Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Is Hollywood Using Diversity To Justify Potentially Doomed Franchises?

Scott Mendolson

"Hollywood is using inclusivity and diversity as an alibi for rebooting outdated franchises and past-their-prime properties, setting an entire generation of “not a white guy” talent up to fail commercially."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=7b7bc83c3a3e

On one hand I can see where he is coming from. No one wanted another Charlie's Angels. On the other hand sometimes the talent is failed by the creatives like Star Trek Discovery. Sometimes everything is terrible like in Terminatorark Fate
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Sadly I am thinking ...yes.

This Hollywood folks , keep using diversity as some random one sided political statement than a natural evolution of the world that is diverse based on good knowledge than shallow politics.

The should be making a Wizard of Earthsea trilogy. It's a classic series that was deliberately written with the main characters being of colour. Though perhaps it's not so well known any more?

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The should be making a Wizard of Earthsea trilogy. It's a classic series that was deliberately written with the main characters being of colour. Though perhaps it's not so well known any more?
    Is it toyetic?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Is it toyetic?
    Damn you for making me learn a new word!

And no, probably not.

BANNED

Diversity is better than seeing a cisgender white male in every role. Even today movies still don’t reflect the reality of our diverse society.

Is there a problem here. Hollywood always wants to revise older franchises. They also see the need to diversify more. I don't see most of these as inherently white. The Equalizer went from a white Brit to a black dude to a black female, nothing in the character or story makes these not work.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Scott Mendolson

"Hollywood is using inclusivity and diversity as an alibi for rebooting outdated franchises and past-their-prime properties, setting an entire generation of “not a white guy” talent up to fail commercially."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=7b7bc83c3a3e

On one hand I can see where he is coming from. No one wanted another Charlie's Angels. On the other hand sometimes the talent is failed by the creatives like Star Trek Discovery. Sometimes everything is terrible like in Terminatorark Fate
    Superman...they consider Superman outdated and past-his-prime as a property.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Diversity is better than seeing a cisgender white male in every role. Even today movies still don’t reflect the reality of our diverse society.
    But these sorts of reboots aren't really good faith honest attempts at diversity. They could push and serve diversity better by actually adapting already diverse characters and properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Damn you for making me learn a new word!

And no, probably not.
    What's really sad is that from now on whenever you start a new science fiction our fantasy property you will subconsciously scan for toyetic elements.

What's really sad is that from now on whenever you start a new science fiction our fantasy property you will subconsciously scan for toyetic elements.
    Toyetic luckily isn't always a barrier to quality. It doesn't help of course, but it doesn't always hurt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    It would reflect better if it wasn't a lazy attempt to refresh a property. Let's do a new Pirates movie but with all women. Let's make 007 just because. Make Captain Kirk bi because why not?

It doesn't add anything of value. If these things were done to add a different perspective then what we usually get I'll be all for it. As it stands we getting the same old stuff with a new coat of paint.

Ultimate Member

But are people complaining because they want things to be done right, or because their favorite IP isn't so monochrome anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Superman...they consider Superman outdated and past-his-prime as a property.
    Everyone working in Hollywood "Why would anyone with that much power not be a jerk?!"

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Honestly whenever Hollywood race changes or diversifies a reboot, I don't have the energy to argue if it's beneficial or not anymore to diversity. I'd rather just wait to see if it's actually good.