Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Time-Displaced X-Men (2012-2018)

This era has become one of my favorites. It’s fun, fascinating, engaging, and, ultimately, deeply moving. Does anybody else enjoy this period?

The reading list: https://cmro.travis-starnes.com/grou...pe=2&limit=100

Did it really last 6 years? Wow. I remember when people said this was just a one-arc idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    This era has become one of my favorites. It’s fun, fascinating, engaging, and, ultimately, deeply moving. Does anybody else enjoy this period?

The reading list: https://cmro.travis-starnes.com/grou...pe=2&limit=100
    I only enjoyed it for the first half or so. Once the Stupid Wars relaunch happened Teen Scott was robbed of all semblance of competence and served only as a punching bag, except for those times he served as a hostage instead.

The first half was easily one of my favorite periods, but the latter is without a doubt the absolute worst.
    Dark does not mean deep.

God, were we really stuck in that rut for six years?

It was enjoyable for the first year or two, after that it dragged on unnecessarily, and its crossovers were weak. Battle for the Atom was terrible. It was an idea that never should've lasted longer than a year. Cosmic fire wings? Come on. I did like the Jeen miniseries but other than that I don't consider this a bright spot for the line. Beast became irredeemable during this period.

Absolutely disliked it! Unfortunately, I think Bendis writing here was horrible. Sorry.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    Did it really last 6 years? Wow. I remember when people said this was just a one-arc idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    God, were we really stuck in that rut for six years?
    I was kinda taken aback at how long it was.

But to the OP's question, I did enjoy Bendis' take on the concept. I mean at that point in X-history a lot of crazy **** had happened; so how would the youthful original five take it to learn what everyone had gone through and had become.

However, as that era went on you can start seeing the cogs turn in editorial and Marvel's mind: let's try to replace the older generation with the younger ones and maybe the fans will dig it.

And once it was revealed there was no real plan in place to deal with the the time travel shenanigans well then the bottom fell out.

Maybe it’s because I read this entire era in the span of a month, but it all connected beautifully for me. Extermination was a perfect ending, IMO.

Interesting one-arc idea that was pushed out so far it ruined everything.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Interesting one-arc idea that was pushed out so far it ruined everything.
    It did not, you little minx!

One of my favorite Jean and Scott scenes ever:

Maybe it’s because I read this entire era in the span of a month, but it all connected beautifully for me. Extermination was a perfect ending, IMO.
    Extermination would have been better if they had allowed Scott any examples of looking like he belonged on a superhero team, but his last two years his purpose was reduced to being nearly killed every so often in order to cause Jeen some angst. He was stripped of every last shred of agency in the story and reduced to refrigerator-boy. They would have been more honest to strip the X off of his costume and replace it with a target. That's the era that made me drop all Marvel titles.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Extermination would have been better if they had allowed Scott any examples of looking like he belonged on a superhero team, but his last two years his purpose was reduced to being nearly killed every so often in order to cause Jeen some angst. He was stripped of every last shred of agency in the story and reduced to refrigerator-boy. They would have been more honest to strip the X off of his costume and replace it with a target. That's the era that made me drop all Marvel titles.
    I understand why you would feel that way. His progression was more emotional, which is probably why I love it so.

It did not, you little minx!
    Lol, I've never been called that before.

Not everything as in within the X-Books, just within it's own narrative. Admittedly I haven't read everything in that era, and it's been a while, so I'll grant that there were bound to be good things in there.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.