Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

I hope this doesn’t mean that Grant Morrison won’t be doing much DC work in the future. Didio and Grant seemed to have a great working relationship to the point that Grant had an open contract and could pretty much undertake any project he was interested in. His run on Green Lantern has been great. I just hope this doesn’t dissuade him from pitching new DC projects.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I hope this doesn’t mean that Grant Morrison won’t be doing much DC work in the future. Didio and Grant seemed to have a great working relationship to the point that Grant had an open contract and could pretty much undertake any project he was interested in. His run on Green Lantern has been great. I just hope this doesn’t dissuade him from pitching new DC projects.
    Except sometimes that has caused a lot of problems for other DC creative teams. For example, during his New 52 run on Action Comics where they basically neglected to tell George Perez anything Grant was doing on Action and expected George to tailor what he was doing to what Grant was doing. It eventually led to Perez's exit from DC and continued sour relationship with the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    This is the biggest key, imo. Not Didio's ideas or even the toxic workplace. DC simply didn't have the same pool of talent that Marvel did/does. What's the saying, "winning cures everything"? Same could be said about sales and distribution of money. If DC had the depth of top level talent, maybe they actually do outsell Marvel and everyone is just pleased as pie making more money, and can overlook all the negative aspects of working for DC?
    I really doubt the higher-ups as WB or AT&T measure the talent pool of DC.

However, they can and do measure if a department suddenly starts bleeding people, especially senior (that is, hard to replace) people. And a poor work environment that makes people quit is also a work environment that runs a risk of lawsuits, something which they definitely wants to avoid.

And one of the prime drivers for getting the talent is having a good work environment. Talent scouting and detection is one of the things every editor at a place like DC needs to do, but it's also low on the priority list compared to getting the next issue out on time. With a poor work environment, it's much more likely to fall by the wayside. Or, wrost case, the editor knows that the creator will have a better chance to develop with another publisher.

I'm sure there might be more stuff that lies behind DiDio's removal from office, probably including pissing off people above him. But I'm also fairly sure that Bleeding Cool got the basics right, and it certainly fits with many of the stories we have heard and are hearing about him.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The Flash is the guy who runs fast in DC. Beyond that, unless they're already into the lore and know there's a Kid Flash, non-readers don't care. I didn't care before I read comics. Barry or Wally made no difference to me. The Flash is the fastest man alive, and that's all I was concerned about.
    This is very false.

People act as if Main stream comics is the only place that have Legacy, on-going stories, or characters who are incredibly similar in nature. While properties Ranging from Dragon Ball to freaking Young and the Restless hold the same concepts and lines of story telling that fits their medium.

Side Bar: I'm sorry to say that anyone who believes that comics will be around to supposedly uplift an IP or so they can continue to mine stories, aren't being realistic. You can only loose money for so long before you either change what your doing or close shop entirely.

AT&T already said " THERE ARE NO SACRED COWS" when they signed up/bought/joined with Warner Bros and DC COMICS. I get that we all have and idolize view of these characters as some how being above it or special but the TRUTH of the matter is that these titles and characters are PRODUCTS to make people money so they can be successful and live there lives . They are forms of entertainment to be consumed IF they continue to prove WORTHY of the consumers method of TRADE.

Just like WESTERNS, MONSTER FILMS/COMIC, and Several other STORY methods they can be abused, worn out , and then TOSSED TO THE SIDE. If anything with the state of the comic industry the Movie/animation side will burn the whole franchise out and if the stories will/are not good enough to keep people interested when this PHASE of Pop Culture is over.

