Page 81 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1265

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    I mean, Strange says Thor would revert back to his previous state before Odin gave him the power. There is no indication it ever went back to Odin. It's recharged via the Odinsleep
    it's my headcanon because Odin did some crazy things after he was brought back from the dead.

I don't understand your statement about Agent of Asgard

Where in Original Sin is that? I read the whole series and I don't recall. Was that in the Tenth Realm mini?
    in Agent of Asgard, Odin couldn't use the Odinforce or something because it was almost fully depleted or something and Freya asked Odin if Odinforce was charged up or something.

as for Original Sin, during Asgard vs Heven war, it was a stalemate until Odin's power rose up when he got pissed which is weird why he didn't do it immediately so I took it that he wasn't at 100% until the Queen of Angels killed his daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    it's my headcanon because Odin did some crazy things after he was brought back from the dead.

in Agent of Asgard, Odin couldn't use the Odinforce or something because it was almost fully depleted or something and Freya asked Odin if Odinforce was charged up or something.

as for Original Sin, during Asgard vs Heven war, it was a stalemate until Odin's power rose up when he got pissed which is weird why he didn't do it immediately so I took it that he wasn't at 100% until the Queen of Angels killed his daughter.
    Ok gotcha. Didn't read that mini. But yes in general Odinforce is recharged during Odinsleep. But that's assuming Odin (or Thor) is in possession of it. Which hasn't been clear since JMS run

Ok gotcha. Didn't read that mini. But yes in general Odinforce is recharged during Odinsleep. But that's assuming Odin (or Thor) is in possession of it. Which hasn't been clear since JMS run
    oh yeah, I know.

even future King Thor was fighting Gorr's army for years without falling in to Odinsleep.
    I guess they ignore that completely.
    Last edited by GodThor; 07-11-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    A great summary

My only question is regarding Dr strange fixing mjolnir

As I understand it he used Thor's life force, why Thor was at threat of it broke

Not sure if that is the effective same as the odinforce but I think it was not

My understanding is not clear I admit
    This keeps coming up, but no writer will feel obliged to use this again. Mjolnir was only broken because of Thor bringing back Blake and the warning Strange gives Thor is related to Thor’s mortality. It linked Mjolnir to Thor dying, and reduced the power of Thor because lets face it he was overpowered.

Now bear in mind JMS’s plan would have been to work towards some kind of climax in which Thor probably died or was close to it and tie that into Mjolnir somehow. What did Fraction do? He did exactly that. Thor died, Mjolnir was on his funeral pyre, he is forgotten and replaced, and he undergoes an otherworldly quest to avoid oblivion. Effectively both Thor and Mjolnir died and came back anew. The promise of that thread was used up at that point. Not explicitly, but thematically. There is no real thread left hanging afterwards. Unless a writer really wants to use the idea of Mjolnir having some of Thor’s essence and power inside Mjolnir, it will never be referenced again.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-11-2019 at 10:52 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    This keeps coming up, but no writer will feel obliged to use this again. Mjolnir was only broken because of Thor bringing back Blake and the warning Strange gives Thor is related to Thor’s mortality. It linked Mjolnir to Thor dying, and reduced the power of Thor because lets face it he was overpowered.

Now bear in mind JMS’s plan would have been to work towards some kind of climax in which Thor probably died or was close to it and tie that into Mjolnir somehow. What did Fraction do? He did exactly that. Thor died, Mjolnir was on his funeral pyre, he is forgotten and replaced, and he undergoes an otherworldly quest to avoid oblivion. Effectively both Thor and Mjolnir died and came back anew. The promise of that thread was used up at that point. Not explicitly, but thematically. There is no real thread left hanging afterwards. Unless a writer really wants to use the idea of Mjolnir having some of Thor’s essence and power inside Mjolnir, it will never be referenced again.
    But the hammer wasn't destroyed in the battle vs Cul...I'm not even totally sure Thor actually died. Yeah they had him on the pyre but he also said he fell into the interdimensional rift that was in his body. And then you have Donald Blake with the cane/Mjolnir-in-disguise...Fraction didn't really spell a lot out, which I personally find a bit frustrating. Either way, I'm not so much concerned about the hammer being destroyed and reborn with the Cul episode as I'm wondering what really happened to the Odinforce. It's now apparent to me that the waters are murky enough that whatever the next Thor writer wants to do with Odin and Thor, it's not really going to be an obvious contradiction of anything else. Kind of sad because JMS seemed to have a pretty straightforward notion of what he wanted to do with elements of the mythos...not so much with Fraction.

Extraordinary Member

Would not a better explanation be that the part of Thir inside the hammer is what prevented him actually dying and allowed him to return?

And that, having be used as a tether was the reabsorbed into him, ending the link.

