Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Wonder Woman #81 SPOILERS

Wonder Woman #81 was the last issue of G.W. Wilson.

What's your opinion of this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Wonder Woman #81 was the last issue of G.W. Wilson.

What's your opinion of this issue?
    It was okay, better than the previous issue. The resolution was abrupt and it seems GWW didn't realize Veronica Cale and Cheetah hated each other long before she came aboard, so the reveal that Cheetah considers Cale a mortal enemy is only a return to their status quo, so it had little impact. I'm going to miss Diana's circular beach house that Steve bought for her as well as their union. And we still don't know what happened to the lasso.

It could've been a truly epic battle with Donna, Cassie, Artemis, Etta and Ferdinand all arriving to help. And have Cheetah with her own Villany Inc to make it more interesting. But apparently Diana's only allies are Steve (who didn't do anything) and Atlantiades.

Boring, predictable, the fight's resolved too quickly, the pet character saved the day again, Steve and Diana broke up for no reason...Another lackluster issue in a lackluster run.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 10-24-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: language please

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

It was... okay. Wilson had to put her toys back in the box, so we have Diana and Steve "together" if not as a couple, a living god of love, love back in the DCU, etc as well as a hint of what's to come with the Cheetah and such.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Sadly, a dull end to a dull run which once again wipes the slate clean.

No bracelets, no tiara, no lasso, no Steve, all left to the next writer to rebuild her skills/powers/love life.

I'm just getting kind of tired of constant shifts in what should be the character's supporting pillars in her story.

Many of us figured out the whole 'so Atlantiades will be the new god/dess of love', which again, meant Diana was unable to stop a villain without outside assistance. If they hadn't shown up to give her love and powers, Diana would have given up and lost.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

This issue feels like the "end" of the Rebirth era of WW as whole and not just of Wilson's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    This issue feels like the "end" of the Rebirth era of WW as whole and not just of Wilson's run.
    True, and it felt like a pacing problem. A few less full page spreads and the story would have flowed better over less issues. The ending (though predictable) wouldn't have come as quickly and there would have been more time to conclude on a happier note, even with the same air of finality.

I'll say this for Wilson she's consistent, the very same fault-lines went through her entire run.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Sadly, a dull end to a dull run which once again wipes the slate clean.

No bracelets, no tiara, no lasso, no Steve, all left to the next writer to rebuild her skills/powers/love life.

I'm just getting kind of tired of constant shifts in what should be the character's supporting pillars in her story.

Many of us figured out the whole 'so Atlantiades will be the new god/dess of love', which again, meant Diana was unable to stop a villain without outside assistance. If they hadn't shown up to give her love and powers, Diana would have given up and lost.
    Dull as dishwater. I skimmed it and felt I missed nothing.

GWW ends as she began, with Wonder Womsn utterly incapable of winning without getting buffed up by the writers pet supporting character.

One of the most forgettable runs ever.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

"Oh, I guess I'm the deity of love now!" Yeah, I don't find that a very interesting way to treat a new character.

Over the past few years we have seen so many different things happen when a god dies. Diana killed Ares, then she became the goddess of war. Apollo and Ares died, then burst back into full life when Donna Troy took over the role of the Fates (whose weakness was the only thing keeping them dead, apparently). Ares killed himself, and then was alive with a new attitude. Zeus was killed, and we haven't seen him yet. Aphrodite was killed, and her child Alantiades takes on her portfolio.

It's all random, and I think it's lazy storytelling. Whatever they need to set up, it just happens, quickly and with no apparent reason.

I thought that "Wonder Woman can now take on Cheetah because Alantiades powered Diana up" was another sleight to Diana, and the changes to Diana and Steve's relationship has nothing to do with their personalities and choices - again, it's just "well, let's set this up!"

So, no, the issue didn't do much for me.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

So the dark gods are returning?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

did anyone else get the vibe that they were hinting a DC 5G with Steve saying lets meet again in another life, another beginning? I feel like the new origin for WW will have Steve with Diana in generation 1.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    did anyone else get the vibe that they were hinting a DC 5G with Steve saying lets meet again in another life, another beginning? I feel like the new origin for WW will have Steve with Diana in generation 1.
    Since I’ll probably pass on the latest version of the New52 debacle, I really don’t care.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Byebye, Ocean City...byebye, beach house!
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Mighty Member

It's gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    It's gone?
    Ocean City is still there, but, she's moving out of the beach house, because of what happened there...and cuzzo Steve, probably.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!