Page 386 of 434 FirstFirst ... 286336376382383384385386387388389390396 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,790 of 6499
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    If Cerebro can’t detect Moira’s X-Gene, then how could Sentinels? Her ability cloaks her from everyone, even other mutants.
    Maybe Cerebro can't, but that doesn't mean there aren't ways to detect it. All mutants have a weird "energy signal" that can be traced, one way or another. So, one way or another, she would have been discovered. Destiny was capable to discover it, so others can too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Maybe Cerebro can't, but that doesn't mean there aren't ways to detect it. All mutants have a weird "energy signal" that can be traced, one way or another. So, one way or another, she would have been discovered. Destiny was capable to discover it, so others can too.
    uh yeah MUTANT precogs...
    and they prob werent lining up to join up with the Sentinels in helping humanity wipe out mutants
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    sure, you do have a point, we had enough mutant genocides to last us a lifetime, having said that I still don't believe that a x-men franchise carrying a message that says "coexistence is impossible and should not be sought " is something worth celebrating
    I agree, though I suppose it doesn't help that that's the sort of message quite a number of the writers seem to be celebrating and parading around with if anything. Some people can get cynical in believing relatively decent coexistence is impossible, and that even the smallest amount of progress is pointless, all they want, and that they might mockingly proclaim that beyond the roofs the day the writers decide to massively grow the mutant population only to then write a genocide 10 times as bigger than Genosha for all I know, but I'm never going to believing in the possibility of Earth-616 being convincingly written in a way that, while still having a presence of bigotry, also has the potential to have mutants live on Earth-616 in a relatively decent and peaceful existence while still combating against all sorts of threats.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 10-10-2019 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    but I'm never going to believing in the possibility of Earth-616 being convincingly written in a way that, while still having a presence of bigotry, also has the potential to have mutants live on Earth-616 in a relatively decent and peaceful existence while still combating against all sorts of threats.
    Why not... that's pretty much describes whats going on in our 'reality' lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    uh yeah MUTANT precogs...
    and they prob werent lining up to join up with the Sentinels in helping humanity wipe out mutants
    There are many mutants who hate mutants, because they see themselves as "humans turned into monsters". There was once when Superior Spider-Man and Magneto rescued a young powerful mutant from AIM, whose family was killed because he was a mutant. He swore revenge against mutantkind for ruining his life.

There are many mutants who hate mutants, because they see themselves as "humans turned into monsters". There was once when Superior Spider-Man and Magneto rescued a young powerful mutant from AIM, whose family was killed because he was a mutant. He swore revenge against mutantkind for ruining his life.
    well thats just one example..... and his parents were killed by human scientists.....preeeety sure once he grows up hed realize mutants had nothing to do with his parents being killed. Itd be a streeeeeetch thinking his hatred would continue
    GrindrStone(D)

I think the Isolationist is the most likely to sabotage Kroaka. You don't need a mutant precog to side against the X-Men. One existing is all that's needed to give him that ability, as well.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Why not... that's pretty much describes whats going on in our 'reality' lol
    You'd be surprised at some of the kinds of people I've come across online. They talk to me with the way of thinking that the world has gotten so bad for minorities, that the world is on the brink of World War III, and that a lot of defensive violence has to be used to combat against and destroy all the bad people involved as much as possible, like how it was in World War II, and they apply this same logic to Earth-616 and how it's pointless to keep on fighting the good fight in hoping for the best since so many people are destructive, and hateful, and unrepentant. It's as if they think that civil rights activists like Martin Luther King made no progress at all, and that Professor X, who is said to have been created because of MLK, won't ever be better at it either.

For me though, I find it fortunate that I don't... fall into that way of thinking.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    You'd be surprised at some of the kinds of people I've come across online. They talk to me with the way of thinking that the world has gotten so bad for minorities, that the world is on the brink of World War III, and that a lot of defensive violence has to be used to combat against and destroy all the bad people involved as much as possible, like how it was in World War II, and they apply this same logic to Earth-616 and how it's pointless to keep on fighting the good fight in hoping for the best since so many people are destructive, and hateful, and unrepentant. It's as if they think that civil rights activists like Martin Luther King made no progress at all, and that Professor X, who is said to have been created because of MLK, won't ever be better at it either.

For me though, I find it fortunate that I don't... fall into that way of thinking.
    We are a remnant. If not for the "Persona" series I would be well on the way to thinking and living life the way you described.

