Page 83 of 123 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1836

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    5 years, Kamala debuted in 2014 and celebrated her five year anniversary six months ago.
    No Kamala debuted in 2013, so its been 6 years. She took on the mantle in 2014 which is what that anniversary is about

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikaelNovasun View Post
    From a marketing stand point it makes the most sense for Marvel to keep the Psylocke named tied to the Jim Lee redesign/Kwannon body. Ask anyone that is a casual fan or someone only vaguely familiar with the X-Men who Psylocke is and they will reference some variation of her 90's Iconic look. The merchandise be it statues, figures, art prints, or video games going back almost 30 years, has cemented in most people's psyche the iconic 90's design. Despite what people on this board may think, to the casual fan Psylocke isn't Betsy Braddock or Kwannon, Psylocke is a swim suit clad ninja with psychic powers possibly Asian or half-Asian.

Betsy went by Psylocke in her original body from 1986-1989(not quite 3 years), before that she was briefly Captain Britain when the title relaunched in 1986. From 1989 until recently the Psylocke code name has been tied to Kwannon's body. How Asian she was depicted varied by artist, but her costume stayed close to Jim Lee's original design more often than not until the relaunched Uncanny X-Force(2013).

If anything Kwannon has more ownership of the Psylocke codename than Laura(X-23) did with Wolverine. After all Betsy was running around with Kwannon's body for most of time her with the X-Men. Considering the 616's condensed time line Betsy joined the X-Men and went by the codename in her original body for what....a few months before the Siege Perilous then inhabiting Kwannon's body for years.

Here is something I hope the Fallen Angel comic and Excalibur to a smaller extent touches on: So Kwannon died to the legacy virus but somehow enough of her soul survived in her original body for both Betsy and Kwannon to resurrect themselves during Logan's return. Was Kwannon like some type of back seat observer to Betsy, or did she have some influence on Betsy(Betsy's struggle with killing/thrill seeking/death defying)? What about her romance with Warren. When Betsy first joined the X-Men, Warren treated her harshly. It wasn't until she was body swapped that they took an interest in each other.

I am really looking forward to see where both Betsy and Kwannon go from here. The change really opens up new character growth for both of them, in Kwannon's case any growth all at.
    I'm with you. Ask people to describe Psylocke, and you'll get that she's a lethal antihero with a dark past seeking redemption.

Why would Betsy even want to be Psylocke? That's a codename she had during dark times. She was miserable and addicted to murder and she's been going away from that for the last few years. Betsy nowadays has found redemption. She makes more sense being on XMEN team being righteous than being on XFORCE being ruthless. That's like Jean wanting to be hero but going by Dark Phoenix instead of a more positive name.

Captain Britain also allows Betsy to join the MCU in a respected position without any of the baggage of "isn't Psylocke Asian?"

Psylocke only became popular when fans started thinking she was always asian anyway.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 08-10-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Why would Betsy even want to be Psylocke? That's a codename she had during dark times. She was miserable and addicted to murder and she's been going away from that for the last few years.
    Lol, this is ridiculous. Maybe because she was Psylocke for the vast majority of her comic book history, long before "addicted to murder" crap? And what sense does it make for Kwannon to be Psylocke?

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Lol, this is ridiculous. Maybe because she was Psylocke for the vast majority of her comic book history, long before "addicted to murder" crap? And what sense does it make for Kwannon to be Psylocke?
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I'm with you. Ask people to describe Psylocke, and you'll get that she's a lethal antihero with a dark past seeking redemption.

Why would Betsy even want to be Psylocke? That's a codename she had during dark times. She was miserable and addicted to murder and she's been going away from that for the last few years. Betsy nowadays has found redemption. She makes more sense being on XMEN team being righteous than being on XFORCE being ruthless. That's like Jean wanting to be hero but going by Dark Phoenix instead of a more positive name.

Captain Britain also allows Betsy to join the MCU in a respected position without any of the baggage of "isn't Psylocke Asian?"

Psylocke only became popular when fans started thinking she was always asian anyway.
    Using that logic, why should she want to be Captain Britain? She was Captain Britain when she suffered a horrendous defeat at the hands of Slaymaster where her eyes were gouged out and she was Captain Britain again when she murdered her brother.
    Last edited by Psyknight; 08-10-2019 at 02:23 PM.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Just popping in to express my appreciation for Psylocke no longer wearing yellowface, and that she's taken the mantle of Captain Britain from her abusive, weirdo brother.

I also don't get what's so good about her supposed respected position in the MCU if it removes her role as an X-Man, which is like 95% of her publishing history.
    Last edited by Psy-lock; 08-10-2019 at 02:32 PM.

I also don't get what's so good about her supposed respected position in the MCU if it removes her role as an X-Man, which is like 95% of her publishing history.
    I might be misinterpreting what the OP said on Betsy getting a respected position in the MCU but I think they are probably alluding to the fact that Betsy as an X-character has less of a chance of being on screen since the go-to telepaths are always Charles, Jean and then Emma. However, her as a Captain Britain character would give her more screen time/ be more important and hence "respectable".

