Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default is NetFlix really that great?

My mom uses that service and while I do like the original content, the search engine algorithm leaves something to be desired. The other day I was searching for Leonardo Dicaprio movies and it gave me among other things a Western and a Christmas movie that wasn't even related or star Dicaprio. Plus there's a lot of movies they don't have on the platform. They lost the Marvel shows and they'll probably lose the Arroverse shows to HBO MAX or something...

It's fine. It's a solid all around service that has a pretty good user interface and makes pretty good original content. Its biggest boondoggle is that it is not owned by a larger company to automatically have access to a certain library.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I've been happy with the content. There's a lot of crap on there, but it's worth it to find all the gems that would never have gotten made otherwise.

The search function does leave a lot to be desired, though.

Ultimate Member

Netflix is fine.

Lots of garbage their but there are some gems too.

Their content is perfectly adequate and far more desirable than Disney Plus or HBO Max for my money.

Astonishing Member

Search Algorithm gets better the more you watch.

Is it that great? I think it's worth the money. But like all streaming services you get to a point where you're like "I've seen everything I want to watch".

I mean, it was probably better when they were getting more network shows and studio movies to show... that said, i think their original content stacks up well when compared to other streaming services. HBO Max has a bit of an edge in having all the HBO shows, some of which are among the best series of all time (Sopranos, the Wire, GoT, etc) ...but the HBO Max originals aren't all that much better than netflix' originals imo

I like it. The biggest problem now is that every movie company wants to get in on the idea and not have to share the profits so now everybody is starting their own streaming service assuming, I guess, that everybody will pay for twelve streaming services to get what they once could get on Netflix. Or that they'll go for whichever streaming service has the most content that they want.

To me, it just means that a bunch of DC and Marvel super shows will be shows I never see.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I like it. The biggest problem now is that every movie company wants to get in on the idea and not have to share the profits so now everybody is starting their own streaming service assuming, I guess, that everybody will pay for twelve streaming services to get what they once could get on Netflix. Or that they'll go for whichever streaming service has the most content that they want.

To me, it just means that a bunch of DC and Marvel super shows will be shows I never see.
    This is what everyone wanted though because with Cable you were force to get channels that you didn't want. Multiple services only seem bad to people who believe that under cable you got everything and sure if you were willing to spend 100 plus dollars yeah you got everything. Realistically what most people want when cable was a bigger thing is the 5 major players CBS,ABC,FOX,NBC and the CW then you pick other 5 to 10 channels you actual wanted. But Cable had a greedy tier system to prevent that so they could make more money. Just for fun I went and checked what price for cable cost now it was 25 dollars for basic(The stuff you can pick up for free with antenna) and 65 for the next tier and that price will be important later.

The only reason Cable is "dead" because they wouldn't do the thing they are doing now which is charging individually. CBS has Paramount+ (MTV,Nickelodeon,CBS Access), ABC/FOX has Hulu/Disney+, NBC has the Peacock, and CW is a free service. HBO has always been it own thing, along with Showtime,Starz, Cinemax and other premium channels. Netflix is premium channel on the level of HBO. And of course there is Amazon Prime Video, Apple tv and couple others. Now there is live tv and sports but we will leave that out for now. So being honest it is HBO (14.99),Netflix (8.99), Disney package (12.99) Paramont +( at least 9.99) Peacock plus(9.99) which comes up to about 56 dollars. The average American cable bill was 99 dollars so most people would still be quite a bit away from spending what they use to on cable even getting most services. And they are getting exactly the channels they want to watch. When I ever see comment on how bad it is why have so much services this what pops in my mind.

As for the topic as long Netflix has to spend produce twice as much content to make up for all content they are losing and hurriedly build up a back catalog they are going to be one of the better service if not the best. Netflix is absolute the best service at monthly putting out new content not everyone of those things are a hit but it is to have a wide variety as an option compared to the others who are depending their back catalog of things you have already seen. If you are like me you don't watch old stuff unless you can't find any new stuff to watch or have specific urge to watch something. A great backcatlog only matters to me if you have nothing new and if you have nothing new I can cancel, wait until stuff builds up re up and binge on them and then cancel again.HBO and Disney are great one month rentals. Netflix for me is only one that consistently drops enough new stuff to were I don't consider cut it.

Ironic today I saw this "Netflix promises at least one new movie every week in 2021"

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/12/2...on-zack-snyder
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-13-2021 at 01:32 AM.

With their shrinking classic library and growing original content it's turning into something you only need to subscribe to 2 months a year.

It's not what it was. Netflix Original was like an anti-mark-of-quality for ages - in theory they were rescuing productions abandoned and ignored by the studios, but in practice the reason for that was often obvious (e.g. Mute) - but they're doing better now, obviously targetting big hitters like Sorkin and Fincher for that sweet Oscar kudos.

