly strong sense of catharsis when Jon, trapped on another universe with dwindling powers, no adults or older kids coming to help, held captive by an evil version of his dad who wants to corrupt him, has a coming of age and becomes a man before my eyes.

You may feel totally different--and that's cool--but I'd say that's in direct service to his character.

So wait and see, basically. Well, we've gotten three issues so far and the whole affair has been rushed and unsatisfying and doesn't justify aging up Jon (not that anything could). You can't justify it by what may be. You can just go but what is happening now.
    Well, sure. I mean, I'm not actively telling YOU to wait and see. I don't have nor do I particularly want control of what you do and do not buy with your money and read with your time. I'm saying that these issues are quite transparent about the fact their focus being sparely on Jon's flashbacks and Clark and Lois' reactions to his flashbacks and only his physical appearance. If the issues expressed that they were also interested in the specifics of present day Jon, then I'd take some umbrage with not seeing some stuff, but they don't, thus I don't, and I wait till they do. My choice. Doesn't have to be yours though.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-20-2019 at 02:01 PM.

It's been, what, an hour to a few hours since the guy's son got home aged to roughly 17 with a harrowing story about his travels? Pretty sure "angst" is the response here. Confusion, sadness, and some anger are what he and Lois should be and are feeling right now. How they deal with it comes later, but for now it's a shock that's still sinking in.
    Seriously, Jon hasn't even finished telling his parents what happened to him. I know it's been months for us, and with the way Bendis decompresses his stories Jon could be telling this story for another four-five issues, easy. But for Clark and Lois, it's been no time at all. For reals, Jon gets home, Clark gives him a hug and takes him to Lois, she gives him a hug, and they go to the Fortress for some tests, and Jon starts telling his story. How long does all that take? Saying Jon has been back for even three hours is likely pushing it.

This isn't the story, this is the prologue. We'll see how Clark and Lois handle it once Jon's story is told and they've had a minute to sit down, think it through, and have a cup of coffee.

Its been months for us. For the characters, its been hours. And not many of them. Give them time to actually have a real reaction, rather than just a knee-jerk response.

~ Black Panther.