Quote Originally Posted by CrystaliaArmadia View Post
    I might be misinterpreting what the OP said on Betsy getting a respected position in the MCU but I think they are probably alluding to the fact that Betsy as an X-character has less of a chance of being on screen since the go-to telepaths are always Charles, Jean and then Emma. However, her as a Captain Britain character would give her more screen time/ be more important and hence "respectable".
    The problem is that she has only one story as Captain Britain so far. The one where she gets beaten and blinded by Slaymaster. All of her best stories are with the X-Men. What good is this supposed importance if she has almost nothing to do with Betsy from the comics? And it's questionable if it's actually an upgrade. Captain Britain never had a particularly respectable position outside of Marvel UK stories, Psylocke is definitely a more popular and iconic character.

3 years is a long history? In 1986 when joining up with the X-Men is the first time Betsy used the Psylocke code name. In 1989 she was reimaged by Jim Lee, as a Japanese woman(Kwannon's body). For almost 3 decades Psylocke was a British woman trapped in a Japanese woman's body who enjoyed thrill seeking, and defying death. Granted her struggle with killing really wasn't part of her character until the 2000's. And maybe trapped isn't the right the word, but Betsy eventually accepted the change forced on her until she recently created a new body for herself(her original appearance).

To be honest from a story perspective I feel it would make sense for both Betsy and Kwannon to abandon the Psylocke code name since it is tied to their bodies being swapped, but from a marketing stand point as I stated earlier it is a clever move by Marvel. They get to keep the marketability of both the name Psylocke and what is without question her most iconic look tied together, while doing away with the baggage of the body swap(Asian but isn't, etc) in today's culture. It also allows them to use Betsy's popularity with the more serious comic fans to develop her in a new direction, and bring something new to Captain Britain/Excalibur.

3 years is a long history? In 1986 when joining up with the X-Men is the first time Betsy used the Psylocke code name. In 1989 she was reimaged by Jim Lee, as a Japanese woman(Kwannon's body). For almost 3 decades Psylocke was a British woman trapped in a Japanese woman's body who enjoyed thrill seeking, and defying death. Granted her struggle with killing really wasn't part of her character until the 2000's. And maybe trapped isn't the right the word, but Betsy eventually accepted the change forced on her until she recently created a new body for herself(her original appearance).

To be honest from a story perspective I feel it would make sense for both Betsy and Kwannon to abandon the Psylocke code name since it is tied to their bodies being swapped, but from a marketing stand point as I stated earlier it is a clever move by Marvel. They get to keep the marketability of both the name Psylocke and what is without question her most iconic look tied together, while doing away with the baggage of the body swap(Asian but isn't, etc) in today's culture. It also allows them to use Betsy's popularity with the more serious comic fans to develop her in a new direction, and bring something new to Captain Britain/Excalibur.
    I still don't get what her codename has to do with the bodyswap and killing addiction. These things are not related to each other.

No, more like 24 years. Psylocke didnt become identified with murder until Uncanny X-Force in 2010. As you yourself mention, it wasnt a part of her character for the bulk of her history

I still don't get what her codename has to do with the bodyswap and killing addiction. These things are not related to each other.
    It doesn't. I only bought it up because of the possible implications bought about by the way Betsy and Kwannon were restored to their original appearances. Kwannon died not long after the body swap in Betsy's original body from the legacy virus. Betsy helped her soul move on/depart, at least that was the way it seemed at the time. But we learn that apparently that wasn't the case because there was enough of Kwannon's soul still present for both her and Betsy to come back from near death or whatever that was in the Hunt for Wolverine. That would seem to imply that the entire time Betsy's mind/soul was in Kwannon's body that at least a part of Kwannon's soul/psyche was also present. So my question was how much influence, if any, did that piece/part of Kwannon have on Betsy.
    Last edited by MikaelNovasun; 08-12-2019 at 06:11 AM.

It doesn't. I only bought it up because of the possible implications bought about by the way Betsy and Kwannon were restored to their original appearances. Kwannon died not long after the body swap in Betsy's original body from the legacy virus. Betsy helped her soul move on/depart, at least that was the way it seemed at the time. But we learn that apparently that wasn't the case because there was enough of Kwannon's soul still present for both her and Betsy to come back from near death or whatever that was in the Hunt for Wolverine. That would seem to imply that the entire time Betsy's mind/soul was in Kwannon's body that at least a part of Kwannon's soul/psche was also present. So my question was how much influence, if any, did that piece/part of Kwannon have on Betsy.
    Betsy hasnt been in Kwannon's body since X-treme X-men in 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Even then it wasn't her body. The bodies were completely destroyed once they went through Spirals bodyshoppe. She made 2 new bodies that were almost indistinguishable. She mixed the womens DNA, powers and memories. It was a mess but both their original bodies have been gone since the Siege Perilous.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Technically true, but honestly that’s splitting a hair. Unless Kwannon begins Fallen Angels complaining about her naturally purple hair, I don’t think this continuity wrinkle matters.