Page 634 of 833 FirstFirst ... 134534584624630631632633634635636637638644684734 ... LastLast
Results 9,496 to 9,510 of 12488
    Incredible Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if storm went back to being a house nanny lol. I’ll skip a few of these X-men red books…. Cable wiz kid I don’t care. I said from the beginning Nothing exciting happened in X-men red yet. No back story nothing. Al Ewing storm is just a little bit dry… I’ll just wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I'm just saying, plenty of people have (with validity) argued that Storm's positions and titles in this era - when written by some writers - were nothing more than lip service that made it seem like they were showing Storm more respect than they were actually giving her in the narratives.

The actual titles, no matter how much prestige they suggested for her, flat out did not compare to her getting stories where her actions and choices mattered more than the occasional name-dropping of her and her titles to appease fans.

But if the titles ultimately didn't say or do anything DEFINITIVE for her character, and in the end the actual measure of respect that mattered was narrative focus......then I don't think there's anything you can do JUST with her titles or a particular one that actually definitively TAKES something from her character....if she still winds up driving the story just as much, regardless of her particular titles at any given moment. And that's for future issues to determine, of course, but speaking just for myself, I don't see anything about Storm's depiction this issue....let alone where the issue left her, that suggests Ewing intends to have her step out of the narrative spotlight ANY time soon.
    Totally agreed, some folks are way too focused on feats or titles when all I want is a strong character arc for Storm and we've gotten that.

The central thesis of Red this far has been about saviorism, how do you help a people that you're fundamentally not part of. This is part of that -- it's not right that Storm should be the leader of Arrako because fundamentally she is tied to Krakoa and Earth and she recognized that here. It's the conclusion of the "no thrones" arc.

Ewing isn't above criticism and I think it's fair to say that he and the X-office dropped the ball AGAIN when it comes to Storm. Once again we're falling back into old habits of Storm relinquishing positions. It's old. This one sticks out as even more egregious because of her non factor as a QC member, and now she's giving up a position where she's done nothing as well.

Sorry but after nearly a year and half, it's not unreasonable to want some clarity on certain things. Why do we STILL not know what exactly being the Voice of Sol entails or the authority it holds? Why do we still not know HOW or why Storm even wanted it to begin with? (The same probkem exists with her Regent of Arrako)The X -architects were asked that question in an interview and they had no answer. Well now we know why. The answer is literally no one knows! That's sad. I'm not here to fill in this many blanks. Major character shifts shouldn't be left to the imagination to this extent.

Storm iterally attended one meeting in her function as Voice of Sol where her opinion didn't matter anyway(Xandra was getting ressurected regardless) and now we're supposed to care that she's giving it up or think it has some narrative impact. Nah. That's not how that works. Ewing failed to do the proper work. He shouldn't have given her this position if this was how it's going to play out. Maybe he'll build her up to it better in the future but as of now it's fallen flat.

I think he's done a fine job with writing Storm but this was his second big misstep with her. I have a feeling though with Galactic politics being a focus going further he might circle back around to all this, but with the nature of the industry now, it's always a concern if things can come into fruition organically.

I defintiely don't think Red has been derailed or ruined or anything like that. This is still an extremely good title, but some things aren't sticking the landing.

A good issue.Don't be afraid of change. Regent is just a title, get it or lose it, Storm will always be the one to save the Red Planet.
    Al Ewing made Storm great again! Storm greatest challenge might not be a matter of destruction, but creation.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Is it a "demotion" if she herself gave up the position to someone who is better suited? (so much for the cries of "agency!" when a character in-story cannot decide for herself what's best for the world she helped build.)

Where is the weakness if she herself recognises and acknowledges her responsibilities and situates herself in a better position to serve both Arakko and Krakoa as needed?

She didn't give up anything...she just changed seats, literally and figuratively, for a better (ad)vantage.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-05-2022 at 06:55 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Also, did Storm give up the "Voice of Sol" title here? That wasn't clear to me, it seemed like she was giving up the head spot on the Great Ring moreso.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Also, did Storm give up the "Voice of Sol" title here? That wasn't clear to me, it seemed like she was giving up the head spot on the Great Ring moreso.
    One of the reasons she was the Voice of Sol was her position as Regent of Arrako. Without that title, not sure what qualifications or merit she has to stay there. Then again, as has been said many times, no one knows exactly how any of this works cause no one has bothered to try to clarify it better.

Saying something else, it seems Storm has formed the shape of Magneto's helmet with clouds and lightning, does that mean she will become more radical?
    Al Ewing made Storm great again! Storm greatest challenge might not be a matter of destruction, but creation.

Quote Originally Posted by StormBorn06 View Post
    Saying something else, it seems Storm has formed the shape of Magneto's helmet with clouds and lightning, does that mean she will become more radical?
    damn I missed that, great catch

Incredible Member

I saw that….. maybe just a tribute to him… unless somehow she got some of his powers lol

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    damn I missed that, great catch
    Oooo, I hadn't considered that. Imagine if she steps into the role of being the other side to Xavier's coin as Magneto always has been? She is leading a team called the Brotherhood after all.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by BPStorm2 View Post
    I saw that….. maybe just a tribute to him… unless somehow she got some of his powers lol
    It's actually interesting that Storm is wearing Magneto's signature look on the SOS promotional cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Oooo, I hadn't considered that. Imagine if she steps into the role of being the other side to Xavier's coin as Magneto always has been? She is leading a team called the Brotherhood after all.
    I didn't think of that. It would be fun to go in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Some seem to have been waiting for the opportunity to jump on Ewing and throw him under the bus with every bad storm writer. This issue doesn't make me long for coates in the least. The positive is it takes away any real reason for storm to step down from the krakoa council and occupying what she does give her more freedom, the level of which tarn had to move around meaning there is now no excuse why she can't actively protect her mother and child. So at this point i'm expecting a Storm and the Guardians of the Galaxy or a bigger role all over the MU, that will be the tell for me what this is really about. If it ends with a gillien writing storm though i'm out. lol. I have to see where this takes her before i can really formulate anything especially since this is all she has. And this feels very connected to the path of judgement and sos which i have no interest in. And given the preview of it it's as little barf to see a grown woman take on the mantle of someone else daddy and even that in a sense feels like set up for Gillien's next big thing so i mean maybe just not for me but again time will tell.
    And who said she as regent couldn't protect the land? After all, she's also on the board.
    I knew this was going to happen one hours since the first issue when she destroyed the throne, I even commented. they're so predictable when it comes to Storm, she's always giving up titles they give her. I'm starting to believe that they use the character just to generate a stir and move masses because they know of his popularity. Storm was a big deal for red, but not for the growth of the character itself, but rather to promote the book.

No, it was just a tribute to whoever preceded the seat.