Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's important to look at each case on it's own merits. If Marvel was flooded with complaints about Tim writing Blade's daughter and Marvel fired him cuz they thought it would hurt their business or if Tim was getting threats and abuse on his social media and was driven off the title that way, that would be one thing. But that's not what happened. People were making dumb statements and some people agreed and others didn't. This wasn't a case PC going too far. Those people may have held the wrong view, but they didn't over reach. They were just wrong.
    I can co-sign this

I can't say I'm particularly interested in how the people who have historically been responsible for excluding various minority groups define what is "acceptable" use of "politically correctness".
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conch22 View Post
    Because "SJW"s are infallible? Don't wanna misread this so if you're saying something else please elaborate
    Not infallible so much as a bogeyman you can wave your torches and pitchforks at without having to actually defend your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Not infallible so much as a bogeyman you can wave your torches and pitchforks at without having to actually defend your argument.
    Pretty much this. They sit next to "Alt Left" and "Mass American Islamic Terrorists" as "Phrases that get you laughed out of any serious conversation"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Well, it's a good thing that's the only reply I used the term SJW in then. I've defended my arguments criticizing modern PC culture fairly well here I'd say with tangible examples. I'd note the line the PC people that are villified did nothing wrong was a followup to someone taking exception to me getting the impression they thought the various permutations of the ideology and its adherents were infallible. I'm not saying they're infallible BUT they're never to blame! And I'm so open minded I won't discuss it further

I'm fairly sure that most of the examples given here which are considered to PC Culture run amok are simply the comic company making an effort to appeal to a wider audience in order to sell more comics. They may claim all sorts altruistic reasons but at the end of the day these are businesses trying to make a profit. Generating buzz with controversial story lines or changes in characters is probably on the table if it gets people talking about and hopefully buying their product.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Can someone explain exactly what people mean by "ticking checkboxes" and what exactly is wrong with that?

I mean I used to keep a demographics list tallying up male and female racial ratios for my characters. Is this for some reason wrong?

To answer the op's question however I think it is good that more races are getting represented in comics. A race of people shouldn't be ignored, if people feel ignored clearly something is being done wrong.

Any problems caused by these practices and beliefs are caused by a history of racism and lack of representation anyway.
    Last edited by The Negative Zone; 09-18-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    A race of people shouldn't be ignored, if people feel ignored clearly something is being done wrong.

Any problems caused by these practices and beliefs are caused by a history of racism and lack of representation anyway.
    Interesting. At what specific point to people feel ignored if I may ask?

Also, the issue of racism aside for just a moment, and I think a few others on the thread have reasonably felt similarly about this as well, is that if it's possible to focus on representation, political correctness, or whatever others may call it, to the point that quality may be neglected more, or is that just a sign of worrying too much?

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post

Also, the issue of racism aside for just a moment, and I think a few others on the thread have reasonably felt similarly about this as well, is that if it's possible to focus on representation, political correctness, or whatever others may call it, to the point that quality may be neglected more, or is that just a sign of worrying too much?
    I do not believe that focusing on representation affects the quality of a story. If quality is neglected that is the writer's personal choice.

“Revolori was born and raised in Anaheim, California. His parents, Sonia and Mario Quiñonez, are from Jutiapa, Guatemala.[1] His father was an actor during his earlier years in Guatemala.”
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Revolori

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    MCU Flash Thompson was South Asian (Indian/Pakistani/Sri Lankan), not Hispanic, you moron.
    “Found one!”
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I do not believe that focusing on representation affects the quality of a story. If quality is neglected that is the writer's personal choice.
    Well, I don't think most writers choose to have bad quality on purpose, but yeah, I think that's more on the writer in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I can't say I'm particularly interested in how the people who have historically been responsible for excluding various minority groups define what is "acceptable" use of "politically correctness".
    What people exactly?

What people exactly?
    Obviously those time traveling lawmakers from the past.

Ultimate Member

The thing is, that's almost never the case. Sure there are some works of art that are clumsy with their messaging but these are the exemption and not the rule.

I see so many complaints about Spider-man Homecoming but did the diversity in the movie hurt the movie? Not in the slightest. And i must say, this isn't the 60's anymore and the demographics of New York city (and Queens in particular) has changed so much that having an all white cast supporting cast for Peter Parker wouldn't just be unrealistic, it would be downright ridiculous. It's all fine and good to not be happy with the changes but it does not make any sense to insist on following the original comics faithfully when they were written decades ago.

And I also agree with Things Fall Apart, it doesn't really make much sense for non-minorities to talk about PC or diversity done right when they have little to no understanding of how certain minorities feel considering they have been depicted and treated very badly for majority of America's history.

Ultimate Member

What people exactly?
    Probably the racist cranks all over youtube, the media (fox news), some conservative politicians e.t.c that constantly complain about minorities and in the politicians cases, doing everything possible to limit women's reproductive rights.

Like, it's people like these that went out of their way to suppress and oppress people that didn't look like them for no other reason beyond the fact that they can't get away from learned racist and bigoted behavior. Seriously, no one is born a bigot, people pick up some stupid **** because they can't get their life in order.

For me, the only time political correctness could be a problem is when people like James Gunn or Kevin Hart lose gigs for extremely dumb stuff they said years ago. I also don't really support race-bending but in some cases, it could be deemed necessary (the Spider-man case comes to mind).

But beyond that, constantly complaining about minorities or wokeness (i don't know why white people are complaining about a term that originated in the African-American community that relates to issues specific to them) say more about the individual than the work of art they are complaining about.

Nobody was arguing for an all white cast for Spider-Man, rather use the non-white characters that already exist more heavily than changing the white ones and ignoring the non-white ones. They could have used Glory Grant, Hobie Brown, Sha Shan Nguyen, Randy Robertson, Sajani Jaffrey, Robert Farrell, Hector Ayala and more.