Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Well the lightning still works because of Shazam and Mary Marvel or whatever. So my guess is they thought they could keep it there.

But I do wish we saw more static, hopefully the new Milestone comes soon!
    No it doesn't as the lightning is behind Mary Marvel.

Incredible Member

DC does not hate Static. They would love to use Static. They just don't have the rights to him currently.

DC hates Black Lightning. That's why we don't see him.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    No. Black Lightning isn't popular enough to sustain his own comic book.

From the Top 300 Comic Books lists (which are based primarily on what dealers order from Diamond),
    Oct. 2012 = 165th - DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #13 - 14,405 copies
    Nov. 2012 = 161st - DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #14 - 13,537 copies
    Dec. 2012 = 157th = DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #15 - 12,561 copies
    Jan. 2013 = 160th - DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #16 - 12,001 copies

It sure seems like it, this past April marked three years since his ongoing was cancelled, three years, and still no progress, and then this most recent slight, smfh, one disappointment after another.
    #MagnetoWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post
    It sure seems like it, this past April marked three years since his ongoing was cancelled, three years, and still no progress, and then this most recent slight, smfh, one disappointment after another.
    You did pay attention to all those posts where people pointed out DC doesn't OWN the character?

Astonishing Member

I just hope Milestone blows the top off when SDCC come around this year. I know they said they have multiple partners so I'd like to here about how they're going to approach their comics and non-comic adaptations going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You did pay attention to all those posts where people pointed out DC doesn't OWN the character?
    They dont own the character, but if i remember correctly, they have said quite a few times that DC DOES have the rights to use the character. And if it is true that the cover was made before Milestone announced they were gonna do their own thing, Why wouldnt they put in the effort to just edit him out of the cover like they did on the last page.
    Milestone 2.0 is happening and i am so excited. Looks like i know where my money is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    They dont own the character, but if i remember correctly, they have said quite a few times that DC DOES have the rights to use the character. And if it is true that the cover was made before Milestone announced they were gonna do their own thing, Why wouldnt they put in the effort to just edit him out of the cover like they did on the last page.
    my guess is that they told the artist ¨draw all the new 52 heroes on this cover, all of them¨ and that explains also why Wonder Woman still has her old costume here too

One of the reasons I liked Static as a character was because he was a fairly normal kid with a fairly normal family and school friends. This kept his stories, you should excuse the word, grounded. He was a DIY hero, uses garbage-can lids and anything else he could find.

When DC introduced him into The New 52, they left all of that behind. He moved to a new city, leaving his high school environment behind. (Presumably he still went to school, but it played little role.) He worked for STAR Labs. Hardware was his mentor, monitoring him and talking him through battles, and giving him super-tech equipment. And his normal ol' family became a Metahuman Mystery Family, dealing with the unexplained presence of two identical daughters.He was no longer a DIY superhero surrounded by ordinary people; he was a heavily supported hero surrounded by super-tech and metahumans. For me this took away what was original and interesting about him, and he was just another wisecracking, energy-blasting Member of the All-Encompassing Superhero Community.

I'm glad to hear Milestone is starting up again. I hope they keep their characters in their own universe. (I don't mind occasional multidimensional crossovers.) The characters were created to fit their particular milieu; they don't necessary fit well or flourish in the DCU. (Icon was basically "Superman as seen through the Milestone lens; he and Superman shouldn't be in the same universe, any more than Ka-zar should meet Tarzan.)

But that's just me.

Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Amazing Member

I've seen a few of the cartoons but never thought he was that interesting. Can someone explain why he's interesting to them?

Incredible Member

he's a black spiderman with a different powerset and a better family life.

Quote Originally Posted by Freako View Post
    I've seen a few of the cartoons but never thought he was that interesting. Can someone explain why he's interesting to them?
    See Dr. Bifrost's above post.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    One of the reasons I liked Static as a character was because he was a fairly normal kid with a fairly normal family and school friends. This kept his stories, you should excuse the word, grounded. He was a DIY hero, uses garbage-can lids and anything else he could find.

When DC introduced him into The New 52, they left all of that behind. He moved to a new city, leaving his high school environment behind. (Presumably he still went to school, but it played little role.) He worked for STAR Labs. Hardware was his mentor, monitoring him and talking him through battles, and giving him super-tech equipment. And his normal ol' family became a Metahuman Mystery Family, dealing with the unexplained presence of two identical daughters.He was no longer a DIY superhero surrounded by ordinary people; he was a heavily supported hero surrounded by super-tech and metahumans. For me this took away what was original and interesting about him, and he was just another wisecracking, energy-blasting Member of the All-Encompassing Superhero Community.

I'm glad to hear Milestone is starting up again. I hope they keep their characters in their own universe. (I don't mind occasional multidimensional crossovers.) The characters were created to fit their particular milieu; they don't necessary fit well or flourish in the DCU. (Icon was basically "Superman as seen through the Milestone lens; he and Superman shouldn't be in the same universe, any more than Ka-zar should meet Tarzan.)

But that's just me.

Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/
    The original Milestone universe contained plenty of things that were just as weird and non-"grounded" as the DCU.

There was stuff like Xombi and the Shadow Cabinet, for starters.

And Icon was still an alien who was tied to a galaxy-wide, multi-species alien republic in his stories.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    DC does not hate Static. They would love to use Static. They just don't have the rights to him currently.

Isn't Black Lightning in the JLU image. He's the guy in the blue orb, right? He also made an appearance in the Throne of Atlantis crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    The original Milestone universe contained plenty of things that were just as weird and non-"grounded" as the DCU.
    I didn't say it didn't. I said that was one of the things I liked about Static.