Page 80 of 141 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 2114
    Spectacular Member

Genis-vell could be Teddy's father instead of being his brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Honestly. ANY "young" casting is going to trigger my crazy. ha ha ha.
    I'm just terrified of seeing a young female actor cast and having to wonder if they're straight-washing by making Teddy into a girl.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Marvel isn't nearly stupid enough to make their (probably) most famous gay couple currently into straight characters.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Marvel isn't nearly stupid enough to make their (probably) most famous gay couple currently into straight characters.
    I was more optimistic before they cast much younger actors for every prominent LGBT character in the YA so far compared to every straight character.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I'm just terrified of seeing a young female actor cast and having to wonder if they're straight-washing by making Teddy into a girl.
    That poor girl would get bashed into oblivion Marvel ain't that stupid.

True, but the amount of people I've seen suggest they introduce Teddy as trans is worrisome. The times I've explained to people that LGBTQIA+ is a shared community but not a shared experience and thus are not interchangeable is sometimes exhausting. In addition to the problematic metaphor of the shapeshifting alien as the introduction of a trans character into the MCU, I wish people would understand that while there is commonality in the prejudice, discrimination, and dehumanization members of the LGBTQIA+ face our experiences are not mirrors of the other.

Besides, there's another Skrull character who they could use if they want an inter-species gender bent relationship - Xavin from Runaways. He wanted to be with Karolina Dean, but Karrie is a lesbian. So he shapeshifted to a female form!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I was more optimistic before they cast much younger actors for every prominent LGBT character in the YA so far compared to every straight character.
    "Every other" is a bit of a reach considering it's literally only Chavez who's young. And still pretty much the age she was when the first appeared!

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Besides, there's another Skrull character who they could use if they want an inter-species gender bent relationship - Xavin from Runaways. He wanted to be with Karolina Dean, but Karrie is a lesbian. So he shapeshifted to a female form!
    They used Xavin in the Runaways show so I doubt they'll touch that for a while.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    True, but the amount of people I've seen suggest they introduce Teddy as trans is worrisome. The times I've explained to people that LGBTQIA+ is a shared community but not a shared experience and thus are not interchangeable is sometimes exhausting. In addition to the problematic metaphor of the shapeshifting alien as the introduction of a trans character into the MCU, I wish people would understand that while there is commonality in the prejudice, discrimination, and dehumanization members of the LGBTQIA+ face our experiences are not mirrors of the other.
    Yeah, I frequent the MarvelStudiosSpoilers subreddit and I've seen this there too. Honestly every time Billy and/or Teddy get brought up there the conversation inevitably makes me feel like I'm going to have an aneurysm.

"Every other" is a bit of a reach considering it's literally only Chavez who's young. And still pretty much the age she was when the first appeared!
    No, it is not "literally only" Chavez. It's also Billy and Tommy which was already discussed at length in this thread towards the end of WandaVision. It's also the alleged casting for Kid Loki in the Loki series as well. The straight characters; Eli, Kate and Cassie are all clearly older than the LGBT ones.

Honestly after WandaVision I'm fully expecting Teddy to be a post-credits hint at the end of Secret Invasion. I'll be surprised if they even cast him to be on the show.

Ok if y'all really think Marvel is gonna do trans representation in the MCU y'all give them far too much credit, in that same sentence they know damn well if they cast Teddy as a girl & **** up him & Billy their most relevant LGBT couple known outside of comics people would lose their **** it's just not gonna happen.

I feel some of y'all are also overestimating when any YA movie/series will take place I actually think it's years away from being an actual thing patience is a virtue, when you look at it from that perspective casting for the Twins & America make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Ok if y'all really think Marvel is gonna do trans representation in the MCU y'all give them far too much credit, in that same sentence they know damn well if they cast Teddy as a girl & **** up him & Billy their most relevant LGBT couple known outside of comics people would lose their **** it's just not gonna happen.

I feel some of y'all are also overestimating when any YA movie/series will take place I actually think it's years away from being an actual thing patience is a virtue, when you look at it from that perspective casting for the Twins & America make sense.
    It's the age discrepancy between the characters. If they're waiting that long for Billy, Tommy and America to be older than they are now, then Kate, Cassie and Eli are going to be even older. So if they're waiting for those young boys who played Billy and Tommy on WandaVision to age then why are the other characters, the straight characters, going to have such a huge age difference from the younger ones?

And don't give me the "Kate is supposed to be a year or two older than the rest of them" explanation. Because Hailee is obviously more than one or two years older, and that doesn't explain there being an age difference between Cassie, Eli and the others as well.

Like I get that they're not going to straight-wash the LGBT characters but can we just admit that them casting significantly younger actors for the LGBT characters, but age-appropriate ones for the straight characters, is suspicious?
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 04-22-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post

Yeah... I'm convinced that the YA are going to get a TV show so that all of the LGBTQ+ content can happen on the small screen so when they show up on the big screen Marvel can just edit out explicitly queer content for countries that ban LGBTQ+ content.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    It's the age discrepancy between the characters. If they're waiting that long for Billy, Tommy and America to be older than they are now, then Kate, Cassie and Eli are going to be even older. So if they're waiting for those young boys who played Billy and Tommy on WandaVision to age then why are the other characters, the straight characters, going to have such a huge age difference from the younger ones?

And don't give me the "Kate is supposed to be a year or two older than the rest of them" explanation. Because Hailee is obviously more than one or two years older, and that doesn't explain there being an age difference between Cassie, Eli and the others as well.
    Cassie's new actress is the same age as Kate's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Cassie's new actress is the same age as Kate's.
    Uhhh... yeah. As I've been saying, the straight characters are in the same age range. It's the non-straight ones who are younger.