View Poll Results: whats up with Superman ?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • bad story telling ?

32 74.42%
  • bad casting

1 2.33%
  • not following the comics ?

10 23.26%
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Post why is superman in the movies so depressed , boring and nothing like the superman we know and love in the comic books ?

from seeing the last two movies with Superman i find superman so down , depressed and boring..... its like his persona and his substance has been sucked out of him and replaced within emptiness . He is totally lifeless WB really need to stay true to the substance that makes up Superman ! i hope we see a new Superman in justice league .

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Does not smiling all the time = depressed? I wonder.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

1.) The plan with Superman, from the start, was to put him through a journey in which he BECOMES the Superman you describe. He was supposed to work up to it so that when he gets there, it'll look like something he earned instead of something that was just part of who he was from the start.

2.) You'd be depressed too if you saved people every day and the world was still lining up to tell you that you suck.

3.) He's not depressed all the time. He's a human being, like every other. Whenever the movies gave him a reason to smile and be happy, he smiled and was happy. He smiled and showed joy when visiting his mom in MOS, when he was flirting with Lois, when he first took to the sky and flew, when he started his new job at the Planet, when he was in that bathtub with Lois, and when he was doing his job as Clark Kent. He only seems depressed because the movies have thrown a lot of bad stuff at him and he has had very little reason to smile and be cheerful.

Now that the movies are lightening up and Superman is about to return from the dead with a new lease on life, you're probably going to see his personality change pretty fast.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 08-29-2016 at 12:40 PM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Zack Snyder has the emotional maturity of a 12-year-old, so he thought this adolescent angst would be interesting and cool.

Where's the "tendentious question is tendentious" option? Heck, I'd settle even for a "none of the above" button!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    1.) The plan with Superman, from the start, was to put him through a journey in which he BECOMES the Superman you describe. He was supposed to work up to it so that when he gets there, it'll look like something he earned instead of something that was just part of who he was from the start.

2.) You'd be depressed too if you saved people every day and the world was still lining up to tell you that you suck.

3.) He's not depressed all the time. He's a human being, like every other. Whenever the movies gave him a reason to smile and be happy, he smiled and was happy. He smiled and showed joy when visiting his mom in MOS, when he was flirting with Lois, when he first took to the sky and flew, when he started his new job at the Planet, when he was in that bathtub with Lois, and when he was doing his job as Clark Kent. He only seems depressed because the movies have thrown a lot of bad stuff at him and he has had very little reason to smile and be cheerful.

Now that the movies are lightening up and Superman is about to return from the dead with a new lease on life, you're probably going to see his personality change pretty fast.
    This. People don't go around all day smiling like they don't have a care in the world. Clark/Superman has a life and is allowed to be a person that has a range of emotions. That means like a normal person he can be happy, disappointed, annoyed, content, etc. What we're getting is a character arc for Superman. Something he did not have in the past films. Even in the comics he's allowed to show a wide range of emotion and emotional states. He doesn't walk around, even as Superman, like he doesn't have a care in the world. Let's be honest here. Clark if he was on Krypton would be just another guy with a range of emotions, etc. Him being on Earth just gives him powers. It doesn't take away those aspect that make a person a person and Kryptonians are shown to be very close to Humans so he would naturally act like a human would, especially since he was raised by them.

I've long felt and believed many people like the idea of Superman and not Superman as a character because when you allow him to be an actual character, to have an actual character arc and development, people complain or say he's not acting like Superman when in truth they don't know what Superman is suppose to act like because they've not taken the time to really pay attention to how he acts and what his personality is like in the source material in comics or even other adaptions of the character like the cartoons or TV shows. For example it's always interesting to see people respond when people see Superman being a dick to people like Lex example. Yeah that's part of his personality when it comes to certain characters he interacts with. That's Superman being Superman.
    Last edited by NeoStar9X; 08-29-2016 at 03:40 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Where's the "tendentious question is tendentious" option? Heck, I'd settle even for a "none of the above" button!
    This was my first thought as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post

Does not smiling all the time = depressed? I wonder.
    No, it's the miserable tone of the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Zack Snyder has the emotional maturity of a 12-year-old, so he thought this adolescent angst would be interesting and cool.
    That's stupid, I'm sure 12 year olds have more emotional maturity.

BANNED

You need extra entries on the Poll:

4.The general audience is ignorant and Donner Superman has irreparably poisoned the character for general audiences.

5. He should become "Superman" off screen, and skip all of that Character development, like Donner Superman.

6. Humanity should cheer for Superman unconditionally and not criticize him at all, like Donner Superman.

Snyder Superman is plenty hopeful, it's the world that Snyder Superman inhabits that's taken a meaner more cynical turn.
    Last edited by unholyrevenger72; 08-29-2016 at 05:33 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by unholyrevenger72 View Post
    You need a fourth entry on the Poll: That Fans are ignorant and Donner Superman has irreparably poisoned the character for general audiences.
    That seems like a really stupid option. You can always make your own poll with such entries.

Stop with these polls its just gonna make DCEU fans upset and the trolls have a place to **** on the dceu again.

I dont like this superman but canvill has breif moments he feels like superman . Like the flying scene from MoS, so im hopeful hes a brighter version going forward but that all personal and doesnt make it bad just not for me atm.

Saw suicide squad again yesterday. The good was even better. The bad even worse with repeat viewing. Editing and music bugged me even more but the stars and the performances they gave and humor hit eveb better for me this time around. It will be the first dceu movie i buy when it comes out

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    That seems like a really stupid option. You can always make your own poll with such entries.
    Why would I make another thread? And it's not a stupid option, it's a very accurate one.

Because in comics the civilian population of the planet are never a character. They are just a thing heroes have to save.

In movies the civilian population is a character and their opinions are heard.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Yeah, this has been done to death the past three years. If it isn't understood by now, then it probably never will be.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member

to paraphrase The director.....

I love comics about sex and violence