Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The build up to Phantom Menace was insane there was no YouTube and Online video was graining and awful so you had people going to theaters and buying tickets just to see the trailer. The only film in my lifetime that was close to that was Batman 89 it was nuts and early reviews were good but once the euphoria of having a new Star Wars movie wore off the question of "was it that good?" began to be asked but the real turn happened with AOTC people thought the flaws of TPM might had been a one time thing but AOTC was where people started going yeah these might not be that good and the buzz began to die. Now to be fair 2002 was a big year for new franchises the first Raimi Spider-Man, the first Harry Potter film, and the 2nd Lord of the Rings came out so there was also others things for people to latch on to.
    Yeah, I recall TPM being well received at the time.

AOTC probably colored fans' opinions of TPM in the same way BATMAN AND ROBIN had fans re-assessing BATMAN FOREVER (which was quite popular when it came out).

I recently re-watched the PT and enjoyed all of them. In fact, I think they get progressively better. ROTS is as good as anything in the franchise IMO. Lucas really knocked it out of the park with the final confrontation between Anakin and Obi-Wan. Would really liked to have seen what he would have done with Eps VII-IX.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

And the acting in the prequels isn't bad by any stretch. The only thing holding Christensen and Portman back in AOTC is the dialogue, but you see what they're actually capable of in ROTS.

I actually like AOTC just fine; of all the films, it's probably the closest in spirit to the old serials Lucas was inspired by, which IMO is why it's so misunderstood.

That "it's all the Russians' fault" silly trend is amusing though.

I even heard someone claiming that people in France manifesting were manipulated by Russian agents.

Sweet mother of Satan, what is this red menace going to be up to next?!!!
    Last edited by Starter Set; 12-27-2018 at 12:40 AM.

Talking

In Soviet Russia the Force uses you.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Or maybe, it's because lot of people didn't like the movie?
    I know I didn't.

I put off seeing TLJ for a year but finally succumbed at the weekend and I have to say I really enjoyed it, much more than TFA.

Personally I think it's a shame that RJ won't be helming E9, (which I fear will probably return to paint-by-numbers SW) but gives me anticipation to the new trilogy he is developing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
    I put off seeing TLJ for a year but finally succumbed at the weekend and I have to say I really enjoyed it, much more than TFA.

Personally I think it's a shame that RJ won't be helming E9, (which I fear will probably return to paint-by-numbers SW) but gives me anticipation to the new trilogy he is developing.
    I like Abrams' TFA work enough to be happy he's back, but I agree that Rian Johnson directing a trilogy with no real connections to the main movies has got me more excited for them then I would've been had it been someone else.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Seeing Rian Johnson work in TLJ makes not care how further he plans to butcher the Star Wars mythos with his own trilogy of films. He discards the work of others so putting him in a sandbox doesn't work for me even if it's disconnected from the main movies. The characters he created for TLJ haven't endured themselves to me so him working a clean slate of characters ain't gonna sell me. Rian Johnson and Star Wars is DoA to me. Won't even watch a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Seeing Rian Johnson work in TLJ makes not care how further he plans to butcher the Star Wars mythos with his own trilogy of films. He discards the work of others so putting him in a sandbox doesn't work for me even if it's disconnected from the main movies. The characters he created for TLJ haven't endured themselves to me so him working a clean slate of characters ain't gonna sell me. Rian Johnson and Star Wars is DoA to me. Won't even watch a trailer.
    Yeah, after watching TLJ I was left wondering what they were even going to do for episode 9. RJ burned everything down and didn't care if there was anything to work with afterwards.

This is what happens when people think that plot twists for the sake of plot twists are a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I like Abrams' TFA work enough to be happy he's back, but I agree that Rian Johnson directing a trilogy with no real connections to the main movies has got me more excited for them then I would've been had it been someone else.
    I was more excited to hear about David Benioff and D.B. Weiss doing a trilogy, After seeing Johnson's work with TLJ I was not impressed, it was terrible writing and horrible storytelling. He also (as pointed out by others) had little regarded to the set up that he had been give it Abrams' episode 7 so I'm not really hyped to see his additions to the SW universe. I'll watch it yeah but I'm "meh" about it, and won't rush to go see them as I have other SW movies in the past. It may surprise though as I went into SOLO with low expectation but came out really enjoying the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Yeah, after watching TLJ I was left wondering what they were even going to do for episode 9. RJ burned everything down and didn't care if there was anything to work with afterwards.

This is what happens when people think that plot twists for the sake of plot twists are a good idea.
    The "twist" were stupid. No body parents... Johnson said it himself it was really put there because it was the last thing that the audience would expect and not with some grand idea of the story. The biggest problem with the new Star Wars Trilogy is there no single vision, Colin Trevorrow's leaving and reasons for such underling this fact. That would mean that the "twist" were as you put it there for just for the sake of having a plot twist and not to add to the future of the story. It's sad really.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 01-02-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I was more excited to hear about David Benioff and D.B. Weiss doing a trilogy, After seeing Johnson's work with TLJ I was not impressed...
    Fair enough.

