Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Well done, DCEU/Snyder fans!

I just wanted to post this since I hadn't yet seen a thread on it.

Looks like Snyder is getting a $20mil budget to finish his cut of the film, and it's coming to HBO Max!

Now, you all know that I don't care at all for these films. I've made that quite clear, lol...

However, I just wanted to take a moment to congratulate all those #ReleaseTheSnyderCut fans who kept at it and MADE it happen. It's something I never thought WB would do. Like, ever. So my hat is off to each and every one of you for not giving up the fight - even in the face of fans like me (and even others who were combative about the idea of it - I was agnostic but didn't think it was possible).

Honestly, it gives me a bit of optimism that some more change at WB is possible, if there's enough of a concerted effort to make it happen.

But for now, I'm glad you all are getting at least this piece of what you wanted. I'm curious, of course - but this isn't about me or for me. It's for you all.

And I hope you love it.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

We were talking about this over in the DCEU Appreciation thread.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I hated the theatrical version of JL and i mostly like man of steel. So this is good for me. I like henry as superman. Best of all,i adore han zimmer's music.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh, ok - my bad. I don't go in that thread (since it's not for me and I'm not about to bug those folks in there).

Just wanted to offer an honest congratulations.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah I never think much of the DCEU but I hope it really is worth it. 2021 is a ways off though
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yeah I never think much of the DCEU but I hope it really is worth it. 2021 is a ways off though
    It is - though I'd imagine they're going to need all that time to put everything together, spend time (actually spend time, lol) getting effects right, etc. I've spent months just mixing audio for albums, so I have some small inkling of an idea of how much time/energy something like this would have to take.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well, I guess if people wanted to complain about the Snyder Cut's release, we could use this thread, too.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Well, I guess if people wanted to complain about the Snyder Cut's release, we could use this thread, too.
    Those that demanded it so much, annoying everyone, better not complain about it like they did the previous Snyder DCEU films.

Congratulations from my side as well. On my part i never believed that the studio would do it. That would mean putting good money after bad money. No one in their right mind does that from a business perspective.

Not to take way from the efforts of the fans, it appears that HBO Max has come in to save the day. Twenty million for a home release does not look like a good decision. But on streaming it could make sense. You have the streaming wars where all companies want a big slice. Companies would be more willing to spend money to compete in a new market with potential. We have a persistent and vocal fanbase. With support from some big names like Jason Momoa.

Personally, i didn't want this as the Snyder cut seems to lean into evil Superman more. I am so fed up with it. It appeared that it was the only thing people are trying in other media. And the main guy wasn't working out so well. I was happy with the theatrical cut but could see that there are many flaws to it. With time the flaws seem more apparent. So, now i am atleast curious.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-20-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Admittedly, I hate almost every part of the DCEU that Snyder has touched (Yep. That means I liked Suicide Squad more than Man of Steel, Justice League, and ESPECIALLY BvS). And I think Whedon's parts, while cringeworthy at some points, made JL a lot more enjoyable than it probably would have ended up being, had Snyder stayed on.

But I'm happy for the people who wanted this. I like stories of fans rallying together to get something nice. It's like how fans of the YJ cartoon got a third (and soon to be fourth) season...albeit a bit more loud and angry...that part's not so nice....but overall, good for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Those that demanded it so much, annoying everyone, better not complain about it like they did the previous Snyder DCEU films.
    They did? I thought it was fans like me who were complaining about the films and Snyder's direction? lol

But that does put me in the mind to suggest this to the Snyder folks out there: HBO Max is very likely doing this to capitalize on your passion in the hopes that you'll keep their service. That may seem cynical, but it could also be an opportunity. If enough of the fans like it and they see a vocal subscriber base who say they're there because of Snyder/DCEU, HBO Max might green light some more smaller content in that same universe.

It's not in my interest to give you all that advice, lol, but in the interest of fairness (and curiosity to see where this goes) I'm freely giving it, anyway.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm just glad I don't have to see the posts everywhere now.

Not really that surprised with this development because Young Justice fans have been doing the same thing for... 3 years was it? Before they finally cave and allow Season 3... and I saw more posts demanding Snyder cut than Young Justice Season 3 so they're gonna get it sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    They did? I thought it was fans like me who were complaining about the films and Snyder's direction? lol

But that does put me in the mind to suggest this to the Snyder folks out there: HBO Max is very likely doing this to capitalize on your passion in the hopes that you'll keep their service. That may seem cynical, but it could also be an opportunity. If enough of the fans like it and they see a vocal subscriber base who say they're there because of Snyder/DCEU, HBO Max might green light some more smaller content in that same universe.

It's not in my interest to give you all that advice, lol, but in the interest of fairness (and curiosity to see where this goes) I'm freely giving it, anyway.
    Toxicity is around in both directions. Mere mention of the movie would start war between two factions. And then there will be those stuck in the middle. Regardless, this version of superman had to fight a steep uphill battle to exist as its own thing and not be something else. It even had to fight that battle in the real world. See, i have always envisioned superman as a controversial figure like in the original comics. But, this went way past that considering the sheer emotions from two sides.

Moreover, i do feel fans don't give snyder and goyer enough credit for the research he put into the character. That scene with truck driver, parallel action comics #1, where superman smashes the car in frustration because he couldn't protect lois(a random woman in the movie) as clark kent from harassment and worse. Superman being an urban myth from the original origin. Pa asking clark to hide his strength due to fear of consequences. Yep! From siegel shuster books.Superman coming out as a real tangible thing to save lois is also from. The tension between superman and the government also from the original book.It felt fitting to see even after all superman does, he seen as just collateral by the government. They nuked him. Yet, the guy comes back and dies for them. Felt like something a champion would do. He made no fuss about it either. Astroboy takes the same ques from superman, (astroboy author is japanese superman fan, as far as i know) . Superman saves the people who wouldn't even see him as a person. The things like him breaking chains cuffs and satellite drone feels very reminiscent of the man of action.