Still doesn’t explain all the MOTHERSTORM retconning nonsense LOL
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Actually, thinking about it, would it really have made such a big difference if the motherstorm were never part of the story?

Sure, a few things minor things would have needed altering. But really it was a secondary point at best. It seemed to have more value as another dig at “male power” than anything else.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Saritta

I keep wondering why among all the characters that were there, they had to kill Brunnhilde.

Quote Originally Posted by Saritta View Post
    I keep wondering why among all the characters that were there, they had to kill Brunnhilde.
    To make way for Jane to be a powered character. Not that I agree necessarily...not sure how I feel about it. Brunnhilde has a history with the Defenders...I guess Aaron +/- Ewing felt that Jane was more relatable and that she'd been so developed over the years that she deserved to continue in a powered capacity. I personally favor the more fanciful characters in fiction, I don't need a human. I'd rather read about what it's like to be an immortal Asgardian. I'd rather read a story about Transformers on Cybertron (or elsewhere in space) than dealing with humans on Earth. To me, that's all a part of the escapism. Whatever psychological, sociological, theological, ethical etc studies can be done without the human context

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Would not a better explanation be that the part of Thir inside the hammer is what prevented him actually dying and allowed him to return?

And that, having be used as a tether was the reabsorbed into him, ending the link.
    Interpret it in any way that allows us to stop obsessing over something that was abandoned when JMS left Marvel and Fraction picked up the threads without particularly caring about what went before. Now we have a new Mjolnir forged by Thor, so it’s all academic anyway.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

But the hammer wasn't destroyed in the battle vs Cul...I'm not even totally sure Thor actually died. Yeah they had him on the pyre but he also said he fell into the interdimensional rift that was in his body. And then you have Donald Blake with the cane/Mjolnir-in-disguise...Fraction didn't really spell a lot out, which I personally find a bit frustrating. Either way, I'm not so much concerned about the hammer being destroyed and reborn with the Cul episode as I'm wondering what really happened to the Odinforce. It's now apparent to me that the waters are murky enough that whatever the next Thor writer wants to do with Odin and Thor, it's not really going to be an obvious contradiction of anything else. Kind of sad because JMS seemed to have a pretty straightforward notion of what he wanted to do with elements of the mythos...not so much with Fraction.
    Of course he died. The whole event was about him dying. How much more dead can you be than being forgotten by your mother?

What happened to the Odinforce is some of the writers didn’t like it and de-emphasised it. It was never supposed to be all-powerful and Oeming made it some crazy cosmic force that messed everything up. JMS used the broken hammer to get rid of a huge chunk of the Rune-Thor power and since then it has been less important. Hooray.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-12-2019 at 06:23 AM.

Of course he died. The whole event was about him dying. How much more dead can you be than being forgotten by your mother?

What happened to the Odinforce is some of the writers didn’t like it and de-emphasised it. It was never supposed to be all-powerful and Oeming made it some crazy cosmic force that messed everything up. JMS used the broken hammer to get rid of a huge chunk of the Rune-Thor power and since then it has been less important. Hooray.
    C'mon, forgotten doesn't equal dead. Loki didn't forget.....anyways, Aaron's Old King Thor has the Thorforce. That's why Im wondering. Because it's presently absent. Obviously Thor having those powers today makes him overpowered and difficult to write for. Just want to see if Aaron will connect the dots or just leave it for some far off future after Odin dies

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

C'mon, forgotten doesn't equal dead. Loki didn't forget.....anyways, Aaron's Old King Thor has the Thorforce. That's why Im wondering. Because it's presently absent. Obviously Thor having those powers today makes him overpowered and difficult to write for. Just want to see if Aaron will connect the dots or just leave it for some far off future after Odin dies
    I wonder if it will be addressed in the next and final issue of Thor. It seems as if Thor gets either the Odinforce or Thorforce to rebuild Asgard and basically bring back the status quo.

I still don't know if Thor will his lost arm will ever come back or will we always have Thor looking like a fantasy version of Cable

Astonishing Member

Odinforce

Omnipotent Odin

Hyperbolic maybe, certainly power escalating reveals he isn't omnipotent

But when he was written first few decades only Galactus and the watcher really rivalled him

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Odinforce

Omnipotent Odin

Hyperbolic maybe, certainly power escalating reveals he isn't omnipotent

But when he was written first few decades only Galactus and the watcher really rivalled him
    Don't forget the Fourth Host! I think he had Uni-Mind with him too. They prevented the end of humanity, but they couldn't scratch the Celestials

Which brings up a good point. Does anyone know the Cosmic Hierarchy?

I assume it's

TOAA
    (*Beyonders)
    Living Tribunal (multiversal)
    Eternity (multiversal)
    Other abstracts
    Celestials
    Galactus
    Watchers
    Elder Gods
    Odin
    Other pantheons' gods