View Poll Results: Which version of the Phoenix Force do you prefer?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Secondary Mutation

4 22.22%
  • Cosmic Entity

14 77.78%
  • Neither choice

0 0%
    Spectacular Member

Default The Phoenix Force: Secondary Mutation or Cosmic Entity?

In the classic X-Men comics, the Phoenix was originally portrayed as a secondary mutation for Jean Grey. It was later retconned as having been a cosmic entity. In the new movie X-Men: Apocalypse, it seems as if the Phoenix Force is portrayed as being a secondary mutation, with no evidence of any cosmic origin.

Which one do you like best, for find less confusing? The Phoenix as a secondary mutation, or as a cosmic entity bonded with Jean Grey?

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime114 View Post
    In the classic X-Men comics, the Phoenix was originally portrayed as a secondary mutation for Jean Grey. It was later retconned as having been a cosmic entity. In the new movie X-Men: Apocalypse, it seems as if the Phoenix Force is portrayed as being a secondary mutation, with no evidence of any cosmic origin.

Which one do you like best, for find less confusing? The Phoenix as a secondary mutation, or as a cosmic entity bonded with Jean Grey?
    We only saw Phoenix for like a second, I'm not seeing where you are making that assumption from the movie. But I like cosmic entity.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

In the previous movies it wasn't a cosmic entity. While the movies had a "reboot" it's still the same universe, only with a different timeline. It would be a biiig retcon to be a cosmic entity. While I think the story from the comics it's better than the movies, that we saw until now, I like more the idea of the Phoenix force being something Jean's only. Rachel and Hope as the redhead Summers can get a pass, but that's it.

I think that it's both.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    In the previous movies it wasn't a cosmic entity. While the movies had a "reboot" it's still the same universe, only with a different timeline. It would be a biiig retcon to be a cosmic entity. While I think the story from the comics it's better than the movies, that we saw until now, I like more the idea of the Phoenix force being something Jean's only. Rachel and Hope as the redhead Summers can get a pass, but that's it.
    The X-Men Universe doesn't seem to care about continuity that much, which is fine. So I don't think how the Phoenix was portrayed in X-Men 3 would really stop them from going with the more traditional cosmic entity route in future films.

In the X-Men 3 movie, I thought Jean just went crazy, and just exhibited her own potential, nothing to do with the Pheonix.