Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Default Pitch a Superman movie

Sadly WB has said repeatedly that they currently have no plans for Superman films. What would you do with Superman's movie franchise? Would you bring back Cavil or completely recast? Would you try to tie it into any of the other DC films or would it be its own thing? Who is your villain? Do you adapt an existing comic or do something new?

Servomoore

A Mister Mxyzptlk story. Superman doesn't seem overpowered, the situations are quirky, there's plenty of room for quipiness, and the "So RANDOM" crowd would be all over.

And got to bring Cavil back now that he has those Witcher bona fides.

Astonishing Member

I'd start from scratch. Make it more of it's own thing more Joker than part of the DCEU.

Cavil just wouldn't fit in my vision nor would any of the other prior cast.

I'd take inspiration from, but not actually adapt the Morrison Action run from the New 52. Possibly a bit from Birthright and Earth One as well

The movie would be an origin story. I know we've been over the story a dozen times, but I prefer to set the table myself rather than having everyone trying to figure out which parts of prior origins are supposed to fit. Plus I don't plan on actually showing Krypton or Clark's childhood on screen. His life Pre-Metropolis will be revealed (if needed) in dialogue not flashback.

We'd follow Clark's journey from guy in the shadows to being publicly recognized as a hero. The main villain would be Intergang but he'd also have conflict with Metropolis PD (Dan Turpin) and the US Government (General Sam Lane and Federal Agent Margaret Sawyer).

Superman would start out low level (leaping, shrugging off gunfire) and show greater power as the film progresses. Flight and heat vision would not show up until the final battle.

The last scene would set up potential sequels film with Lex being revealed as the undiscovered backer of Intergang and a spaceship receiving a message that a surviving Kryptonian has been located.

This is a trilogy pitch i have in mind, hope you like them.

1st film would be a story would focus on clark's arriving in metropolis and his struggle to find a job and place in the city. Basically a tale of the farm boy/outsider trying to fit in and find his way in the big city. His powers would be on a similar level to what they were during the max fleischer cartoons, though he won't develop the ability to fly only until the end of the film when he fully becomes superman. The antagonist will be the ultra humanite (his personality would be similar to his potrayal in the dcau), with toyman serving as the secondary antagonist. Lex and lois will appear in the film. A rivalry of careers would be established between lois and clark and a sort of friendship between lex and clark similar to smallville. Clark overall would be a reluctant hero, who just wants to live a normal life, but chooses to use his powers to help others and face ultra humanite. The film would be set in modern times and focus on metropolis and its attempts of being a pinnacle of technological advancement for humanity, while paying a great deal of tribute to the fleischer cartoons while taking cues from grant morrison's early new 52 comics and marv wolfman's man and superman comic.

2nd film would be a loose adaption of superman unchained. Focusing on the worlds overall response to superman's appearance. Introducing lois's father general lane and his super soldiers wraith and equus. Both of whom will serve as antagonists of the film. It would also deal with clark questioning himself on what he should be and do as superman, not to mention delve into the mystery of clarks now slowly growing and developing powers and abilities. Martian manhunter would appear in the film to play the part as a former adversary of wraith and a mentor to clark, having lived on earth far longer than clark and being a member of the original justice society of America. As a attraction forms between superman and lois, the rivalry between clark and lois grows aswell as a friendship between them. Simultaniously, lex starts developing metropolis into the true city of tomorrow its meant to be, while his hatred of superman grows and the friendship between him and clark grows aswell.

between the 2nd and third film would be a batman, Superman, worlds finest film where lex's hatred of superman would develop to him becoming a villian and teaming up with the joker to kill both superman and batman.

3rd film would pit clark against his very first extraterrestrial antagonist Mongul and his sidekick Brainiac(he would be similar to his original silver age incarnation and only develop into his more powerful and terrifying self in later films). Along with the intergalactic gladiator draaga and several alien mercenaries. Earth would be challenged to an electric warriors tournament by the dominators. To prevent and make war illegal, a tournament was created that should one civilization desire the resources of another, they simply challenge the other civilization to a tournament, wherein, warriors who represent each civilization fight to determine who takes whose resources. The tradition was started by mongul after he acquired the war world and after several conflicts with the greenlantern core, created this tournament and declared himself war-master. This way, a truce was formed between him and the green lantern core where he gets to help them lessen conflict in the universe and as payment, take a small percentage of the victory resources for himself, aswell as the former gladiators who loose the electric warriors tournament to do with as he sees fit. The green lantern Abin sur would appear to oversee the tournament and eventually help clark along with martian manhunter. Clark participates in the tournament, leading a team of randomly picked meta-human individuals that includes livewire to help them win the tournament. However, because he is not a true native of earth, mongul ensures the tournaments trials take place on a planet orbiting a red sun. As clark slowly looses his powers, he must try his best to help this team win the electric warriors tournament and stop mongul before he reveals the true nefarious nature of his actions. Lois and clark would finally develop a relationship without her knowing he is superman.

All this would take place to develop superman on his own before he becomes part of the much larger dc cinematic universe and thus before the formation of the justice league, the death, reign and return of superman movie adaptation events and before darkseids introduction. Supergirl and krypto the superdog will appear in a much later film where brainiac will become a new antagonist for clark.

We keep Cavill and Adams, because they are excellent.
    We keep the events of the previous movies intact, except that Clark is alive and working at the Planet, and no reason for his survival will be given. However, these movies will be recontextualized, without retconning them.

The tone of this movie is not similar to the dark feel of previous movies, but rather continues with the same character in a brighter tone. Clark still fights the "hopepunk" style "never-ending battle" against injustice, but now his commitment to Earth and his hope for the future acts as an emotional shield against his former sense of despair. Coming through "BvS" and "Justice League" made him a stronger person, more able to weather loss and pain.