The library, never massive in the UK, is quite diminished, though it's still a good one-stop-shop for lots of watchable series like Rick & Morty, Archer, Brooklyn 99, Schitt's Creek, etc. It was pretty obvious that Netflix's success would eventually result in the big studios seeing that and wanting to get into vertical integration with their own streaming platforms. This could actually prove to be a bloodbath, as studios that don't have a strong enough library on their own might find themself sidelined in this new world, with consumer unwilling to commit to any more streaming subscriptions than they already have. Wouldn't be entirely surprised if Netflix uses its increasingly supermassive financial black hole to snag a major studio weakened like this as a content supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    It's not what it was. Netflix Original was like an anti-mark-of-quality for ages - in theory they were rescuing productions abandoned and ignored by the studios, but in practice the reason for that was often obvious (e.g. Mute) - but they're doing better now, obviously targetting big hitters like Sorkin and Fincher for that sweet Oscar kudos.

The library, never massive in the UK, is quite diminished, though it's still a good one-stop-shop for lots of watchable series like Rick & Morty, Archer, Brooklyn 99, Schitt's Creek, etc. It was pretty obvious that Netflix's success would eventually result in the big studios seeing that and wanting to get into vertical integration with their own streaming platforms. This could actually prove to be a bloodbath, as studios that don't have a strong enough library on their own might find themself sidelined in this new world, with consumer unwilling to commit to any more streaming subscriptions than they already have. Wouldn't be entirely surprised if Netflix uses its increasingly supermassive financial black hole to snag a major studio weakened like this as a content supplier.
    MGM is trying to sell right now, I don't know if it is big enough impact for Netflix.

According to the outlet, MGM is hoping that their vast library content would attract companies, who are interested in expanding into the streaming landscape. MGM currently has ownership on over 4000 titles and 17,000 hours of television programming. This includes big franchises such as the James Bond films (with No Time to Die currently slated for a April 2, 2021), Rocky, The Hobbit, Pink Panther, Candyman, and RoboCop as well as acclaimed TV series The Handmaid’s Tale and Stargate.

It's the only streaming service I pay for. I have access to Amazon, though. But I like Netflix.

We were on the edge of getting rid of it for much of last year. But it always seems to offer just enough to keep us interested.

This could be said for other streaming services as well.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Its been okay. I am finding myself drawn more to HBO Max these days. If Warner Bros goes all out with the DC films, and shows announced for the service and other original content it would maybe over take Netflix one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    This is what everyone wanted though because with Cable you were force to get channels that you didn't want. Multiple services only seem bad to people who believe that under cable you got everything and sure if you were willing to spend 100 plus dollars yeah you got everything. Realistically what most people want when cable was a bigger thing is the 5 major players CBS,ABC,FOX,NBC and the CW then you pick other 5 to 10 channels you actual wanted. But Cable had a greedy tier system to prevent that so they could make more money. Just for fun I went and checked what price for cable cost now it was 25 dollars for basic(The stuff you can pick up for free with antenna) and 65 for the next tier and that price will be important later.

The only reason Cable is "dead" because they wouldn't do the thing they are doing now which is charging individually. CBS has Paramount+ (MTV,Nickelodeon,CBS Access), ABC/FOX has Hulu/Disney+, NBC has the Peacock, and CW is a free service. HBO has always been it own thing, along with Showtime,Starz, Cinemax and other premium channels. Netflix is premium channel on the level of HBO. And of course there is Amazon Prime Video, Apple tv and couple others. Now there is live tv and sports but we will leave that out for now. So being honest it is HBO (14.99),Netflix (8.99), Disney package (12.99) Paramont +( at least 9.99) Peacock plus(9.99) which comes up to about 56 dollars. The average American cable bill was 99 dollars so most people would still be quite a bit away from spending what they use to on cable even getting most services. And they are getting exactly the channels they want to watch. When I ever see comment on how bad it is why have so much services this what pops in my mind.

As for the topic as long Netflix has to spend produce twice as much content to make up for all content they are losing and hurriedly build up a back catalog they are going to be one of the better service if not the best. Netflix is absolute the best service at monthly putting out new content not everyone of those things are a hit but it is to have a wide variety as an option compared to the others who are depending their back catalog of things you have already seen. If you are like me you don't watch old stuff unless you can't find any new stuff to watch or have specific urge to watch something. A great backcatlog only matters to me if you have nothing new and if you have nothing new I can cancel, wait until stuff builds up re up and binge on them and then cancel again.HBO and Disney are great one month rentals. Netflix for me is only one that consistently drops enough new stuff to were I don't consider cut it.

Ironic today I saw this "Netflix promises at least one new movie every week in 2021"

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/12/2...on-zack-snyder
    That's already a classic trick. Buy it for a month if they allow that, binge everything you possibly can that you want to see and then cancel it or don't renew.

For me, the thing is I only have Netflix and content that would have been there now will not be. I don't take cable. Way overpriced.

I sometimes buy a season of a show on Amazon Prime. But that's different. It's buying that show, period. The equivalent would be HBO Max allowing someone to buy and stream just WW84, period.
    Power with Girl is better.