"You can't control me and you never will. But that doesn't mean I'm your enemy"

This just ques that feel very goldenage i picked. The amount of books that influenced that movie is truly astonishing. Byrne reboot, For tomorrow, birthright,earth one, secret origins, all star..etc. Yeah! People think donner movies have nothing to do with snyder movies. They would be wrong. The entire plot with zod and structure of story is mainly based on postcrisis and donner movies.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-21-2020 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Toxicity is around in both directions. Mere mention of the movie would start war between two factions. And then there will be those stuck in the middle. Regardless, this version of superman had to fight a steep uphill battle to exist as its own thing and not be something else. It even had to fight that battle in the real world. See, i have always envisioned superman as a controversial figure like in the original comics. But, this went way past that considering the sheer emotions from two sides.
    True. I just didn't think it was Snyder's fans that complained about the movies - since they'd be the ones defending them (except JL, of course).

Moreover, i do feel fans don't give snyder and goyer enough credit for the research he put into the character. That scene with truck driver, parallel action comics #1, where superman smashes the car in frustration because he couldn't protect lois as clark kent from harassment and worse. Superman being an urban myth from the original origin. Pa asking clark to hide his strength due to fear of consequences. Yep! From siegel shuster books.Superman coming out as a real tangible thing to save lois is also from. The tension between superman and the government also from the original book.It felt fitting to see even after all superman does, he seen as just collateral by the government. They nuked him. Yet, the guy comes back and dies for them. Felt like something a champion would do. He made no fuss about it either. Astroboy takes the same ques from superman, (astroboy author is japanese superman fan, as far as i know) . Superman saves the people who wouldn't even see him as a person. The things like him breaking chains cuffs and satellite drone feels very reminiscent of the man of action.
    For me, there's research, and then there's a way to use it. The urban myth part was, imo, good. There's quite a bit of good in MoS if you take the execution out of it - and I'd say Pa saying "maybe" to "let them die?" would be a decent example of that. There's some real clunkage (ymmv, of course) in there, but there's also good. There's good in BvS, too, but it's much more buried.

Funny enough about his death in BvS - I'm surprised you look at it that way, because (for me) it was drenched in so much overbearing Jesus imagery it made me sick.

The chain cuff breaking and drone (minus the "you won't know where I live but I'm from Kansas" part) were good, though.

"You can't control me and you never will. But that doesn't mean I'm your enemy"

This just ques that feel very goldenage i picked. The amount of books that influenced that movie is truly astonishing. Yeah! Byrne reboot, For tomorrow, birthright, year one, secret origins, all star..etc. Yeah! People think donner movies have nothing to do with snyder movies. They would be wrong. The entire plot with zod and structure of story is mainly based on postcrisis and donner movies.
    I certainly see Birthright, All Star, and Donner influences - all cranked up to 10, but certainly still there. I don't so much see the Byrne reboot, but to each his own.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    True. I just didn't think it was Snyder's fans that complained about the movies - since they'd be the ones defending them (except JL, of course).

For me, there's research, and then there's a way to use it. The urban myth part was, imo, good. There's quite a bit of good in MoS if you take the execution out of it - and I'd say Pa saying "maybe" to "let them die?" would be a decent example of that. There's some real clunkage (ymmv, of course) in there, but there's also good. There's good in BvS, too, but it's much more buried.

Funny enough about his death in BvS - I'm surprised you look at it that way, because (for me) it was drenched in so much overbearing Jesus imagery it made me sick.

The chain cuff breaking and drone (minus the "you won't know where I live but I'm from Kansas" part) were good, though.

I certainly see Birthright, All Star, and Donner influences - all cranked up to 10, but certainly still there. I don't so much see the Byrne reboot, but to each his own.
    Well, i don't know about snyder fans.But, i do think largely the fandom as whole had a lot of discussions. It stands to reason there will be people with diverse views regarding the movies within the snyder fans as well.

Those are his interpretation(maybe scene) . The first action comics are largely mythic (intentionally or unintentionally). We get snapshot of the guys life you know morrison style. Doomed planet, desperate scientist.. Etc. Pa tells clark to "hide his great strength". Ma tells him to assist humanity when right time comes. Snyder viewed it through utilitarian paradigm. i wouldn't say he is right or wrong. It can be viewed differently by different people. Utilitarianism is perfectly logical position. To his credit, pa is just a confused old man with a kid that can flip the world inside out.

The entire thing about krypton being a dystopia, kelex, the codex thingy and plot, the name of the movie(nolan influence can also be taken) , superman killing zod... Etc. Jesus imagery doesn't bother me as long as i find superman as one of us. Here it's used to feels largely playing into subverting batman's nietzschean "god is dead" trappings and asking superman's own "is he man, devil or messiah? " question. I saw only a man. I will admit that's not the question i would want to ask with superman. "is he a superman or gun? " is the question i would have asked. I like allstar for the same reason. He didn't have much savior complex or actually played that part. It felt like a guy died or was dieing and his sick old mother buried him while a people he met along the way mourned him. Even the hulk books has a lot of religious imagery. It doesn't really bother me. I like those stories fine enough. But, i just don't like moral authorities is all. I can like christ, krishna, buddha.. Etc and not particularly care for organised religion. That sort of thing.

these movies aren't really my thing. But, they just didn't feel like an empty void. In the theatrical cut of jl, i really felt that.for some reason, It pissed me off then and there. I quickly left, i never watched the movie again. I would take something i disagree with. But, Superman becoming a caricature without a reasonable critic or just fun joke felt malicious to me.