Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The same comics that claim there is no audience for the likes of Squirrel Girl, Static and Ms Marvel?

The same comics that scream tv shows and movies do not matter?

That is all I heard tossed at John Stewart fans. Those shows or movies don't matter.

That celebrated run is two huge books in stores. You need BOOKS.

One of the MAJOR gripes I have heard is "I would have loved to buy the book if it was MADE".

A person watching Static Shock had no book to read. Unlike Batman, Peter Parker, Superman, WW, Hal, Barry, X-Men and now recently Shuri, Black Panther, Carol Danvers, Moon Girl.

Moon Girl fans have 9 trades to look at before watching her show. As does Naomi, Riri Williams & Ms Marvel.

TMNT was a comic first before those shows.
    Two Guns was a comic before Denzel's movie.
    Walking Dead was a comic before the shows.
    Men in Black was a comic before the movies.

Sometimes you have to start somewhere.
    Compared to film and television, to the greater audience and if you're trying to reach the most people, comics are in fact irrelevant. I hate that it's the case, but it is.

A person watching Static who discovered him there only cares about him because there's a show and is only going to read because they're out of show. If they kept making episodes, I imagine most the TV fans would just prefer to get their hit of Static from the show. Same for any IP people fall in love with using a more popular (and passive) medium. There's not a ton of spillover from other mediums back into comics. History's shown that. The ones that come here are often bothered by the deviations from their adaption, which to them is the source, and many don't make it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of adaptions vs source and perception being reality. People are funny.

Do you really think I'd have hit nearly 7,000 posts here if I didn't care about the comics or source material? They're what I prefer. Comics are what I love. I'm not talking about comic fans. I'm talking about a mega corporation that already has source material.

They can invest in film, TV or comics. Which two of the three are going to hit the widest audience and create the biggest fanbases? It ain't the periodical books, no matter how we try and slice it. We're competing for the same 250k people buying monthly books and we consider a book a success at 40k people.

Those numbers won't even greenlight a TV pilot, let alone a feature film. Here we are with both and an animated project on top of that.

You can whine, rationalize, kick and scream as much as you want but that's the objective truth of the matter. Stop trying to draw lines in the sand about "but my source material, ya gotta start somewhere." They did. There's 80 years of starting somewhere. They still see a reason to keep publishing. Obviously they get it too, but not having a book on the shelves isn't going to hurt those projects at all.

But if WB/DC/ATT are making a JSA show in Stargirl, an animated film and having them be a huge part of the Black Adam feature film, I'm not going to whine that they're not investing in the Justice Society because they're not printing a book that will be lucky to have 30,000 readers six months in. It's absolutely asinine to say otherwise.

Obviously I want a JSA book. I sing the praises of the Johns run every chance I get. I adore that book. I've bought it multiple times over like the absolute cretin I am. If we got a new title, I'd get both covers for its duration just to support the book, and maybe even dip in digital just to goose the numbers. I did that for Hawkman, minus the digital buy, for all the good it did.

One solid TV show will make them more money than a celebrated run will. I'm willing to bet on that. They're a business, not fans. It doesn't matter how important these books are to us (and they obviously are), but they objectively care more about the JSA right now than they ever have, even back when they gave the JSA 2-3 monthly books. It's just the case that we're the one market they aren't satisfying-- and that sucks-- but to say they're not investing hard into the JSA is goddamn foolish.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-17-2021 at 02:18 PM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Interesting lineup
    Attachment 114724
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    There's no back up, and other members are done with the JL.
    The backup is only on hiatus for the duration of this arc - the teams aren't merging. In fact the only members of the core team out should be Superman (in space) and Flash (trapped in another universe). Where are Batman, Green Arrow, Hippolyta?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The backup is only on hiatus for the duration of this arc - the teams aren't merging. In fact the only members of the core team out should be Superman (in space) and Flash (trapped in another universe). Where are Batman, Green Arrow, Hippolyta?
    That's what I figured. It's a crossover and there's too many characters to fit onto the cover.

Also, as a minor complaint, I'm also disappointed to see Zatanna still hasn't adopted her Future State outfit and is keeping the current one she's been stuck with since JLD relaunched in 2018.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    He was aged up too much to be a "boy" now, I guess.
    (Is he beyond his teens now?)

I think that Jon is still a teen , but not sure of his age. Anyway I'm hoping that Jon as Superman does not last.
    Jon needs to be de aged back to Damian's age.
    Would be cool if Jor-El showed up again too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    The sad reality is that the moment CW pushes the Flash franchise and other not big name franchise more than any other DC properties just show that the comics division care nothing but releasing more bat-contents. What a sad society we live in.
    I have to agree. I love Batman also , but it's just too much at this point.
    Meanwhile , Superman has only Action Comics , sad 😔

Maybe they'd launch more Flash books if current Flash book sold more than a random Batman series.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    The OG Teen Titans, Donna, Roy, Garth, Dick and Wally, what's going on with them?
    Dick and Donna are in the Titans United book.
    Roy and Wally are suppose to appear in issue 8 of TTA, I think.
    Also, TTA by Tim Sheridan should end around issue 12, and then it's very possible the book would change direction.

Sheridan said he may do a few more to tie up loose ends. But he'll be gone by issue 18 for sure.

Wally of course also has the solo Flash book right now, and Dick has his Nightwing book.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman