Page 154 of 287 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204254 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 4303
    BANNED

Fantastic Four #1 Jan 1998
    "Vive la Fantastique!"
    Miles bellow the surface of the earth, the Mole Man is plotting his takeover of the surface world when news
    comes to him that the Fantastic Four have returned after reportedly being dead for quite some time.
    He decides that perhaps he will postpone his plans but takes time to toast his greatest adversaries.

In Antarctica Ben Grimm finds himself strapped to Reed Richards’ latest invention; the Electromagnetic Meson Velocirator.
    The large device is designed to travel at great speeds by using the Earth’s magnetic force, but Ben just wants to get things over with so he can get back inside.
    During the countdown the Human Torch flies by and after teasing Ben he melts the ground bellow him sending the Thing hurtling down a cliff.
    Unfortunately for Ben the Electromagnetic Meson Velocirator activates and sends Ben flying across the Ice field.
    As Jonny flies up along side Ben to continue to tease him, Ben grabs the Torch and soon the two are inside of a massive snow ball rolling towards the Fantastic Four’s artic base.

At the base Reed is excited by his results and Sue and Franklin watch the snowball continues to careen towards them.
    Before the massive ball of snow can crush her and her son Sue creates a force field that stops the ball and ejects Ben and Jonny, who are quickly chastised by the Invisible Woman.
    Naturally Reed is totally oblivious to this, grabbing Franklin he heads inside to review his results, leaving the others behind.

Meanwhile in Paris, France, a group of anti-technology prostesters has appeared outside of the dig site operated by the American company known as D.R.C.
    which has uncovered ancient tunnels deep below Paris. The protestors are against an American company coming in to sift through and monetize French history.
    Among the protesters are Yvette Diamonde, Laurent Levasseur and Henry Dubois the most vocal of the three protestors.
    They are shocked when D.R.C.'s European councillor Aaron Starr personally confronts them and invites them to see what D.R.C. has discovered beneath Paris.
    Down below they are shocked when Starr shows them an ancient doorway covered in ancient scripture that predates human history and lanuage.
    When Yvette learns they intend to use a laser to bore through the ancient door she tries to stop them by kicking it aside.
    As the protestors struggle with the D.R.C. technicians he door suddenly begins to crack open unleashing a strange energy on the other side.

Back at their temporary headquarters in Antarctica, the Thing is cooking up some food when Sue asks him if he needs any help.
    Ben then goes off on a tirade about how their lives were completely upended when they were forced to relive alternate lives in another dimension and
    how the Thunderbolts have taken up residence in their old headquarters in their absence. When he asks what sort of help she can provide coming to terms with all that,
    Sue remarks that she was asking if he needed any help with the cooking. As she begins preparing a salad, Sue explains that their recent experiences are just yet another
    adventure that comes part and parcel with being members of the Fantastic Four. When Ben asks why he would choose to relive a new life as the Thing,
    Sue points out that no matter where they end up Ben will always be the hero he always has been. When she thinks Ben has started to cry at this statement,
    it's only because of the smoke from his grill. Sue reassures Ben that no matter what they love him no matter what he looks like.
    In the hangar Reed is working on refurbishing the original Fantasti-Car with Johnny and Franklin. As they work, Franklin asks his father what his
    Transpatial Breach Early Warning System device is. Reed explains that it detects when something in one of many pocket dimensions tries to cross over into their world.
    When Franklin points out that it has started flashing, Reed realizes that there is trouble brewing and tells Johnny to summon the others.

Meanwhile in France, the ancient crypt door has burst open filling the underground tunnel with an alien energy source.
    It begins passing through D.R.C. workers and protesters alike transforming them into alien beings, only Yvette is unaffected.