The basic plot outline is this: Superman is helping STAR Labs make an expedition into the Phantom Zone, hoping to gain greater understanding and use Kryptonian tech for the betterment of humanity. Cyborg and Lois are also there, Vic working with STAR, Lo covering the story. In the Zone, they find a capsule with Kara Zor-El in it, and bring her back to Earth, where Kal and his younger cousin teach each other about their respective worlds.

While Kal's familiarity with Krypton comes mostly through the eugenicist fascist Dru-Zod and the outsider rebel Jor-El, Kara, as a member of the Artists' Guild, saw it with wonder and beauty, and she imparts this utterly new perspective to Kal as she teaches him of a beautiful side of Krypton that he never knew existed.

Meanwhile, Clark and Lois teach Kara to acclimate to the alien new world of Earth. Like Jor-El, Clark sees his world's flaws in sharp relief, but he sees the beauty as well, and he and Lois convey this beauty to Kara along with the flaws. She slowly learns to love Earth, despite its flaws, as Clark learns to embrace his birthworld's memory more than he has.

Kara's character is not that of a tough hero like many other female super-heroes like Captain Marvel, rather, she's a vulnerable (though resilient) girl, who loves soft and cute things, not unlike Wonder Woman approaching a baby in the street. However, she lacks Diana's self-confidence. Importantly, this emphasis on emotional softness should not be framed as something to grow out of, but as a positive trait, that brings out a softer side of Lois and Clark as well, when they're with her. Rather, her arc should be one of developing confidence in herself.

I have not decided on the primary villain. Secondary villains like Intergang or Metallo can appear throughout the plot, without being a central focus. Either Brainiac, Faora and the Zod Squad, or Cyborg-Superman should be the villain of this story. Brainiac gives Superman and Supergirl a huge foe to fight, with a personal element to the conflict, but may also be too many moving parts to bring in if Kandor or various other things are included. Faora allows for a contrasting view on Krypton, as she loves Krypton but is obviously a eugenicist fascist amoralist. She would be a good foil to Supergirl, and maybe another Zoner could be a good foil to Superman, but I also worry about being too samey compared to Man of Steel's enemies... the same exact Zod Squad. Cyborg-Superman would be a mixture of Henshaw and Zor-El, possibly under Apokoliptan control, and would like Brainiac give a very personal element to the conflict, as well as being a good foil for Kal, but might also have too many moving parts.

Also, Clark and Lois should get married at the conclusion of the story.

That's my pitch - a deliberate recontextualization of Man of Steel's Krypton as a place worth mourning, and of Batman v Superman's character arc as a hopepunk commitment to the Never-Ending Battle, that also introduces Supergirl.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I'd pitch something like JOKER - as in an out of continuity elseworld period film unrelated to any possible DCEU continuations or reboots.

I'm thinking of something like the old Fleischer shorts or the Adventures of Superman (George Reeves TV series) or the recent Superman Smashes the Klan book. Something of that era and tone, but with modern effects. More serious and drama/character driven than the old cartoon and show, but still very much of that kind of spirit. More amazing feats like that scene in Superman Returns where he rescues that plane (feel good rescue scenes were kind of missing in his DCEU appearances), some cool villains (Brainiac or Metallo or literally anyone other than Zod and/or Lex Luthor), and some pretty grand fight scenes (giant robots, I want to see Superman smash some giant robots).

Yeah, forget rebooting or doing a sequel to the divisive Man of Steel stuff, I want to see a one off Elseworld Superman movie where he can really embody those classic Superman tropes and have fun and give us something uplifting and a little quirky.

Off the top of my head I'd probably do a reboot with a new actor. We'd skip the origin but its still the early days of his career. The elevator pitch is "Doctor Who by way of Aaron Sorkin".

I'd do a "history of Krypton" movie. Obviously there's a villain to defeat, but Clark needs knowledge he can only get by studying the past. Thus he has to visit Krypton and get information he can only find there.

Basically Superman Assasin's creed style?

Quote Originally Posted by Dralokonda View Post
    Basically Superman Assasin's creed style?
    That sounds like a nice approach yes.

I think Cyborg Superman would make a good movie with Brainiac as the catalyst for it...Maybe set up a trilogy with a Brainiac fight in act 3. Incorporate some elements from Maahawkman's idea of Krypton. Maybe even bring in Zod to help take out Brainiac.

Brainiac has come to Earth and has given some of them his tech, which introduces Metallo, Cyborg Superman and Steel, but later tries to take over with his tech.

Manchester Black tries to turn the world against Superman and the older Generation blaming them for the trouble the world is in and Superman tries to stop Manchester's Youthful Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Manchester Black tries to turn the world against Superman and the older Generation blaming them for the trouble the world is in and Superman tries to stop Manchester's Youthful Revolution.
    Manchester is a modern character that just fits so well I could easily seem him as having been written in the old days.
    Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I think Cyborg Superman would make a good movie with Brainiac as the catalyst for it...Maybe set up a trilogy with a Brainiac fight in act 3. Incorporate some elements from Maahawkman's idea of Krypton. Maybe even bring in Zod to help take out Brainiac.
    Yeah Brainiac or Eradicator would be perfect options for a big bad there.

All-New Member

Default An Adaptation of Superman: Secret Identity

Imagine Superman: The Movie meets M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable Trilogy. This movie, like the 4-issue Elseworlds miniseries it is based on, will be set in the real world where superheroes only exist in comic books and the main character, Clark Kent, is just an ordinary Kansas youth who happens to be named after Superman. He is constantly teased by his peers about his namesake, until one day he wakes up to discover that he is faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

BANNED

Grant Morrisson's Action Comic's adaptation.