Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Someone on twitter said that Carol was a better character than Steve and deserved to be in front of the Endgame poster instead of him. Does anybody here share that opinion?
    In general you are asking in the forums of a comic book website, even if they have been disentangled. So obviously many are going to prefer Steve. I can certainly understand this perspective if all people have seen are the movies. There is nothing intrinsically ‘better’ about Steve. For a non-American they both feel a little flag waving, but I know from their stories that there is more to them than their costume and military allegiance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Someone on twitter said that Carol was a better character than Steve and deserved to be in front of the Endgame poster instead of him. Does anybody here share that opinion?
    I like Carol better than I like Steve...

... but Steve will undoubtedly have a much larger role in Endgame than Carol. She has not quite earned her way to front and center in the poster in the MCU yet.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    In general you are asking in the forums of a comic book website, even if they have been disentangled. So obviously many are going to prefer Steve. I can certainly understand this perspective if all people have seen are the movies. There is nothing intrinsically ‘better’ about Steve. For a non-American they both feel a little flag waving, but I know from their stories that there is more to them than their costume and military allegiance.

Just in the MCU it would make no sense. Nobody knows Carol, for her to come in and be front and center would be ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Just in the MCU it would make no sense. Nobody knows Carol, for her to come in and be front and center would be ridiculous.
    We are talking posters here. They make loads of posters for these movies. There are people out there who would only have seen Captain Marvel of all the MCU movies. There will be some for which this was the first one that spoke to them.

Marketing is about finding potential audiences.

Mighty Member

We are talking posters here. They make loads of posters for these movies. There are people out there who would only have seen Captain Marvel of all the MCU movies. There will be some for which this was the first one that spoke to them.

Marketing is about finding potential audiences.
    I doubt much more than 10% of the audience saw only CM if that much. She is no WW and the movie was heavily tied to endgame. It would not make sense that way either.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    I doubt much more than 10% of the audience saw only CM if that much. She is no WW and the movie was heavily tied to endgame. It would not make sense that way either.
    You are perhaps missing my point. If they wanted to pull in an audience that were not into the wider MCU but were into Captain Marvel, it would be relatively cheap marketing to knock up a few posters to attract that specific demographic.

You are perhaps missing my point. If they wanted to pull in an audience that were not into the wider MCU but were into Captain Marvel, it would be relatively cheap marketing to knock up a few posters to attract that specific demographic.
    I'm pretty sure she'll get a character centric poster like the other 11 are going to be.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I'm pretty sure she'll get a character centric poster like the other 11 are going to be.
    Yes. The question was about being front and centre in a team poster. Let’s face it she is probably pretty experienced by now. 20 years in a cosmic conflict that most of the Avengers would find very challenging.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Yes. The question was about being front and centre in a team poster. Let’s face it she is probably pretty experienced by now. 20 years in a cosmic conflict that most of the Avengers would find very challenging.
    Number wise alone she’ll already have just about everybody beside Thor beat experience wise.

I didn’t think she’d be front and center of this Avengers movie but I assume her and T’challa will be on A5 (or NA 1 or whatever it ends up being)

Well Cap for me is the heart and soul of the MCU. While Captain Marvel is a potentially intersting character they just introduced. It's like calling for Black Panther to take lead if he hadn't gotten snapped.

Ultimate Member

Anyway, according to Comscore/Screen Engine Postrak, more women came out this weekend (so far) for Captain Marvel, 47% compared to 42% last weekend.

Women under the age of 25 increased significantly from 19% to 27%.

I think we will have a better picture of the demographic breakdown of the film’s attendance when it completes its run. All this being said, the movie is projected to do between $65-$70m this weekend with a global total of around $750m by the end of this weekend. It’s looking increasingly likely this movie will do over a $1 billion.

Crazy.

Slightly random thought, but a few online reviews have talked about this movie as a long called for response to the cry for a Black Widow movie and for more prominent female characters in the MCU.

This got me thinking. Just perhaps it worked out better this way. I am sure Marvel will eventually tell a compelling Black Widow story, and there is plenty of excellent source material to draw from, but if they had made a Black Widow movie let’s say eight years ago, what would that have looked like? I can’t help feeling it would have been a little more focused on male fans. I would probably have loved it, because let’s face it Johansson is a gorgeous woman who looks great in her costume. But, would such a movie have focused on that male gaze in the same way The Avengers did?

On the other hand we have in Captain Marvel a character design inspired by the McKelvie one, specifically commissioned to avoid the male gaze issues of her previous costumes. We have a character clearly inspired by the work put in my modern female writers seeking to provide a more modern female role model.

Slightly random thought, but a few online reviews have talked about this movie as a long called for response to the cry for a Black Widow movie and for more prominent female characters in the MCU.
    Maybe. But if thats the case - bad choice on Marvel's part. Scarjo has so much charisma on screen, Brie Larson not so much.

The movie wasn't bad. But you know what movie this reminded me of - Age of Ultron. There was like one decent fight scene, the movie was all over the place and hard to follow at the beginning especially. Overall it is like a movie that didn't need to exist except to set up other MCU movies. Kind of frustrating honestly.

Not to be a member of the he-man woman-haters club or something. But I just felt it was just not that great of a movie in and of itself. Bland bland bland. Also Brie Larson was especially bland. Maybe it was having her play off against better actors like Annette Benning, Sam Jackson, Jude Law and that cat. All of them were better in this film than Brie, I thought.

My teenage daughter and her friend did like the film for the most part. They too found it confusing in parts, but their reactions were pretty positive. So maybe it was just not for me.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-16-2019 at 09:31 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Maybe. But if thats the case - bad choice on Marvel's part. Scarjo has so much charisma on screen, Brie Larson not so much.

The movie wasn't bad. But you know what movie this reminded me of - Age of Ultron. There was like one decent fight scene, the movie was all over the place and hard to follow at the beginning especially. Overall it is like a movie that didn't need to exist except to set up other MCU movies. Kind of frustrating honestly.

Not to be a member of the he-man woman-haters club or something. But I just felt it was just not that great of a movie in and of itself. Bland bland bland. Also Brie Larson was especially bland. Maybe it was having her play off against better actors like Annette Benning, Sam Jackson, Jude Law and that cat. All of them were better in this film than Brie, I thought.

My teenage daughter and her friend did like the film for the most part. They too found it confusing in parts, but their reactions were pretty positive. So maybe it was just not for me.
    Well I think Age of Ultron is great, and that this movie has a very simple structure as I outlined in detail on the spoiler thread so I can’t agree that it was messy.

BANNED

Not gonna try to repost everything about posters, just picking the last one I see at random to provide some thoughts.

Actor prominence in movie posters has nothing to do with the character's importance to the plot. It's all about contract negotiations with the actors. It's not a coincidence that Evans is front and center but RDJ is larger. Or that Hemsworth and Johanssen are the same size and balanced on opposite ends of the poster (upper right, lower left). It's all about prominence of the actor, and that is negotiated as part of doing the movie.

It's why in some movies, where you have co-stars of equal prominence, you'll see one name in the upper right, and the other in the lower left. It gives the impression that neither has top billing. And that's in the contract.