Incredible Member

Default Characters' Religions

Okay, so right off the bat, if I ask about this, the two most obvious things that come to mind are Daredevil and Nightcrawler being Catholic.

Also, I know both Ben Grimm and Kitty Pryde are at least ethnically Jewish. I'm not sure if they're actually shown to be practicing.

In the Marvel TV universe, at least, Punisher is a lapsed Catholic. I read something about Gambit being Catholic, which would seem to jive with the Bayou background.

Anything else ever referenced?

Also, while we're on the subject, I've seen certain comics with Nightcrawler wearing a Roman collar. Was he supposed to actually be in seminary at one point?
    Last edited by Slimybug; 01-09-2021 at 04:12 PM.

Magneto (Jewish) and Kamala Khan (Muslim) also come to mind.

I believe Ben Grimm is practicing; there was a storyline where he celebrated a second bar mitzvah on the 13th anniversary of the FF's flight. I don't know enough about Kate Pryde to say one way or the other.

There was definitely a storyline in Chuck Austen's X-Men where Nightcrawler becomes a priest, but it's for a very short time.

Ben and Kitty were shown celebrating Hanukkah with a bunch of other Jewish Marvel characters, so they're practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Although word of caution. That site isn't updated.

Neither Pietro or Wanda are ethnically Jewish. Last Wanda's religion was mentioned, it was Pagan. But I'm pretty sure it's been a while since that has been gone into and both siblings are changed a lot.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Although word of caution. That site isn't updated.

Neither Pietro or Wanda are ethnically Jewish. Last Wanda's religion was mentioned, it was Pagan. But I'm pretty sure it's been a while since that has been gone into and both siblings are changed a lot.
    I acntually am not sure RIGHT NOW what Pietro and Wanda’s religion is. Even if I have a small idea, it gets town out the window because of how they’re no longer Magneto’s kids.

But I was wondering when you said they’re not ETHNICALLY...are you counting them being Magneto’s kids or not? I was just wondering. If you’re not then I have no idea what their religion, cult, ethnicity, race they are, or group of people. And I’m not even a casual fan, so I can’t imagine how they feel.

I’m pretty sure all of the Fantastic Four(Dave The Thing)are Christian...specifically Catholic...except also Reed Richards... they show him sometimes being an atheist sometimes being Catholic but they can play it off as him being unsure in his faith because if I had seen the things Reed has seen along with his combine intelligence I would be unsure too. Scott Summers and Jean Grey are both Protestant-Christians. Rogue is Protestant-Christian(specifically Baptist). Gambit is some kind of Protestant. Dust is a Muslim. Professor X is Christian of some kind. Captain America is a Protestant Christian. Mister Sinister is an atheistic, and widely agrees with Darwinism ideaolidigies...and basically has no morals. That’s pretty much all I know for 100% off of the top of my head that would still be accurate today. I believe like just last year of early this year Kirk converted to some religion he created for Krakoa? Or something like that...it was real strange...

Quote Originally Posted by allthingzamasing View Post
    I acntually am not sure RIGHT NOW what Pietro and Wanda’s religion is. Even if I have a small idea, it gets town out the window because of how they’re no longer Magneto’s kids.

But I was wondering when you said they’re not ETHNICALLY...are you counting them being Magneto’s kids or not? I was just wondering. If you’re not then I have no idea what their religion, cult, ethnicity, race they are, or group of people. And I’m not even a casual fan, so I can’t imagine how they feel.

I’m pretty sure all of the Fantastic Four(Dave The Thing)are Christian...specifically Catholic...except also Reed Richards... they show him sometimes being an atheist sometimes being Catholic but they can play it off as him being unsure in his faith because if I had seen the things Reed has seen along with his combine intelligence I would be unsure too. Scott Summers and Jean Grey are both Protestant-Christians. Rogue is Protestant-Christian(specifically Baptist). Gambit is some kind of Protestant. Dust is a Muslim. Professor X is Christian of some kind. Captain America is a Protestant Christian. Mister Sinister is an atheistic, and widely agrees with Darwinism ideaolidigies...and basically has no morals. That’s pretty much all I know for 100% off of the top of my head that would still be accurate today. I believe like just last year of early this year Kirk converted to some religion he created for Krakoa? Or something like that...it was real strange...
    They are no longer Mags' kids, and he was the link to them being ethnically Jewish.

Their ethnicity is Roma. They were likely raised under Romanipe. Wanda became Pagan during Vision and the Scarlet Witch.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ben and Kitty were shown celebrating Hanukkah with a bunch of other Jewish Marvel characters, so they're practicing.

That is not the same thing. Practicing a faith and celebrating holidays is not the same thing
    Last edited by Tofali; 01-09-2021 at 08:48 PM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    They are no longer Mags' kids, and he was the link to them being ethnically Jewish.

Their ethnicity is Roma. They were likely raised under Romanipe. Wanda became Pagan during Vision and the Scarlet Witch.
    You're only Jewish if you're mother's Jewish, so technically Magneto wouldn't matter unless you know their mother's religion. I know the Roma in Spain is Christian-based, but each region is different I believe. It's a fictional world, so it would depend on the writer.

Of all the Marvel comics I've read, only two characters have had their religion be essential to who they are: Matt Murdock and Kamala Khan. I suppose an argument could be made for the Jewish mutants, but even then it's played more as them being ethnic Jews than observant ones.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    You're only Jewish if you're mother's Jewish, so technically Magneto wouldn't matter unless you know their mother's religion. I know the Roma in Spain is Christian-based, but each region is different I believe. It's a fictional world, so it would depend on the writer.
    They are Roma in Serbia. For Romani a lot have adopted different religions but pretty much all have some version of Romanipe. In the area that the twins were raised would have been predominately Muslim. But comics never depicted that.

Magda was Sinti Romani. Any other belief system she may have had was never known.

In the Marvel TV universe, at least, Punisher is a lapsed Catholic.
    He is in the comics as well and at one point was studying to become a priest before he ended up becoming the Punisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    That is not the same thing. Practicing a faith and celebrating holidays is not the same thing
    I don't know why you would celebrate a Jewish holiday if you weren't practicing to some extent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    He is in the comics as well and at one point was studying to become a priest before he ended up becoming the Punisher.
    Didn't he also become an angel? Or do we just not talk about that ?