- Stephanie Brown?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Here's a thought:

Suppose, just suppose, Dick remains a spy and the Nightwing name goes to -

- Stephanie Brown?
    If we are playing that game then why not harper row

Spectacular Member

Nightwing will be Dick Grayson there will be no smokescreen with who is under the mask, as a few have already stated it can be a positive move if it has the right creative team and a real direction otherwise it's just a real disappointment that something so original for Dick Grayson has been taken away

Quote Originally Posted by yash View Post
    If we are playing that game then why not harper row
    Because they'd rather the book didn't have to get canned after 6 issues?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Because they'd rather the book didn't have to get canned after 6 issues?
    I don't know about that and nor do you but I think she can take it and run with it just fine

I don't see Steph nor Harper being able to run with a twice monthly Nightwing series, and i highly doubt thats something they're gonna be trying.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-21-2016 at 10:17 PM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Yeah, they can't afford to take any chances right now with sales as bad as they are for DC overall.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    not calling you out or anything, but curious as to how accurate that really is.

I've said it for a while, DC really had a potential goldmine w/ Grayson. The spy genre is something that can cross multi-media so well and something they could've established as a mainstay in their core line, or at least had the niche category on lockdown. Bond, Bourne, Jack Ryan, Mission Impossible... Grayson could've easily opened up more opportunities for video games, TV shows, etc than Nightwing.

I think DC’s priorities have shifted. They’re focusing right now on their bigger sellers. If they still have plans for the spy genre, Grayson is not part of them anymore. Dick works for the Parliament of Owls now, and apparently new Helena B. is gone (and will be replaced by the original Helena B.), which probably means Spiral is gone too.

Quote Originally Posted by HLOTS View Post
    I think DC’s priorities have shifted. They’re focusing right now on their bigger sellers. If they still have plans for the spy genre, Grayson is not part of them anymore. Dick works for the Parliament of Owls now, and apparently new Helena B. is gone (and will be replaced by the original Helena B.), which probably means Spiral is gone too.
    Wasn't that Helena Wayne?

As for Nightwing, DC is talking about all about rebirth now so it would make zero sense of putting new face in Nightwing's role regardless of potential sales.

Extraordinary Member

Wasn't the destruction of Spyral the Goal of this series right fronm the strat?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    I've said it for a while, DC really had a potential goldmine w/ Grayson. The spy genre is something that can cross multi-media so well and something they could've established as a mainstay in their core line, or at least had the niche category on lockdown. Bond, Bourne, Jack Ryan, Mission Impossible... Grayson could've easily opened up more opportunities for video games, TV shows, etc than Nightwing.
    But sofar Grayson delivered not one story line that is remotely as big as an Bond, Bourne, or Mission Impossible movie. (And most classic Batman vs. Ras Al Ghul Stories feel more like classic Bond movies than anything in Grayson.)

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    Agreed, Grayson gave Dick his own pocket of the DC Universe that was building around him.
    Honestly I don't get why every one is talking of Dicks corner of the DCU and World Bilding. It was mostly guest appearances of Characters and organization that existed before Grayson will still exist after Grayson. And if you are just reading Grayson, and don't know these other (mostly pre flashpoint) stories, you have afterwards still no idea who these guys are.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Honestly I don't get why every one is talking of Dicks corner of the DCU and World Bilding. It was mostly guest appearances of Characters and organization that existed before Grayson will still exist after Grayson. And if you are just reading Grayson, and don't know these other (mostly pre flashpoint) stories, you have afterwards still no idea who these guys are.
    Batman INC was pretty much an abandoned property and they were reformatting some of the ideas in that book to revolve around Dick's character. Then they were having that world expand to Wildstorm and other DC spy organizations that DC didn't know what to do with anymore. His character has never had so many options and directions. This is coming from someone that had problems with Spyral, but scraping it all and moving the character back to the Court of Owls feels a bit like regression, especially as the Court will never be Nightwing/Grayson's property but a Bruce/Batman one.

I still hope Matron will only take up the mantle or there will be the old Huntress and Matron. Dick and Helena formed such a good friendship, even if she is hunting him down now. His connections from Spyral should simply stay, as villains or as reluctant friends. At least Helena and Midnighter if no one else.

A simple name change is not the issue here, like many have pointed out. The new book simply has to keep away from the monster/villain-of-the-week scheme. That would be the ultimate regression of the character... again. The PoO could provide a direction that still involves the undercover theme and the globe trotting which is probably the only reason why I am alright with the Owls invading the book.

The best thing that could happen for me is that the creators stay but I won't stop the book just because they are not on it anymore. The new creators simply have to show that they want to advance the character as well.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Nightwing launched with the New 52, when DC's success was at its highest in a long time. Nightwing also had the benefit of tying in with Snyder's Bat events.

Grayson, on the other hand, launched right after DC's momentum with the New 52 had subsided. And suffered through the post-Convergence period, when DC's marketshare was dropping hard.
    And, again, there's that problem of digital sales, which we don't really know . . . and which have definitely seemed to become a bit more popular in the past few years.
    Another factor that has to be considered: Diamond's numbers are based on what comic book shops order, not just what is bought by actual readers. We don't know how much orders for DC books may have dropped in part because store owners have cut back on some titles to afford all the new books with umpteen-variant covers that Marvel has been releasing during 2015. (It may not be a big shift away from previous orders for DC, but it can add up.)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Tbf, DC doesn't do a whole lot of catering to 90s/2000s nostalgia.
    Eh, maybe not until now, but I'm definitely getting that vibe with the Rebirth news, especially these Nightwing and Huntress announcements. And if it pans out, it will be disrupting a damn good book, just like how some people feel Barry's resurrection screwed over Wally and the Flash franchise.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Remember when everyone was like "OMG THEY ARE CANCELLING NIGHTWING?!?!!!!! A SPY?????? REALLLLLLLY????"? This reminds me of that. Just give us good Dick Grayson stories and I won't care what you call him. Grayson was DEFINITELY a step in the right direction. Let's hope they keep the ball rolling.