Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Default X-Men in the MCU Hopes & Dreams

This can't be the first thread focusing on this, but I searched for it and didn't find it. If there's already an ongoing discussion, please point me in the right direction.

I've been reading X-Men comics since 1982, and have been a fan of the cartoons, movies and now TV shows. I have some hopes and dreams (and I'm actually excited) for the X-Men in the MCU.

1. I hope they recast everyone. Except Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool. Due to the uniqueness of the Deadpool comics, I actually think he could be incorporated...eventually.

2. Having said that, i hope they start over with the O5 and Xavier as the main focus. I hope they take their time with the story and not jump right into Wolverine, Storm, Colossus etc...The powers that be at Marvel Studios have shown they are willing to do this, unlike the DC films, so I hope they give the X-Men the same consideration.

3. The Fox films focused on Magneto and Xavier's rivalry/friendship. I don't know if it's necessary to revisit that. Obviously, Magneto has been an important character in the X-Men comics, so he'd have to show up somehow, but it would have to be in a different way than the Fox films.

4. I hope they keep the numbers of Mutants very low. One of the things I haven't liked in the Fox films (and sometimes the comics, tbh) is the number of nondescript Mutants running around. Focus on Xavier & the O5. Slowly introduce others. But not a lot of others.

5. I think, for the most part, they could introduce Mutants into the MCU and almost keep them hidden from the rest of the world for a while. That would A) make sense and be in line with the comics and B) give them time to develop the characters and relationships without having to have a big confrontation with Captain Marvel or Doctor Strange etc...obviously, this would be happening at the same time the Fantastic Four are introduced to the MCU. I have ideas about that too!

6. And finally, I really hope the characters stay true to their comic counterparts. Angel was butchered in the Fox movies. Rogue wasn't really Rogue. Storm wasn't nearly regal enough. AND if/when they do reintroduce Wolverine he's got to be a short, hairy, scrappy fellow.

'nuff said.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

I hope they recast everyone. Except Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool. Due to the uniqueness of the Deadpool comics, I actually think he could be incorporated...eventually.
    The uniqueness is not really necessary. Just look at the new franchise which reused an actor for the same role.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I hope they keep the X-Men in their own universe. The central core of the concept of the X-Men falls apart when you have the general public adoring characters like Captain America and Scarlet Witch.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I hope they keep the X-Men in their own universe. The central core of the concept of the X-Men falls apart when you have the general public adoring characters like Captain America and Scarlet Witch.
    Not really. Mutants are feared and hated for the same reason jews were in Nazi Gemany: people believe they are trying to take over. It’s never really been about the powers. X-Men #14 of the original Stan Lee run shows this. Mutants have paralleled Jews of Nazi germany more than any other group.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 11-10-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If I had my choice I would rather they are rebooted from the ground up in their own universe. I am sure that is not the plan though.

I have said before in other threads if it was me I would establish that there have been mutants being born for a long time, but they are very very rare with only the likes of Xavier, Magneto, and Sinister being around and them keeping a very low profile. The recent events like the portal over New York, Doctor Strange using the time gem on such a huge scale, Thor opening portals, and all the other instances of weird energy being released on Earth since Iron Man I has fully triggered the x-gene to kick into high gear and teenagers around the world have started to have powers develop. Xavier and Magneto both have been gathering up these kids for a few years and training them still keeping a low profile until a mega powerful mutant (someone like Proteus) appears that then forces them to go full public to deal with it. This would scare people creating the mistrust and fear that people feel about mutants. SHIELD would have some knowledge of mutants, but because of their collapse and Hydra manipulating information details would be very scarce.

Colorful and individualized Superhero costumes would be nice .

BANNED

Reboot from the start. Make some new event the genesis of mutants rather than the atom bomb. It doesn't make a lot of sense for them to have been in hiding for years or decades when you have an organization with the capabilities of SHIELD that is specifically on the lookout for superhumans. Also with an org like HYDRA that has supposedly infiltrated everything. I suppose you could make the same argument with the Hand, though I think the Hand proves that Netflix MCU is not the same reality as movie MCU - you can't have two secret organizations that have infiltrated everything.

But in any case, give the X-Men a reason to exist within the MCU that compliments it and adds to the story in a meaningful way, don't just throw them in unexpectedly and with no origin. Give them the Spider-man: Homecoming treatment. Give them that respect

Fantastic Member Spiritualcramp's Avatar

I'm hoping they continue with some of the younger actors, its a shame they weren't given much time in Apocalypse. I'm curious to see what Feige and company do with the mutants in the upcoming years

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Humanity has done fine with double standards for a long while now.

That said, I think the X-Men's 'peaceful co existence or the threat of war' is undermined if they can call in Cap, build a million Iron Man suits, etc.

Being their own canon always their conflict to be more pronounced in movies, IMO.

Im hoping Wolverine pops up as a member of alpha flight.

I'm curious about how the X-men are going to be brought in.

I wouldn't mind an Academy X shoutout. Those kids need a push.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

That said, I think the X-Men's 'peaceful co existence or the threat of war' is undermined if they can call in Cap, build a million Iron Man suits, etc.

Being their own canon always their conflict to be more pronounced in movies, IMO.
    Cap and Iron Man might not even be around by the time the X-Men come in.

It was never a double standard.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    It was never a double standard.
    Embracing the superpowered Avengers while hatin and fearing the X-Men?

Yeah, I'd call that a double standard

For the live action Hulk vs Wolverine movie to be at least as good as the cartoon. Also for there to be a Hulk vs Wolverine live action movie honestly. It's like the only reason I'm interested in the X-Men getting into the MCU. Oh, and maybe a call out to Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. But mostly the Hulk vs Wolverine thing.

Embracing the superpowered Avengers while hatin and fearing the X-Men?

Yeah, I'd call that a double standard
    A double standard that Emma Frost has loved to drive home since Whedon.