Soon standing over her are Stem, B'arr and Exalt, three members of a long imprisoned and ancient race called the Ruined.
    They explain that they were imprisoned in another dimension as enemies of progress, appealing to Daimonde's anti-technological rhetoric.
    Seeing her as the chosen one that will allow them to retake the world they have been banished from they give her a mystical sword that transforms her into their agent.
    Above ground two punk rocker American ask a Belgian protester about what's going on, once they are informed on the D.R.C.'s activities in the area they suddenly disappear.
    The "punk couple" are actually the Invisible Woman and Mister Fantastic in disguise. They use Sue's invisibility powers to slip past security and access the tunnels below.
    Once clear from anyone else, they doff their disguises and Reed's scanner picks up a strange transformation that is reverting modern day Paris into an ancient analogue.
    While his scanner is picking up readings they are suddenly confronted by members of the Ruined.

Elsewhere in Paris, Johnny and Ben are seeing the sights while trying to keep a low profile. However this does not stop Johnny from being recognized by a supermodel named Arlise
    who wants to thank Johnny for all the times he has saved the world. Seeing that Johnny is picking up another girl, Ben takes this as his cue to leave. Ben begins walking around the
    streets of Paris reflecting on his thoughts when suddenly he is pelted in the head with a head of lettuce. He is surprised it is a group of children who are lobbing the produce at him.
    After hurling insults in French and tossing tomatoes the kids take off as Ben loses his temper and gives them chase. But when he rounds the corner, Ben loses sight of the kids and
    wonders where they could have disappeared. Wondering what that was all about Ben walks away unaware that the street he was on was Rue de Yancy.

Meanwhile at the D.R.C. dig site the ground suddenly quakes and the ground splits open, unearthing a massive and impossibly ancient tree made of stone.
    Also out from the hole in the ground comes Mister Fantastic's arm, stretching into the air to fire off a Fantasti-Flare. Spotting this, both Johnny and Ben
    take off for the site and are surprised to see a massive palace has taken shape at the dig site. There they find Reed and Sue fighting off members of the Ruined.
    As Ben joins the fight, he is almost ambushed by Yvette who has been transformed into the Ruined's agent, the Martyr.
    When Ben comments about being old fashioned when it comes to hitting women, Martyr strikes him so hard he goes crashing into the Notre Damme Cathedral.
    As the battle rages on things are going according to Stem's plans. Reed overhears this and realizes that the battle is merely a distraction to allow the Ruined to
    complete their assimilation of Paris. His scanners detect energy that is collecting and suddenly a massive portal opens behind Martyr. The rest of the Ruined explain
    that she is to be sacrificed to allow the Ruined to retake the Earth. Unwilling to sacrifice her life for their insane goals, Yvette tries to appeal to her former friends.
    The Fantastic Four try to seal the portal but the members of the Ruined fight them at every turn.
    When Reed realizes that massive glass and steel pyramid outside of the Louvre has not been affected by the transmogrification process, he orders Ben to toss it into the portal.
    On contact the harmonics of the pyramid disrupt the portal causing it to abruptly close and almost everything goes back to normal.
    All those who were transformed into the Ruined are missing except Yvette who still wears the costume of the Martyr.

When Reed asks her to accompany him back for study, a member of D.R.C. protests saying that her armor and her sword are property of his company.
    When Reed tries to protest this, Yvette responds by saying that she will go with them as she has come to realize that there
    needs to be balance between heritage and progress and going back with D.R.C. is the best way to accomplish these goals.
    With the danger over the Fantastic Four decide to return home. As they leave, the people of Paris praise the Fantastic Four, chanting "Vive la Fantastique!" over and over.

Script by Scott Lobdell, pencils by Alan Davis, inks by Mark Farmer.
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 02-09-2018 at 06:45 AM.

Some sad news. Reg E Cathey, who played Franklin Storm in the 2015 Fantastic Four movie, has died.
    https://www.cbr.com/reg-e-cathey-dies-59/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Today's MARVEL 2-IN-ONE #3 threw in some unexpected suprises within this Third Issue of the Series........