...it's pointless to keep on fighting the good fight in hoping for the best since so many people are destructive, and hateful, and unrepentant...
    To those who think that way I reply, "Shut UP, Adachi."
    Last edited by Londo Bellian; 10-10-2019 at 11:59 PM.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

So, in other words, Mutants did just doom themselves... Once more. They will eventually commit a big mistake, which will give humanity a chance to attack and stop them. Magneto and Xavier doomed themselves when they said "Let them try to stop us this time".
    I wouldn’t say that. This is all set-up. We have moved a long way in 12 issues. We started with it feeling like a new mutant nation designed to separate mutant kind from humanity, towards an attempt to change the circumstances that begin a shift in humanity itself.

The reflection of the mutant circumstances to humanity’s fate is mostly thematic, so Hickman can explore some of the themes now rather than in the far future. He is setting up tensions and potential problems but not necessarily the roots to failure. We need tensions and conflicts to help build a wider narrative that supports multiple books.

It feels highly unlikely that such a bleak future will be left to occur at the end of this run. Hickman probably has a solution in mind. If I had to guess I would suggest that eventually mutants realise that humanity is driven towards this feedback of post-humanity through fear, and that somehow that underlying fear needs to be addressed now, which eventually will bring us back to Charles’ dream.

It is notable how Moira seems predisposed to think of the problem as them Vs us. Perhaps it is Moira that is shaping this seemingly inevitable future? Her observer effect is having a direct effect on everything. Her radical approach this time may bring these issues to a head early.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-11-2019 at 12:35 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I think Moira is wary of precognition because her influence upon the world is immediately apparent to those with the ability to see the future. Just like Destiny, they will be able to see Moira as the centre of the storm she creates.

I totally disagree with the idea that she has created the conflict between humans and mutants. Her life has been a journey from innocence to experience. She began in a sheltered life and in her second life her eyes were opened by a familiar TV speech from a period quite late in the story of the X-Men, a story very much focused on a conflict already in full swing. That wasn’t a random choice by Hickman. She could have been introduced to the issues in many different ways.

Moira clearly didn’t begin this whole Mutant Vs Human problem. But she may have inadvertently shaped it.

(Saying that, because Moira did recognise Charles, maybe she had a subtle effect upon him. Maybe at some point we will get a flashback that allows us to see if they interacted in any way.)
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-11-2019 at 12:56 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

This series has been amazing to read.

I can't begin to enumerate all the ways this book delights me, because I'm still processing it.

I did have a few quick thoughts to put out there:

Many posters are correctly commenting on the 'creepiness' factor.
    It's probably been mentioned already, but not enough, that the creepiness is real and intentional.
    Hickman is using the X-men's history, and Moira's lives, to promote the acceleration of radical changes in a way that is justified and logical to the objective observer.

But he's also deliberately making specific choices (the pods, the resurrections, the isolationism & posturing, the secrets, the way the X-men 'sound' and carry themselves) to heighten our sense of uneasiness about these developments. To make them feel slightly sinister.

It's like he's using our familiarity and playing with it - it's fucking brilliant.

----

This might come off a bit dismissive.
    When you're trying to achieve something massive and difficult, and you fail 9 times straight, that doesn't mean the goal is impossible.

The extreme effort that Moira has put forth to prevent the extinction of her species is incredible and not lost on me.
    Even so, I don't think that peaceful coexistence is necessarily a foregone conclusion.
    It's tempting to jump on the all-is-lost train, but I'm not ready to buy that ticket just yet.

While I may not fully agree with the current 'separatist' approach, I understand it and I'm glad to be reading about something different.
    Mutants should be standing up for themselves (in non-genocidal ways), and doing more than going home after fighting the super villain of the week.
    For the first time in a long time, I'm excited to see how it all plays out.

Pax Krakoa
    Last edited by Striderblack01; 10-11-2019 at 05:56 AM.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

I wonder, will mutants not living on Krakoa who have committed crimes be allowed to reject their version of "diplomatic immunity"? Because I can imagine many would rather take their chance in a proper court than be judged by the likes of Apocalypse, Sinister, and Exodus, especially with the precedent set by Sabretooth's trial where the council can just make up laws on the fly and retroactively punish mutants for breaking them.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

There was a SSM/Magneto team-up? Which book?
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Destiny only found her out bc she invented the mutant cure. Irene says in that scene Moira is undetectable by psychics and it stands to reason she's undetectable by technology too since she's never been attacked by Sentinels.

The entire 'starting her life over' + being cloaked from technology/psychics makes me wonder if Moira's powers are derived from the Siege Perilous? Someone get Claremont on the phone.