So no the Movies, TV Shows, or whatever else is not going to save this industry.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-23-2020 at 05:56 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't agree. When i ask people who flash is. they say, the guy that run and jokes. people who currently know are because of cw show. Even then internet has changed the game. Anyone who has become a fan that route and cares enough to just search. Would find wally and jay.
    Well, don't hold your breath about Wally taking over again, because I have a feeling you will turn blue in the face.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Well, don't hold your breath about Wally taking over again, because I have a feeling you will turn blue in the face.
    I don't particularly care. Barry alone doesn't interest me.Besides, the suggestion was to make use of Earth-1985. Otherwise its just redundant.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-23-2020 at 05:20 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't particularly care. Barry alone doesn't interest me.
    Understood. I guess we'll see what happens now.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    There was a kid in my family that I bought a "Kid Nova" tpb.
    I assume you mean Sam Alexander? He's not called KID Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker Venom View Post
    I'll take a hard pass on that. Last thing I'd want to see is Disney getting their mitts on the DC Universe. What needs to happen to save the industry is publishers focusing on telling good stories, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every couple of years.
    That's not going to happen anyway. Disney wouldn't be interested unless they also got the TV and movie rights, which there's zero chance of WB selling.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    It's story telling about men and women with imaginary powers, in a universe that now currently has a multi-verse. If they wanted to work they could have.
    The show debuted alongside Arrow season 3. The first two seasons of Arrow didn't really deal with super powers. They wanted to create a Flash show set in that world. They wanted to introduce the Flash mythos to a brand new audience. They wanted to do that by starting at the beginning, with Flash still learning about his powers, introducing each new villain and concept one at a time. They didn't want to start in media res.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    If they did buy DC, which is unlikely because then I think the government would have to intervene cuz they'd officially become a monopoly,
    They wouldn't. Diamond is a monopoly too, but the government doesn't intervene as it just sees them as another magazine distributor. They make no distinction between comic books and other periodicals. As such, Marvel and DC having the same owner and dominating the comic book industry won't be seen as a problem, because they don't dominate the magazine market.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The show debuted alongside Arrow season 3. The first two seasons of Arrow didn't really deal with super powers. They wanted to create a Flash show set in that world. They wanted to introduce the Flash mythos to a brand new audience. They wanted to do that by starting at the beginning, with Flash still learning about his powers, introducing each new villain and concept one at a time. They didn't want to start in media res.
    BRO, the main take away from my post that you should latch onto is that if they WANTED it to work they could have. How they did it or what was going on at the time doesn't matter. There are so many different avenues that could be taken for these characters, that keeps true to the brand, the characters themselves, and the FAN BASE without the company cutting off their nose to spite their face.

To say that only one way would have or could have worked in this genre is short sighted to say the least.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member

BRO, the main take away from my post that you should latch onto is that if they WANTED it to work they could have. How they did it or what was going on at the time doesn't matter. There are so many different avenues that could be taken for these characters, that keeps true to the brand, the characters themselves, and the FAN BASE without the company cutting off their nose to spite their face.

To say that only one way would have or could have worked in this genre is short sighted to say the least.
    They wanted to make a Flash show, set in the Arrow universe, starting from the beginning of the story. Barry Allen suited those purposes better than Wally West.

If they wanted to do something completely different, then they could have done something completely different. But they didn't want to. They wanted to start with a clean slate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    They wanted to make a Flash show, set in the Arrow universe, starting from the beginning of the story. Barry Allen suited those purposes better than Wally West.

If they wanted to do something completely different, then they could have done something completely different. But they didn't want to. They wanted to start with a clean slate.
    You just agreed with me right here.

They WANTED Barry Allen so that is what they did inspite of everything else. You could tell Wally West, Bart Allen, Heck even Jesse Chambers stories as the FLASH in the Arrow Verse that still connected all the "important" characters in that franchise as a CLEAN SLATE without disrespecting or pushing aside the characters and the fan base.

Heck, I can think of a perfect story in the Arrowverse right now that would have justified Dan Didio accidentally racist Kid Flash being the Flash with same core story beats in that universe that would still work. That would still have Barry at one point being a costumed crime fighter but leading it with the audience believing Wallace was the first in the first and the second episode .

But they didn't want it to work with Wally or any other character. They WANTED Barry and that is the only thing the kept it from being anyone else.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-23-2020 at 07:12 AM.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I assume you mean Sam Alexander? He's not called KID Nova.

That's not going to happen anyway. Disney wouldn't be interested unless they also got the TV and movie rights, which there's zero chance of WB selling.
    Disney has no reason to buy in the first place seeing as Superman and Batman will hit public domain in a decade anyways. Granted they wont have what came later but will be fully able to utilize their own Batman and Superman assuming legislation doesn't change again.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member

You just agreed with me right here.

They WANTED Barry Allen so that is what they did inspite of everything else. You could tell Wally West, Bart Allen, Heck even Jesse Chambers stories as the FLASH in the Arrow Verse that still connected all the "important" characters in that franchise as a CLEAN SLATE without disrespecting or pushing aside the characters and the fan base.
    If they did a Wally West Flash series there would be a lot to address:

1. How long ago did Barry Allen become the Flash?
    2. How long ago did Wally West become Kid Flash?
    3. How many super-villains are active? Which ones?
    4. How did Barry die?
    5. How long ago did Barry die?
    6. How long has Wally been The Flash?
    7. Is it publicly known that Kid Flash is the new Flash?
    8. Why has nobody ever mentioned any of these guys in Arrow, where costumed vigilantes are treated as a new thing and super-powers are unheard of?

A Bart Allen Flash series? Even more issues.

Why jump through any of these hoops? What is the advantage? The show runners took the path of least resistance and started at the beginning, with a Flash who wasn't front-loaded with lore.