...it was terrible writing and horrible storytelling. He also (as pointed out by others) had little regarded to the set up that he had been give it Abrams' episode 7 so I'm not really hyped to see his additions to the SW universe.
    With all due respect, I don't think that TLJ ignored the setup of TFA so much as it didn't conform to fan hype and pet theories. Fair enough if you didn't think if flowed well or was badly written, but I think that the major twists (Luke exiling himself from the rest of the Galaxy and Rey's parents being nobodies) were very organic to the foundation that TFA had established. Heck, TFA outright told us that Rey's parents weren't important to the story beyond what Rey herself invested in it. Mileage may vary.

I'll watch it yeah but I'm "meh" about it, and won't rush to go see them as I have other SW movies in the past. It may surprise though as I went into SOLO with low expectation but came out really enjoying the movie.
    That was basically my experience with Solo as well.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    With all due respect, I don't think that TLJ ignored the setup of TFA so much as it didn't conform to fan hype and pet theories. Fair enough if you didn't think if flowed well or was badly written, but I think that the major twists (Luke exiling himself from the rest of the Galaxy and Rey's parents being nobodies) were very organic to the foundation that TFA had established. Heck, TFA outright told us that Rey's parents weren't important to the story beyond what Rey herself invested in it. Mileage may vary.
    A lot of the hype of this came from things like Abrams building up Snoke calling him the most dangerous villain ever in Star Wars fueling interest and theories from fans.... Johnson showed how dangerous by killing him off with a blind sided sucker punch, soooo dangerous. Luke is hiding from his mistakes with the excuse is that he must do nothing and his problems will go away even Mark Hamill was upset by the direction, that Luke would never do that... and may fans agreed, it was also so anticlimactic ( is a word to explain the all of TLJ) and the hype started with the Search for Skywalker ended in the ?redemption? of Skywalker which never really needed to happen in the first place to be honest.

Abrams built Rey up the part where she is a little girl and is being taking away by Unkar Plutt as a ship flies off in the distance as she is looking up to the sky.. the Light Saber Anakin Skywalker actually calling out to her and Maz's reacting to it.. the same light saber bypassing that actual Skywalker lineage and come to her... Abrams kept her own lineage close to the vest feeding the hype Simon Pegg said in an interview that JJ had a completely different lineage for her. On that note Daisy Ridley said in an interview "and I do believe Rian didn’t keep anything from the first draft [by JJ] of the Episode VIII script.”

Finn.. he went from a guy that was running away to a guy that in running into the middle of a fight against his former comrades and almost sacrificing his life after telling off Phasma in TFA tooooo a guy that was running way that turned in to a guy running into the middle of a fight against his former comrades and almost sacrificing his life after telling of Phasma in TLJ ??? Rian also did wonders with Phasma that through Comics and Books seem to maybe becoming the first female baddie from the movies... nope she is dead so Finn can deliver an unneeded one liner because he was only repeating his story arch from the last movie... RIP Phasma you died for nothing.

And Poe, poor Poe who displayed a personality of a win at any cost flyboy that will disobey and allow all his people to get killed so that he can win a battle and forget about the war to hell with strategy and plaining in TLJ... A personality that is not in TFA or any of the comics or book that have been published. His actual personality prior to TLA was more in line with the original trilogy Luke, not so much now.

Hux... The young, confident, passionate, and driven face of the First Order almost seeming to be bred leader for them. Is now a incompetent fool that is distracted by yo momma jokes and is disgraced in front of his men that look at him with disrespect.

Johnson literally threw JJ's outline for episode 8 in the trash and then said in an interview when asked if JJ shared his ideas on who Rey's parents are:

He didn’t have any idea?
    Well, I don’t know. He might have had thoughts in his head who it was going to be, but he didn’t dictate them to me. He left it open, you know.
    He wrote a draft for both 8 and 9 and per Daisy Ridley Jonson saw at least the one for 8 and they had to have talked and it seems off that Pegg would know that JJ had an idea of who they were but not Johnson... This just does not ad up.

So yeah I don't see how anyone can say that he didn't ignore what was set up in TFA and that it just didn't live up to the "fan hype"... hype that was stoked and pushed by Abrams, Lucas Arts and Disney. That was set up by them and it was good hype that made people want to go and see the next movie. People left the movie talking "who the hell is Snoke", "Where is Rey from who are her people", and "What the hell is up with Luke"? We spent 2 excited years going over and over giving thoughts and theories with an awesome Rogue One in the middle. Then the anticlimactic TLJ and now we have spent over a year debating on how crappy that movie was with little hype for 9 other than... well lets see where Abrams takes it, is he gonna retcon it?
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Some fans I've talked to don't even know where episode 9 can go as Johnson scorch the Earth with TLJ. Abrams will need to do a lot of course correction if he intends to end things with episode 9.

All I really want out of Episode 9 is for Phasma to be back, and then apparently killed again. She should become the Kenny of the Star Wars films moving forward.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

This Russian bot claim seems like fake news from what I see.