Basically, in addition to spoilers:
    the re-intro of the woman who first appeared within the very first Issue of the series; she reveals that Ben Grimm was also losing his powers along with Johnny
    end of spoilers.....Also, the Mad Thinker comes to an interesting conclusion that the readers really need to see to believe it.....!!

And this reader loved the latest WHERE IS WOLVERINE Moment within Today's MARVEL 2-IN-ONE #3.

I am loving this Marvel-2-In-One Series!

Every issues has been great so far. A little sad that we lost Cheung on art so soon

Looking forward to the next issue. Wish it wasn't such a long wait though!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I am loving this Marvel-2-In-One Series!

Every issues has been great so far. A little sad that we lost Cheung on art so soon

Looking forward to the next issue. Wish it wasn't such a long wait though!
    Not really, Cheung is getting caught up on upcoming Issues within the MARVEL 2-IN-ONE Series.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    Not really, Cheung is getting caught up on upcoming Issues within the MARVEL 2-IN-ONE Series.
    Yes, I think we'll get several issues done by Valerio Schiti in the meantime.

Fantastic Four 646 needs something done by Joe Sinnott. A pin-up or inks on someone's pencils, but some recognition of his contribution to the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yes, I think we'll get several issues done by Valerio Schiti in the meantime.
    Ah, good to know!

Yeah, Cheung's back with issue 6.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Fantastic Four 646 needs something done by Joe Sinnott. A pin-up or inks on someone's pencils, but some recognition of his contribution to the franchise.
    Amen to that. Preach, Captain, preach!
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

I'm not sure how I feel about the reveal of their powers in the latest issue of 2-in-One.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about the reveal of their powers in the latest issue of 2-in-One.
    A mis-shipment meant the books I wanted to get at my LCS this week didn't get there and I am not happy about that. Hence, I haven't read the issue, but somehow I don't see where the latest development is actually bad news for the party involved.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    A mis-shipment meant the books I wanted to get at my LCS this week didn't get there and I am not happy about that. Hence, I haven't read the issue, but somehow I don't see where the latest development is actually bad news for the party involved.
    I'll put my thoughts in spoiler tags in case you and others want to wait til you have the book:

spoilers:
    I like the idea of family behind their powers, but I'm worried that it will only further make them inseparable from one another (in a bad way). Too often they aren't written like individuals and instead as one character made up of four parts. While I don't like that Sue and Reed are gone, it's been great for Johnny (and to a lesser extent Ben) making a way on his own and being an individual. He was seen as his own hero instead of just one part of the Fantastic Four and I want that to be the case for all of them. I hope it doesn't change when the team gets back together.
    end of spoilers
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I actually liked it as it cements the importance of their shared bond and it all but confirms, if anyone had any doubts, that the four will be reassembled in time.

Great issue, by the way. I was slightly worried that I'd miss Cheung's art but Schiti did a bang up job. The issue looked beautiful and Z'Darsky is just totally nailing it with his humor and characterizations. Definitely one of the best books out there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I actually liked it as it cements the importance of their shared bond and it all but confirms, if anyone had any doubts, that the four will be reassembled in time.

Great issue, by the way. I was slightly worried that I'd miss Cheung's art but Schiti did a bang up job. The issue looked beautiful and Z'Darsky is just totally nailing it with his humor and characterizations. Definitely one of the best books out there right now.
    I'm going fanboy WTF here. There have been times in the past when one of the four has been separated from the rest by a great distance including time and space. Now the only difference here is the four has been separated into two groups of two. Granted, there was Ben changing back and forth after Secret Wars (the first one {wait a minute... do you think there's a connection?}) but Sue was on Earth. And let's be honest, how many times has anyone tried to cure ben and failed? Sorry, I doesn't like it. The end of Hickman's massive story with Future Ben makes no sense in this case. And yes, I realize Wally West after COIE needing to regain his confidence.